Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm relatively new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
Microbadge: What's Your Game fanMicrobadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: Wooden cube fanMicrobadge: Economic Games fanMicrobadge: I love dry, soulless Euros!!!
There are a couple of economic games I've played that have Mergers and Acquisitions featured as a primary mechanic. I really enjoyed this aspect in these games and am looking for more games like these. Would definitely appreciate your suggestions given my thoughts on these games.

Acquire - A classic game that many have played, although I just played my first couple of games recently. I REALLY love the way you can set yourself up to profit both by being acquired and acquiring other companies. The luck of the tile draws was a bit too much for me though so that took away from my overall enjoyment of the game. Maybe just a touch too simple, luck based and abstract for me to really love the game, but I like it a lot.

Indonesia - This was a really good experience and a great game but ultimately just a bit too long and fiddly for me to get to the table on my normal game nights. Something a bit shorter and maybe a notch lighter would be perfect as I really liked this game overall.

I have looked at Stephensons Rocket but really haven't got a firm grasp on how that one plays. I do think I could like mergers with or without the stock ownership component and would love to find out about other games that use this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ostrander
United States
PRINCETON
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a game that is very similar to aquire but with a airplane theme is "Airlines Europe", though it isn't really about mergers and aquisitions.

Lords of Vegas is a merger and acquisitions game with a touch of gambling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Lords of Vegas (love it!) and add Tigris & Euphrates and Reef Encounter. While not specifically "real estate" or business themed, both are very good merger and acquisition games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm relatively new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
Microbadge: What's Your Game fanMicrobadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: Wooden cube fanMicrobadge: Economic Games fanMicrobadge: I love dry, soulless Euros!!!
zatchstar wrote:
a game that is very similar to aquire but with a airplane theme is "Airlines Europe", though it isn't really about mergers and aquisitions.

Lords of Vegas is a merger and acquisitions game with a touch of gambling.
Yeah, I have owned Airlines Europe, but it's really not at all like Acquire in terms if mergers. I do own lots of stock games and love stock games in general, but it's the merger mechanic I'm really after.

Lords of Vegas is a good one. I'd forgotten about that. I guess I find the luck in that one even more annoying than in acquire though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
badge
montag66 wrote:
I'll second Lords of Vegas (love it!) and add Tigris & Euphrates and Reef Encounter. While not specifically "real estate" or business themed, both are very good merger and acquisition games.
Have Tigris and Euphrates. Feels more like a war game than a business game though, so maybe not what I was thinking of. But good point, it certainly does have mergers. I think one of things I liked about acquire was that you could benefit both from being acquired as well as acquiring, but in different ways.

Definitely need to try Reef Encounter. I know a couple of people who own it, but I've never played it and don't know much about it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
badge
MWChapel wrote:
Big Boss

Most 18xx games.
Really hadn't heard about Big Boss and was super excited when I saw it was a Wolfgang Kramer game. A quick scroll down to the marketplace listings quickly cooled off that excitement however.

18xx games have the same issue as indonesia for me. Too long, too slow and too fiddly. Just a bit though. I would love to see a somewhat shorter (2hours or so) mid to heavy euro with that mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldengamer wrote:

Indonesia - This was a really good experience and a great game but ultimately just a bit too long and fiddly for me to get to the table on my normal game nights. Something a bit shorter and maybe a notch lighter would be perfect as I really liked this game overall.

Something that I found surprising about Indonesia, was that with 5-players it actually seemed to finish noticeably faster than with 3. Still the fiddliness, but a faster game. I think this is because company-acquisition is what drives the game clock, and with more players, there are more company-slots available, therefor the game actually finishes faster. So, if you played with 3 players and found it too long, you might find it a better length with 5 players. (Though, it would still have the fiddly.)

There are 18xx variations that are shorter than 1830, aimed at 2-3 hours rather than 4-6. It may be worth looking for one of the shorter variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls