13 Posts

One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Can you use extra information? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Millie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've started to play this game recently and really love it. However, myself and other players occasionally use other information available to us. For example, sometimes during a player's turn doing a night action, we can tell if the player next to us gets up or moves. It doesn't happen intentionally but it does give some extra info. Also, some players sometimes notice that their card has changed orientation which would indicate that it has changed slightly, some people pick up on this.

I don't think anyone is doing this deliberately to cheat or anything but just little things that are picked up.

My question is, should the group be more strict to avoid these things happening or should things carry on as normal? What's the general opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not about having the keenest ears, smell or taste, or measuring/eyeballing card placement.

If they use extraneous information, then use it against them. Shuffle in your seat, move their card slightly during the night. Then claim troublemaker and switching them with a werewolf. That should teach them!

Laugh at them for trying to use such an obvious werewolf move on you innocent villagers to sow deception and distrust!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
Microbadge: Gamelyn Games fanMicrobadge: Unfair fanMicrobadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: I play with green!
I agree with everything that Pasi said, but honestly it's part of the fun. It's up to them to be more subtle about their actions, and also why some groups have everyone tap the table or play really loud music in the background.

Personally, I feel it adds to the ambiance. Imagine yourself actually in the village, you're nice and comfy in your bed, or sitting next to the fireplace reading a book, and you hear clattering the the house next door.

The next day at the town meeting when everyone is trying to find who the werewolf is, and if there is one at all, you can claim you heard noises from Joe's house next door... does mean anything though, he could have just been putting his dishes away (the player might have had an itch he needed to scratch).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have a role that lets me move a card, I tend to give them all a nudge, or a slight lift and drop on the table. Sure, people know there's a Troublemaker, but they have no idea where they went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First I will say every group should play how they like.

Personally I'm with Pasi that the game shouldn't be about hearing the noises. I am also not a fan of everyone making noises or stomping or whatever (because that is annoying). But I do think you should encourage the night action people to feel free to jostle other cards (without moving them) to provide additional misdirection. And of course there is the jostling at the end of the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
I definitely encourage all my players to shuffle around. Tap the table, jossle cards and do other things to make noise at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
I agree everyone should do what works for their group.

As for us, we take some measures to reduce sounds and the like. We put a blanket on the table to reduce sounds. Also, if there are a lot of us we sometimes stand and take a step back from the table during the night phase.

If you still catch on to something during the night, we have ruled that you are not allowed to mention it. (But we don't prevent you from personally taking advantage of that information.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, the same thing that makes me somewhat good at lying games (compartmentalizing away information I don't want to reveal) helps me pretend to not hear things in the night. I just keep playing as if I didn't hear cards move during the Troublemaker section, and after 30 seconds of talking I actually forget that I heard anything.

Or maybe I just have a goldfish brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel people move at night, start over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Millie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
The game is not about having the keenest ears, smell or taste, or measuring/eyeballing card placement.

If they use extraneous information, then use it against them. Shuffle in your seat, move their card slightly during the night. Then claim troublemaker and switching them with a werewolf. That should teach them!

Laugh at them for trying to use such an obvious werewolf move on you innocent villagers to sow deception and distrust!
I like this, yeah I think I might start throwing people off. Moving around when it's not my turn etc lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
If you feel people move at night, start over.
Not possible, there's 2-3 of us that intentionally move around (and if you are Tanner you definitely want to arouse suspicion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure yeah or that. I definitely run into my neighbors as much as possible during night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I get to wake up at night, I always move everybody's card around AND the center cards, regardless of what role I am, just to throw people off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls