Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I can figure this out easily on BGG, but this game seems hard to track how many different versions there are.

I've seen the basic game - War. I've seen this one - Devastation. I've also seen Devastation extended?

Does Devastation contain everything that was in War? If not, are they compatible, or would the Devastation dominate the earlier ones.

What is the point of "extended" editions?

I'm trying to get the most thorough experience I can for X-Mas Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extended is really an expansion for Devastation offering some new fighters, new standups. It's not really a standalone game.

Devastation and War are the two standalone games. I don't own War, but I do own Devastation. My understanding is that Devastation provides more fighters and also includes the solo variants. War is just the PvP fighting game with fewer fighters.

They should be compatible, however. But I can't speak to whether there is a difference in fighting styles that makes one better than the other.

Personlly, Devestation offers a ton of content, so I don't think you could go wrong picking that version up and seeing if you like what it offers before buying into any other sets or expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I can help since I have just recently bought all of the BattleCON line (but haven't played it all yet)...

To start with, none of the fighters are duplicated across sets.
You want to start with Devastation, War Remastered, or Fate. War Remastered and Fate include the more recent rule set (starting positions and force gauge) and a smaller board.

The Extended editions mostly add alternate costumes for the fighters of the related set. The War Extended also adds some striker cards. The Devastation Extended adds two new fighters (Borneo and Juto).

Edit
The "most thorough experience" would most likely be from Devastation since it has more fighters than War and Fate combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, War is the best starting point for someone who is curious about the system. It has a nice selection of characters and the most recent ruleset and dials. Devastation is a larger set with more play modes, including a solo variant. It's a huge smorgasbord of a game, and is an excellent set in it's own right. The characters a little more hit and miss, though (to be clear, though, there is far more hit than miss). It's also a good entry point, and largely compatible with the newer sets. The only issues are slightly revamped rules, slightly different card backs and the character dials are changed. The fighters are fully compatible though.

Fate is my least favorite set. The fighters are not as good overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the full game experience in one go, you'll need the three core games (War, Devastation, and Fate), the three content expansions (Strikers, Light and Shadow, and Armoury), War Extended and some of the promo characters (some of which may be had through ordering directly through Level 99's store). It would also retail for ~$230 plus the cost for the promos. Most of what came with Devastation Extended were either A) Alternate art standees and UAs for the characters, or B) Spun off into Armoury, and thus not needed.

That said, you'd get ~60 characters to play against each other, and you can change up each game with: Strikers, Arenas (a lot of them!), Beta Bases, Weapon Bases, EX bases (more powerful, designed for 2v1 play), Almighty Bases (much more powerful, designed for 3v1 play), Dungeon Quest (1-4 player cooperative dungeon crawl mode), Tag Team mode, 2 different Special Move modes (Special Action and Force Gauge), Boss Mode (3+ bonus Boss characters designed to play VS 2-4 other players with special rules), and more.

Getting started, you should definitely get War (best cost to value balance, 18 characters with Arenas), then Devastation (30 characters, and gives you Dungeon Quest, 2 part arenas, and Boss Mode), then wrap up with Fate (10 characters) and Armoury (character customization). This will help you spread out the cost while still opening up the variety as you go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with War Remastered (don't get the original War) and that was perfect for getting my feet wet. Devastations cast is more varied and not quite as straight-forward as Wars, but there's nothing too mind-boggling. Fate is the hit or miss set for me mostly due to balance issues I've experienced. I will say three of my favorite fighters are in Fate so it's still worth a look.

If you enjoy War you'll know whether you'll get the other two. I needed more fighters after about a month of playing (and I still haven't played the entire War cast yet!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, it depends entirely on how much you want to spend and what you're looking for.

Fate is the easiest and cheapest. It gives you 10 fighters, and a taste of the system. It is also the easiest in terms of gameplay options.

War is a step up. It gives you more fighters and has some new options.

And Devastation is the big boy. It gives you a ton of fighters and tons of gameplay options. It is the most expensive though.

Personally, I love the game, but I know a lot of people who don't. It isn't complicated, but it is a game that takes time to understand. Many people I have played with don't want to invest the time, and if you don't, the game can seem random and chaotic.

On the other hand, if it clicks with you, it is a unique and fascinating strategy game with a terrific theme.

I'd recommend starting with War Remastered. Those are the oldest characters in the game who have also been re-balanced. Also, more fighters than Fate. War is a great intro, and will give you a sense of whether you actually like the game or not without having to invest too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My recommendation is to buy War of the Indines. It's going to be a pretty "thorough" experience right out of the box. If you want a little upgrade from that, I would suggest going straight to the Strikers expansion.

That should keep you satisfied for quite awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.