United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalray wrote:
Hi Pandemic fans,
what is the difference Pandemic vs. Pandemic: Legacy?

Pandemic: Legacy has ": Legacy" attached to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
metalray wrote:
Hi Pandemic fans,

Pandemic is a continually static experience with multiple expansions available. It has no limit to its replayability other than your own interest in the game.

Pandemic Legacy is a limited experience of between 12 and 24 plays with the rules and game changing from session to session, evolving based on the player performance and choices.

I have not played Pandemic Legacy and I am a big fan of Pandemic.

I will be either purchasing or participating in a play through of Pandemic Legacy despite owning Pandemic because I feel that they are two different experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon's summary is pretty much spot on. I would add that familiarity with Pandemic does help a bit with Pandemic:Legacy, it is not necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
metalray wrote:
Hi Pandemic fans,

Pandemic is a continually static experience with multiple expansions available. It has no limit to its replayability other than your own interest in the game.

Pandemic Legacy is a limited experience of between 12 and 24 plays with the rules and game changing from session to session, evolving based on the player performance and choices.

I have not played Pandemic Legacy and I am a big fan of Pandemic.

I will be either purchasing or participating in a play through of Pandemic Legacy despite owning Pandemic because I feel that they are two different experiences.
This is an inaccurate comparison and somewhat disingenuous, though at least there is an open declaration of bias

Every game of Pandemic uses exactly the same rules (assuming that you don't add any expansions). That's not to say that every game is the same, there is significant replayability in the game.

On the other hand, the first 12-24 games of Pandemic:Legacy will use an evolving set of rules that also include changes to the starting state of the board, to the rules for the diseases and for the characters. These changes in rules are triggered by events in the game by decisions by the players and by the outcome of each game. Some of these rules might include elements seen in expansions for Pandemic. Once you have played your Pandemic:Legacy for a full "season" you will have your own personal Variant set of Pandemic that can be played with that static set of rules as many times as you like, with a degree of replayability/variability not dissimilar to that of "standard" Pandemic.

I am "played out" on Pandemic, because I played a lot of Pandemic and Pandemic On The Brink and got to the point where, despite variability in the game, it was "solved" enough to lack interest. (I didn't buy any more expansions because I had first edition Pandemic and really don't appreciate the compromises necessary to use the - albeit excellent - further expansions). I am, however, regaining an appreciation of the Pandemic Family, through playing through the first season of Pandemic:Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom En
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

I am "played out" on Pandemic, because I played a lot of Pandemic and Pandemic On The Brink and got to the point where, despite variability in the game, it was "solved" enough to lack interest. (I didn't buy any more expansions because I had first edition Pandemic and really don't appreciate the compromises necessary to use the - albeit excellent - further expansions).

It is so true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
This is an inaccurate comparison and somewhat disingenuous

What was inaccurate or disingenuous about that? It all sounded correct to me.

mccrispy wrote:
Once you have played your Pandemic:Legacy for a full "season" you will have your own personal Variant set of Pandemic that can be played with that static set of rules as many times as you like, with a degree of replayability/variability not dissimilar to that of "standard" Pandemic.

What on the box or in the rules leads you to say this?

I'm only a few games into a year of Legacy, but other local gamers have had games where several characters have died; tearing up a bunch of character cards means that you could be stuck with fewer roles than players in future games, significantly decreasing the replayability relative to normal Pandemic. Maybe there's some end-of-game packet with a bunch of base-game role cards to turn it into something like normal Pandemic, but I haven't seen anything on/in this box yet which makes me think it's intended for long-term replayability, and branding it "season 1" gives the impression that it's meant to be ephemeral entertainment--once you're done with it, you're supposed to look forward to season 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
This is an inaccurate comparison and somewhat disingenuous

What was inaccurate or disingenuous about that? It all sounded correct to me.

mccrispy wrote:
Once you have played your Pandemic:Legacy for a full "season" you will have your own personal Variant set of Pandemic that can be played with that static set of rules as many times as you like, with a degree of replayability/variability not dissimilar to that of "standard" Pandemic.

What on the box or in the rules leads you to say this?

I'm only a few games into a year of Legacy, but other local gamers have had games where several characters have died; tearing up a bunch of character cards means that you could be stuck with fewer roles than players in future games, significantly decreasing the replayability relative to normal Pandemic. Maybe there's some end-of-game packet with a bunch of base-game role cards to turn it into something like normal Pandemic, but I haven't seen anything on/in this box yet which makes me think it's intended for long-term replayability, and branding it "season 1" gives the impression that it's meant to be ephemeral entertainment--once you're done with it, you're supposed to look forward to season 2.

Oh, right, so we're comparing Pandemic with all the expansions against PL? 'Cos I'm pretty sure that you'll end up with at least as many roles at the end of Season 1 as you got with base Pandemic. And they'll be more interesting too.

Of course the Publisher wants you to play Season 2 after Season 1. But what's to stop you playing with the end condition of the game as the starting position for multiple games of Pandemic: Your Unique Version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you'll end up with at least as many roles at the end of Season 1 as you got with base Pandemic. And they'll be more interesting too.

You know roles get destroyed/permanently removed in Legacy; why are you pretty sure you'll end up with at least as many roles as in base Pandemic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you'll end up with at least as many roles at the end of Season 1 as you got with base Pandemic. And they'll be more interesting too.

You know roles get destroyed/permanently removed in Legacy; why are you pretty sure you'll end up with at least as many roles as in base Pandemic?
Because I have faith that the designers figured out that they needed to make sure that even the most (ahem!) unlucky players aren't going to lose sufficient team members that they can't play the game any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Because I have faith that the designers figured out that they needed to make sure that even the most (ahem!) unlucky players aren't going to lose sufficient team members that they can't play the game any more.

They did address that, with civilians. I'm getting the impression that when you said "I'm pretty sure," you meant "I hope."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

They did address that, with civilians. I'm getting the impression that when you said "I'm pretty sure," you meant "I hope."
How many games have you been stuck playing a civilian after your unfortunate accident?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
How many games have you been stuck playing a civilian after your unfortunate accident?

We haven't had anyone die yet in the few games I've played personally, but I don't see how that's relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

We haven't had anyone die yet in the few games I've played personally, but I don't see how that's relevant.
So you are just assuming that they die and don't get replaced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You and I have both said we've played at least one game of Legacy; if we're both telling the truth, then you know I know new roles are added over the course of the campaign, and your question doesn't make any sense. I think we're done here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You and I have both said we've played at least one game of Legacy; if we're both telling the truth, then you know I know new roles are added over the course of the campaign, and .
your question doesn't make any sense. I think we're done here
You are unable to understand the sense of my questions posed in a manner that avoids spoiling, fair enough. We are indeed done here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.