Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Poll: How often are your investigators defeated before the final mystery. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know this is going to be based on a number of factors (how many investigators you use, choice of Ancient One, difficulty selection in the Mythos setup, just plain luck, experience of the players, etc.), but I'm curious to know from those who've played several games just how often their investigators are defeated (before the Ancient One's final mystery).

I'm not talking about wins vs losses. I'm talking about, an investigator is killed or driven insane, and the player selects a new investigator to play in subsequent rounds.

I was playing a game this weekend where I started with 4 investigators, playing against Rise of the Elder Things, using only "normal" Mythos cards (no easy or hard). My game is still in progress (halfway through the Mythos deck), and I've already had 2 investigators killed/insane, with another looking in pretty bad shape. I don't feel like I'm doing horribly, though. I've past 2 of the 4 mysteries and the Doom is only at 14.

Is it normal to churn through investigators like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say a lot of cases it is normal, even strategically desirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 5 and half plays, I recall losing at least 1 investigator every time and at least 2 investigator 3 times. Also, I don't remember the numbers, but insanity was much more common than death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My investigators tend to die quite often. It's not a very big deal most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah don't get too attached to any of your investigators because, like an episode of Game of Thrones, someone (and often many!) will die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so this thread makes me feel better. A friend and I played our first two games on the weekend. The first we lost very badly, losing 5 investigators between the two of us. The second game we barely pulled out a win and didn't lose any investigators. The main difference between the two games was fighting the monsters. The first game we just jumped in and tried to attack the monsters, the second we did everything we could to avoid them. Granted, we did have some spectacularly horrific dice rolling as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 77% of my games played (73 total games as of yesterday) at least one starting investigator did not make it to the end of the game for the final victory/defeat.

I've been playing EH since it came out, with the majority of the games are with four investigators. I've added expansions as they were released and overall the likelihood of losing a stating investigator hasn't changed all that much. It's likely the case that you are noticing it more when the Elder Things are the AO since their games tend to be longer, which increase the likelihood that something bad will happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles "Chick" Lewis
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: FezMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Roleplaying Since 1974
Sounds to me as though you are not using the very valuable 'REST' action, if you lost SO many investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Sounds to me as though you are not using the very valuable 'REST' action, if you lost SO many investigators.
Hypothermia hit all of my investigators during one of the Mythos phases, and Hunger hit two others. So half of my squad couldn't regain Sanity or Health during their Rest action. Each attempt to shake them off by rolling a 4,5, or 6 was a failure.

Poor Daisy was on the brink of insanity when she finally got rid of her Hunger condition, just to be Poisoned during her next Encounter phase. Her final blow hit during the next Mythos phase when all the investigators had to lose 1 Health and 1 Sanity.

Tony was was fighting off monsters until he stepped aside to another location to Rest. Again, his condition rolls were bad, and he couldn't shake his cold. He finally got blown away trying to un-detonate a bomb in San Francisco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 50% casualty rate is fairly typical. Winning with over 100% casualties isn't unheard of, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles "Chick" Lewis
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: FezMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Roleplaying Since 1974
"Hypothermia hit all of my investigators during one of the Mythos phases, and Hunger hit two others. So half of my squad couldn't regain Sanity or Health during their Rest action. Each attempt to shake them off by rolling a 4,5, or 6 was a failure."

Clearly I was mistaken about you and Resting, Jacob. Sounds as though you were playing optimally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In one game we nearly ran out of investigators and there were only three used at a time. On average we lose one or two in a game. It's very much like the role playing version of the game and I like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolf
msg tools
I just checked my stats. Out of the last 15 games (all played with 4 Investigators) in only 4 games did no Investigator get defeated (although 1 of those 4 games was still lost in the end).

The most Investigators to be defeated while stilling winning the game was 4. This was against Yig which allows you to bring in new investigators even during the final mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Losing the game is not valuable.

You win EH by efficiently using your Actions, not by keeping your investigators un-defeated. If your party is closing gates, the Doom track is not a threat, so there's little penalty for a starting a new investigator. Rest actions will cost a player several *turns* while a new investigator will not only save time, but bring in new items. EDIT: OTOH, If your nearly-defeated investigator has 3 or higher Influence and is near Tokyo, they can sit on Tokyo to defeat monsters, spend their turns acquiring assets (including taking on debt!), with another action to Rest.

IMO, Your starting items are as important as your investigator's abilities. Not only do you not have to spend actions trying to acquire them, but you usually have an item that you can immediately use.

Plus the defeated investigator encounters are... interesting. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
chicklewis wrote:
Losing the game is not valuable.

You win EH by efficiently using your Actions, not by keeping your investigators un-defeated. If your party is closing gates, the Doom track is not a threat, so there's little penalty for a starting a new investigator.
Make that "efficiently using your actions and encounters." If you're spending all your time closing gates, you're usually not advancing the active mystery all that fast. Doubly so if, every so often, you're stopping to visit your poor crippled former comrade.

Quote:
Rest actions will cost a player several *turns*
You don't stop to sleep, you rest while doing other stuff. There's a gate one space away? Rest, then move to it. Gate three spaces away? Ignore it for now, it's green and only goes off once per four turns. Rest, move to the space with a clue so you have something to use for the mystery that's just as pressing as the gate.

Quote:
while a new investigator will not only save time, but bring in new items.

The .45 automatic might be nice, but I already got a holy spear. And I also have a +1 strength and +1 will, that can't be picked up by my replacement.

Quote:
IMO, Your starting items are as important as your investigator's abilities. Not only do you not have to spend actions trying to acquire them, but you usually have an item that you can immediately use.
The average new character's assets represent one decent acquire assets action. Not worth losing skill improvements, and an encounter phase (in addition to either tying you to your starting space for a turn, or forcing you to move a space or three to get to the defeated investigator.)

No, you don't want to sit in one space and do nothing while healing. On the other hand, you don't want to lose a buffed-out character, if practically possible to keep him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a spreadsheet linked somewhere on here of MANY recorded plays. Obviously it's affected by the number of players and difficulty (also the fact that people recording their plays are probably slightly more likely to have played the game more often), but I think the average was a little under 2 characters lost per game.

My last play was 3 player against Shub (I think) with FL expansion. Ended up nearly all hard Mythos cards and we lost due one turn before killing him after he awakened. 3 characters were lost (in the end, in vein).

1 hospitalised
1 insane
1 devoured

It was the other guys first game though and they loved it, even the guy who often hates dice due to his 'bad luck'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls