Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow geeks! It's Monday! Another week in the books and as the weekend ends and as we toil at our assorted labors, we should recount our past week of gaming exploits.

So, all you gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of gaming greatness over the past week, as you pop in here to answer the question:

What did you play over the past week?

Check out the subscription thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4115320

The Geeklist version can be found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199322/what-did-you-play-...

Also, don't forget to relive all your Video Game excitement over on VGG!

Subscribe so you don't miss a single moment of the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What started out as a slow week due to being busy and actually going to Kansas City to celebrate the World Series with 800,000 other Royals fans, actually ended up being a pretty darn good weekend of gaming from Friday night through Saturday night.

Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde x1
Snowdonia x2(1x solo)
Castles of Mad King Ludwig x1(solo)
Burgle Bros. x1
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday 4th

Exploding Kittens
Codenames x2
Mercante

Friday 6th

Exploding Kittens
Villannex
Modern Art
Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation
Coup

Sunday 8th

Kingdoms
In the Shadow of the Emperor
Field of Glory: The Card Game
Lost Cities
Bonnie and Clyde
En Garde

I most enjoyed In the Shadow of the Emperor, a wonderful game that's one of my top ten and doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I least enjoyed Exploding Kittens, I can tolerate it as a two player game but with more I would rather be playing anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drewid English
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
You shame us all
badge
I had a very productive weekend, gaming wise (got bugger all else done mind)

First time Plays:
Pandemic - On the Brink expansion (x2)
Citadels (x3)
Zombies!!! (x3)
Sushi Go! (x1)

Other Games
The Grizzled (x2)
Hive (x4)

We all really enjoyed Citadels, especially the intrigue and attempts at manipulation. Can see that getting plenty more playtime in the future.

Zombies!!! was a surprising one as everyone really enjoyed it. Maybe I've been reading too many bad reviews on BGG but it went down a treat and everyone wanted to keep playing it with slightly modified rules. I hadn't expected my group to enjoy it as much as they did and it looks like I now need to start getting more competitive Amerithrash games for them!

Didn't really enjoy Sushi Go! that much (possibly as we'd been spoiled by playing Citadels previously) but it didn't immediately grab anyone in the group, either thematically or play-wise.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kyle smith
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started working on Food Chain Magnate. It's going to take a few plays to fully understand everything going on. But i'm excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Camel Up fanMicrobadge: Hive fanMicrobadge: Unbroken fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne fanMicrobadge: Krakatoa fan
2 x Dominion
4 x Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
What started out as a slow week due to being busy and actually going to Kansas City to celebrate the World Series with 800,000 other Royals fans,
I don't know what you're taking about, the Mets won the World Series, right? They're going to have their parade any day now, right? .... then they're going to come over to my house and we'll be best friends.... I'm going to need more games if they ALL show up!

Played more than usual this week:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig, secrets expansion, x1
K2, x1
Small City, x1
Loop Inc. x2
The Gallerist, x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Maracaibo fanMicrobadge: Grand Austria Hotel fanMicrobadge: Kanban: Automotive Revolution fanMicrobadge: COIN fan
Friday
1x The Grizzled
1x Istanbul with Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh
1x Blood Rage with Blood Rage: Mystics of Midgard and Blood Rage: Gods of Ásgard

Saturday
1x Darkness Comes Rattling
1x Rum & Bones
1x Istanbul with Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh
1x The Grizzled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few weeks with very little gaming, these past few weeks have been great!

On Tuesday, GF (still in China... Just two more months before I go there and, after three weeks of vacation, we're both coming back home ) and I played two games of Race for the Galaxy. I won the first because I managed to end the game just before her engine started delivering. She won the second by military victory just before my own engine started churning out VPs. I secretly love it when she beats me

On Wednesday, she beat me, yet again, in Takenoko. For some reason, my win rate in that game is low, low, low. Ah well, it has the panda

On Friday, we played Tokaido. It was a tight game, and I ended up winning by a single point. You should've seen her face! (We Skype while playing.) And it's not the first time I beat her by a single point in that game

On Saturday, I went to a local convention. I went alone, which unfortunately meant I didn't game a lot. The only other convention I've ever been to is Essen, and there you're virtually being dragged to a table by people at the stands. Here that wasn't the case. But after my initial buying spree, I walked around a bit and ended up at the little Go stand. I got some explanation and played three games. And now I'm intrigued and ordered a book to learn how to actually play it somewhat decently
In the evening, I played my first solo game of Agricola, which I picked up at the convention. I should've bought this game way earlier! I wanted it for a while, but never pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did, because it's awesome!

On Sunday, I went to a friend's place for a game day
We started out playing a game of Hive over lunch. It was his first game, so I won. But he liked it a lot
After that, we played Kingdom Builder. I mainly bought it because I had seen some praise for it here on the 'Geek, and it was cheap in Essen. After the first game, we immediately played a second, because it's just that much fun Glad I got this one!
Then, I gave him no other choice than to learn and play Agricola. Fortunately, he liked it a lot, even though I nearly doubled his score.
After dinner, I thought it might be nice to play something lighter, so I pulled out Patchwork. I also thought it was appropriate to play the other Uwe game I brought, and see the contrast with Agricola This time, he more than doubled my score. The 12 poins I got is actually pretty good for me, as I really suck at this game and I don't know why. Ah well
After that, there was time for one more game, so we played Keyflower. I really, really, really like this one, and he does too. It was our second game, and we had tons of fun. I won 57 to 55, muhaha!

And that concludes my gaming week. I'm really digging my meaty Euros! Can't wait to play Roads & Boats for the first time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday: Regular Wednesday meetup at Cool Stuff.
Samurai
-It was everyone's first time playing, so we didn't really know what a good strategy was, but we had fun.

Rum & Bones
-I love this game! If I had the money, I'd buy my own copy, it's so much fun!

Saturday: Met up at a freind's house.
Barony
-Pretty cool area control game. I enjoyed this one. Nobody was super aggressive, and maybe we should have been.

Lords of Waterdeep
-Always a blast.

Five Tribes
-I like this one more every time I play. Quickly becoming a favorite.

No Thanks! x3
-A good way to finish the night.

Sunday: Met up with some friends at Cool Stuff.
Parfum
-Heard this wasn't great, but I really enjoyed it.

Lords of Waterdeep with Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport
-I really love this game. It's still one of my favorite worker placement games. And there's almost always someone who wants to play it.

Imperial Settlers
-One of my favorites. The store closed before we could finish, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Rex
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday

Smash Up not good, not bad
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game another loss for everyone

Thursday
Only light games that day - Saboteur, King of Tokyo and BANG!.

Saturday

Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King. I love the look of the game but unfortunately the gameplay is very repetitive and too long - 3 hours of nothing but dice chuckling? No, thanks!

Sunday
Rum & Bones, this time epic fail on my part.
Beasty Bar
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space for rent.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Cubs fanMicrobadge: Who ya gonna call?Microbadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG poster
My group had their Extra Life event this weekend, and while I couldn't stay the entire time (I have a baby at home, there's no way I would make it past 11:00), I was there for a few hours to play. I got in a couple of games of You're Fired!, a game of Sushi Go!, and a game of Airlines Europe. Also, I had a game of Friday on Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2015 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: 2016 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: 2017 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: I completed the 2018 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
Very long days at work limited me to two plays…

Thursday
1x - Abyss - Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participant
1x - Palaces of Carrara - New to me

I've likely got a 2-3 more long weeks of work before hopefully I can use some vacation time and get caught up with things around the house, exercise, and some games. I've got a friend coming over one evening this week for hopefully a couple of games of Keyflower to help my 10x10 stats a bit. I'm going to have to get busy to complete this year's challenge. I'm already starting to think of the games for next year's.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Top 50 Games - 2015 Edition
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2015 List at 79/100
15 Games BK Wants to Play in 2015 at 5/15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamonds
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Code 777
Nosferatu
Mafia de Cuba
Alien Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
had a game night on Monday, then I was at Euroquest (http://www.euroquestcon.com/ this weekend (Thursday through Sunday) and played the following:

Favor of the Pharaoh x5
Between Two Cities x4
Kobayakawa x3
La Granja x2
Roll for the Galaxy x2
Splendor w/ Splendor: Nobles Promo Tiles x2
Steam Works x2
Tichu x2
Welcome to the Dungeon x2

1 time each:
Flip City,
Fresco,
La Granja: 2nd Edition Promo Cards,
Mysterium,
Nevermore,
New York 1901,
New York 1901: Flatiron,
Railways of the World,
Roll for the Galaxy: Ambition,
The Voyages of Marco Polo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb Bo
Germany
Köln
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1x Tobago
5x Escape: The Curse of the Temple
4x König und Konsorten
3x Zahlen Zickzack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1x Le Havre
1x Project Dreamscape
1x Quarriors! with Quarriors! Quarmageddon
1x Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally had a few moments to get back to the table with the wife and kids. Geez

Saturday the 7th
1x Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, two players
1x Carcassonne with both the Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders expansions, two players
4x One Night Ultimate Vampire, four players

Sunday the 8th
1x Kemet, two players
1x Small World Underground, two players
1x Love Letter, two players
4x One Night Ultimate Vampire, four players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter x 3
Hanabi x 2

My wife is really coming around on Love Letter. It's not that she didn't like it at first, but it was more of a "meh, it's fine" on our first game, but since it's so fast to play I just leave it on the table and suggest it - and now she really likes the game.

I think she likes Hanabi more than I do, though. I'm fine on it, but don't love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a pretty good week, and played a variety of games. Likely most will contribute to my 10x10 challenge.

Commands & Colors: Ancients X 2
Carcassonne X 1
EONS X 1
Evolution X 1 (thankfully finishing the 10x10 as we are DONE with this one for a while)
Merchant of Venus (second edition) X 1
Scythe X 1 (yep, the just-completed KS monster. PnP version to make the wait easier)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Le Havre fanMicrobadge: At the Gates of Loyang fanMicrobadge: Ora et Labora fanMicrobadge: Uwe says...
Linko! x2
Asara x1
The Palaces of Carrara x1
Takenoko x1
Lost Cities x1
Patchwork x1
Port Royal x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
Visby x 4
Combat Commander: Pacific x 1
Wir sind das Volk! x 1

+ Unannounced microgame prototype by well-known developer x 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x1 Istanbul
x2 The Grizzled - New to me. We got destroyed both times.
x1 Ca$h 'n Gun$ - New to me, it was just as fun as I imagined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MandatoryQuest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
They call him Cuban Pete..
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday

3 x Magic: The Gathering

Tuesday

1 x Evolution + Evolution: Flight
1 x Love Letter

I feel like we played another filler but I cant say for sure.

Board Game Arena

3 x Colt Express
1 x Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Extra Life this week, plus my regular night, so it was about as packed a week as I can manage.

Wednesday

Rattlebones
Lords of Waterdeep
Takenoko

Thursday

Mr. Jack x2

Saturday/Sunday (Extra Life)

The Resistance: Avalon
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
Space Alert
Ca$h 'n Gun$
7 Wonders