Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Should i buy star wars? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of buying this, but, i haven't actually played it...... All i want to know, is, does it deserve its top 10 position? I mean, is it a fad thing or is it actually one of the best games ever made and will stay that way? Does it have staying power like, for example, eclipse or other boardgame classics? I only like intelligent games with a lot of depth, although I'm a fan of star wars I dislike games that get success mainly out of franchise association rather than their content. Also I just want to make sure there is no cult of the new hype etc... Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some strategy here, and I would say you get your money's worth. It got a lot of milage out of the franchise it is based upon though. If they had released the same game with a generic sci fi theme, it would not be ranked as high as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
I think the position is mostly deserved for two games in one box (campaign and skirmish). Even if you give the other game in the box a poor number, the composite would be very high.

Imperial Assault has quite a bit of strategy when you get to it. And your strategy needs to take into account tactics, the roll of the die, surprises, and responses from the other side (whether rebel or imperial). The first campaign will be quite a learning one though.

Imperial Assault is the game that I wanted to play so much that I got into Play by Forum games. I'm running 2 campaigns as the imperial player, and rebel in two others. And oh boy, PBF is the way it becomes especially strategic.

(45 missions played and counting.)

It is still totally upto you and your group whether you like it or even get to play it. Do you like 1vs1 (skirmish) or 1vs1-4 (campaign) games? Do you get any lift from it being scifi or it being Star Wars? Are you a painter? If you are a completionist, maybe think twice or set yourself limits before starting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
There's some strategy here, and I would say you get your money's worth. It got a lot of milage out of the franchise it is based upon though. If they had released the same game with a generic sci fi theme, it would not be ranked as high as it is.
The game was previously released with a "generic" fantasy theme in the form of Descent, which sits squarely in the top 50 (currently ranked 41).

IA is a refinement of that system, and I'd say it's place in the top 10 (and ~30 positions above Descent) is in part due to that refinement, but mostly due to the Star Wars theme.

But the fact that Descent is so highly regarded for this type of game speaks to the fact that it's not ONLY popular because of the SW theme. It is a very solid system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Part of that though is the good marriage of theme and mechanics. Just being Star Wars doesn't mean instant top 10. X-Wing is an incredible Star Wars game and it's only rank 27. This game does a really good job at marrying Descent's mechanics with the theme of Star Wars, and that's why it's got such a high rank. It feels a lot like you're participating in one of the many unsung songs of the Rebellion, or crushing the resistance they offer, which is one reason it's struck such a cord with the gamers.

Having said that, I think the game's "intelligence with a lot of depth" comes in the skirmish game. I love playing that, I feel like I'm in control and it feels both highly tactical and strategic. The campaign game is fun, but feels like you're less in control and more along for the ride. If you like 1v1 games (and soon 2v2), then yes, definitely get it. If not, try the campaign first to make sure you like it before buying it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvils Feldmanis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play many different RPGsMicrobadge: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons player
YES YES.

Buy you must, there is no decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pax Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Terramara fanMicrobadge: Mombasa fanMicrobadge: Barrage fanMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fan
Personally I think Star Wars: Armada owns the s**t outta IA and X-Wing. Not for everyone but the game is just so damn fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaneAAA wrote:
All i want to know, is, does it deserve its top 10 position? I mean, is it a fad thing or is it actually one of the best games ever made and will stay that way? Does it have staying power like, for example, eclipse or other boardgame classics?
At this point in BGG's ranking system, it's really hard for a new game to crack the top 10. Maybe a couple new games a year will do it. That right there says something. And inevitably, some of the novelty will wear off, and other new games will be really popular for a little while. I doubt it will stay in the top 10 forever. Few games that make the top 10 last more than a few years there. But I think it's realistic to expect it to stay in the top 20 or 30 for some years to come.

Descent 2nd edition is a good benchmark. Imperial Assault is basically a Descent re-theme, but with a viable, tournament-friendly skirmish mode. So, take Descent, bump it up a few notches for improved mechanics, a few more notches for the skirmish mode, a few more notches for the tournament scene/publicity/prize support, and a bunch of notches for a Star Wars theme.

In terms of longevity, I think Imperial Assault will have some legs. Star Wars is as popular as ever right now, with 6 new movies slated to come out in the next 6 years. The game is very well supported by FFG, with new waves to keep the game fresh. X-Wing is a good indicator of what to expect from IA. 3 years out, it's more and more popular every year, has a huge tournament scene, and is about to release Wave 8. And it's moved into the Force Awakens era.

Twin Shadows and Return to Hoth are good indicators that this isn't a core game with a bunch of minis, but rather a game system that can easily be expanded to different settings and time frames. If X-Wing can make the leap to Force Awakens territory, Imperial Assault is simply a big box expansion away from doing the same thing.

TL;DR The ranking is legit, but don't be surprised if it drops a few notches each year. It's theme is crazy popular and works well with the mechanics. Expect lots of expansions for at least a half dozen years of so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
But the fact that Descent is so highly regarded for this type of game speaks to the fact that it's not ONLY popular because of the SW theme.
Never stated otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I'm just really interested in the innovation in the game mechanics themselves. I have no problem buying a game which takes from another and improves it ( I have nations which is based on Through the Ages, and I love it). Is it a copy of descent (haven't played that either), or are there significant improvements to the mechanics from that game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaneAAA wrote:
Is it a copy of descent (haven't played that either), or are there significant improvements to the mechanics from that game?
The mechanical (game-rules) improvements are small but meaningful.
The skirmish-mode is all new and does not exist in Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
There are a lot of small things that affect the game a lot. Like the new campaign structure and alternating activations. (Ah, and the use of threat and threat cost as a way to keep the deployment of different units balanced.)

And of course there is the skirmish mode. Unfortunately I rarely get to play 2-player games, I would probably be really into skirmish otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
grant5 wrote:
But the fact that Descent is so highly regarded for this type of game speaks to the fact that it's not ONLY popular because of the SW theme.
Never stated otherwise.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was contradicting you. I was just expanding on what you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaneAAA wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I'm just really interested in the innovation in the game mechanics themselves. I have no problem buying a game which takes from another and improves it ( I have nations which is based on Through the Ages, and I love it). Is it a copy of descent (haven't played that either), or are there significant improvements to the mechanics from that game?
I would say that this game is far less "swingy" than original Descent. There are no ultra-powerful abilities/weapons that you randomly get that completely swing the game towards one side or the other like in Descent. This is both a positive and negative in my view. Every chest you opened in Descent was like Christmas and provided the players significant incentive to move forward. In IA there aren't really any chests, just supply crates with mediocre one-use items so there is a lot less exciting randomness mid-mission. That said, missions feel way more balanced and unless a big mistake is made early you usually can't tell who is going to win until the mission is almost over (in my experience).

As someone mentioned above there is a great marriage of mechanics and story. Again, this is a positive and negative for some. Because the game focuses around the Star Wars narratives the mission often isn't about wiping out every enemy you come across. Sometimes you just dodge/suffer a lot of hits, only fighting when absolutely necessary, while plowing forward to accomplish the objective. If you really enjoyed the constant focus on combat in Descent, don't expect that same focus in IA (unless you want to lose as the Rebels more often than not).

It's a great game and I think its place in the top ten is a product of both its quality and "newness". Over time I wouldn't expect it to stay there. Probably down to top 20-30 over the next few years is my guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I debated this one for months in the lead-up to its release. I have never been good at strongly tactical combat games, so I generally shy away from them. At the same time, I am a serious Star Wars fan, with a lot time and money invested in a variety of Star Wars material -- books, role-playing games, music, etc.

I watched several reviews and previews of Imperial Assault. The character advancement aspect connected to the RPGer in me. At the same time, the fact this was expressly not an RPG meant the Imperial player did not have to pull any punches, his job was to win just as much as the Rebel players. On top of that, the components are stunningly beautiful.

As you may have guessed by now, I ultmately decided to buy in. In fact, I have fully committed to this game. I have every figure pack and expansion to date, and am preparing to preorder the Hoth material.

I have three different groups playing this game in campaign mode. So far, I am the Imperial player in all of them, but will soon have the chance to be a Rebel. I expect at least one of my groups to play this game regularly for years to come. As long as more expansions keep coming, the game will remain fresh and hold our interest.

I can't specifically say whether or not you should buy the game, but I can suggest that you continue seeking opinions and experiences, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls