Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitting down with new players reinforced a couple of things about The Gallerist. First, the production quality is amazing. Both players were really impressed with the game, the production quality and especially the art. Both thought that the cover of the game was one of the most beautiful covers they'd seen. Second, the game is complicated. Even though there's only four action spaces and only two actions per space, there's a lot you can do and a lot to think about every time.

I started what turned out to be a fairly lengthy rules explanation. There's a lot going on in this game, and you don't want to end up mid-game with someone telling you that you forgot to explain something. I think the rulebook does a pretty good job of laying things out, so I used the rulebook as an outline and explained everything in the order it came up in the rulebook. I think that ended up being a good way to teach the game.

We started out with a lot of Collectors and VIP's in the plaza with only a few Investors. The Blue player was able to immediately pull one of them into his gallery with a bonus tile and then pull the other investor into his lobby. We thought we'd see more of them soon, but it ended up that none came out for a very long time. The Orange player made a point of pulling VIP's while the Purple player didn't focus on Visitors as much.

Purple discovered an artist and Blue jumped on board, buying some artwork from the same artist. They formed an informal alliance to promote that artist and drive the value of the artwork up. Orange discovered an artist as well, but was left without anyone to partner with.

Blue focused on getting bonuses which paid out money for his Investor and promoting an artist. Purple focused a little too heavily on promoting their artist. Orange bought and sold an artwork, which let him bring a second collector into his gallery.

Purple got into a little bit of a money bind and had to find a way to buy her commission from the artist she had discovered and then sell it for quick cash. Blue went on a hiring spree with all the cash he had collected. Orange discovered another artist.

Blue jumped on board with Orange's artist hoping to ride the coattails of Orange's ability to pump up the fame. Orange decided to hold off for a bit and devoted some time to getting contracts and buying artwork. Purple was again in a money bind and was forced to trigger some bonus tiles for influence or money when she only profited by a single influence or money. Not having Visitors in her gallery really hurt.

Blue sold out of Orange's artist and focused on bidding in the auction. Purple also went into the auction as well. Orange focused on promoting his artist and buying more art. Orange never found a chance to hire many assistants and couldn't compete in the auction. When Orange did go to the International market it was to get reputation tiles.

Blue tried quite a bit to buy the artwork other player's were promoting rather than promoting himself. Blue was able to snap up the third Investor that appeared in the plaza and largely got money through Investor bonuses. Purple tried discovering and promoting artists but was really hampered all game by a lack of money. Orange focused on promoting his own artists, selling for a profit when he needed money.

More investors eventually came out, and Orange pounced on them. Purple was able to grab one, but it was a little too late to help. The intermediate scoring was triggered when one pile of tickets ran out and Blue and Orange fared fairly well, while Purple didn't see much benefit at all.

The game ended fairly quickly after that. Orange was able to promote two artists to Celebrity status, keeping one masterwork in his museum and selling two others for cash. The the game ended when the tickets ran out.

Blue won the auction with Purple coming in second. Both got paintings that helped them with their Curator bonuses. Both Blue and Purple had focused on getting Curator bonuses. Orange had focused more on his Art Dealer bonuses, but didn't do as well as either Blue or Purple in the end game scoring for the Curator/Art Dealer cards. Orange won the first column in the International market. No one went to the second column, and Blue won the third column with Purple taking second place. Orange had focused on reputation tiles while the other players fought over the auction. Orange scored fairly well from those tiles, while the other players had largely ignored reputation tiles altogether.

Orange won with a slight lead over Blue, with Purple trailing behind a fair bit. All the players enjoyed the game, but everyone felt that Blue's control over all the Investors in the early game through the mid game was huge, and that Purple not having many Visitors in her gallery was crippling.

I'm looking forward to play again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played 2 games, but I agree. Getting visitors into your gallery is really important.

I think the more difficult to acquire collectors may be most important, since they add a quick fame boost to any artist from whom you make a purchase. They also add to money and influence actions, albeit a bit less than a VIP or investor does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering that it took so long for investors to appear. You do know that random visitors are placed on all of the top artworks equal to the number of tickets displayed and are placed in the Plaza when the artwork is purchased. When artworks are purchased, new visitors are placed on the newly exposed artwork as well.

You are also limited to the number of white collectors by the collector's rule - you can only have as many collector's as the number of SOLD artworks you have plus 1. So no sold artwork means a limit of 1 and 1 sold artwork means a limit of 2, etc.

I am really enjoying this game myself. I hope you get to play again soon!

Best
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(edit)OOOOH ... ignore the below. It was investors that came out slow, not collectors. My bad. (edit)

I have a partial answer for you ... during setup, you place 4 of the white collectors on the undiscovered Red artists. Now, when you draw for initial setup, or to place visitors on the unsold works of art, the bag is pretty heavily biased away from collectors.

Just shooting from the hip, as I recall, for a 3 player game, you start with 12 each of Collector, VIP, and Investor. Now, take 4 collectors out of the bag, what remains? 8 collectors, and 24 "not" collectors, so each draw during setup has only about a 25% chance of being a collector.

In my VAST experience (uh, 2 games at 3 players each) there will be only 1 or 2 collectors available on the board to begin. And you can bet I'll be looking for a way to get one of them into my gallery (since only 1 fits at first. Not sure if my gallery is very small, or they are very fat!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am wondering that it took so long for investors to appear. You do know that random visitors are placed on all of the top artworks equal to the number of tickets displayed and are placed in the Plaza when the artwork is purchased. When artworks are purchased, new visitors are placed on the newly exposed artwork as well.
Yes, I am aware. It was just luck if the draw, we got a lot of collectors and investors that came out early. It certainly made for an interesting game! I'm hoping my next game will be a little more balanced with the visitor mix so I can see how that plays out.

And I also think going heavy into VIP's and getting into the high influence range where one influence can be spent for one money is a coping strategy that might have been a good counter for sparse investors. We didn't hit upon that during our play, but I want to try it out sometime to see how manageable it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul troke
United Kingdom
hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
The Beatles Live at the BBC
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time bryan give the bag a good shake before drawing out visitors
I agree with mark about the need to get collectors in your gallery
That's what i love about this game, it's so well thought out,on the
one hand you might say why bother selling works of art when i'm going to
get paid for them in the end game scoring but on the other hand unless you sell your art you wont get more than 1 collector in your gallery to boost the fame of your artists
Great Game, Great components
A big thumbs up to Vital and Eagle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality of the game overall is good but you have a MAJOR issue with the cardboard money - namely the 5s that tore apart in the middle several times. I can't imagine this one copy is the only one suffering from this so don't be surprised to hear requests for coin tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.