United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's our issue:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We're in Early April and just realized we TOTALLY ignored city panic levels. We have not marked a single one that had outbreaks.

Thoughts on how we should move forward?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Should we:
A. Just push on, and remember to do panic levels from now on.
B. Try to figure a way to mark a few cities. (Thoughts on how to do this)
C. Live in shame and go buy another copy to start over.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Chip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you have a sense of how many outbreaks have taken place? If so, you could randomly draw cards from the deck to apply panic levels. E.g. if you think you've had 4 outbreaks per game, you might draw 4 cards per game, reshuffling the deck in between "games" and apply the panic markers that way. Or you could try to guess roughly what cities it was--oh, I know we had some outbreaks in northern yellow cities in Africa, so let's put a panic marker in Kinshasa. And there was an outbreak in North America, but not in Atlanta, so let's put a panic marker on New York, even though it might have been Montreal we just don't remember.

If you don't remember at all, then I'd assume a number like 4 or 5 outbreaks per game. You do still want to get the panic markers on the board.

Alternately, you could just adjust your funding level, but that's a much less equivalent adjustment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'd go with B.

What is your win-loss record?

Maybe draw a random city from each of the six regions. Shuffle these. The first one gets panic level 2, and its surrounding cities get level 1.

The second card/city gets level 2.

The others get level 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I guess i'd guestimate how many outbreaks you had in total (just try to remember roughly how far down you moved on the meter for each game).

Then shuffle the infection deck, and draw infection cards equal to 80% of that guestimate total, and then sticker those cities at unstable (1).

Then take that those cards for the now unstable cities, shuffle, and draw 40% of them and mark the those cities as panic (2)'s.

Then take that smaller set of cards and draw 30% of them to mark as panic (3)s.

Then take that even smaller set of cards and draw 20% to mark as collapsing (you shouldn't get any of these unless you had a LOT of outbreaks).

And finally, take 10% of those collapsing cities, and sticker 'em as fallen!

So if guessed you had 20 total outbreaks (give or take) then you'd go through this process:

sticker (80% of 20) 16 random cities as lvl 1 (unstable)
sticker (40% of 16) 6 of those cities as upgraded to lvl 2
sticker (30% of 6) 2 of those cities as upgraded to lvl 3
sticker (20% of 2) 0 of those as collapsing
sticker (10% of 0) 0 of those as fallen

So that would mean you've got 10 unstable cities on the board, 4 panic (2) cities, and 2 panic (3) cities if your original guess was 20 total outbreaks..

Or something like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For some data, we've played through end of May and have had 23 outbreaks (2 loses, 4 wins).

11 unstable (1)
3 panic (2)
2 panic (3)

0 level 4 or 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farsidehobbes wrote:
For some data, we've played through end of May and have had 23 outbreaks (2 loses, 4 wins).

11 unstable (1)
3 panic (2)
2 panic (3)

0 level 4 or 5

Sounds about right -- 5 wins - 1 loss -- really only had one bad game due chain outbreaks; otherwise, we average 1-2 outbreaks per game.

10-12 unstables (1)
3 panic lvl 2
0 panic lvl 3
0 collapsing (4)
0 fallen (5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the suggestions in this thread. Throwing out some more data here.

We're 3-2 after early April, with the following levels of panic:

8 unstable (level 1)
7 rioting (level 2)
nothing beyond that

Every panicked city is adjacent to at least one more panicked city. The worst of it is a mess of six contiguous panicked cities. That ought to be fun later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody. Great ideas.

I think that will work. We are just starting April, and estimate that we've had about 12 outbreaks. We have prior experience with Pandemic, so we were very focused on managing outbreaks during game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls