Subject: I didn't want this game until I wanted the game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't back the Kickstarter for SDD. I guess I just didn't understand why I needed/wanted it when I had SMG. It just didn't seem to be something that I needed to buy.

That changed when I actually played the game. In June, at NJCON, I played the game on Friday with Augie T. and Chris G. I really enjoyed it.

First of all the smaller map size/larger scale is nice. With SMG if I want to set up at home it is remove everything from the dining room table, possibly expand the table to make it larger, and then hope the map fits. With SDD I don't have that issue (unless doing something really big).

Secondly, the game scale offers a lot of options. I played again at Fall In with Augie and he had the mortars. They worked quite well at this scale. I know there has been debate about mortars in SMG not being that useful but in SDD, with a large enough map, they work quite well.

Thirdly, while I love SMG, this game is easier to transport and set up because of the smaller tiles and cardboard figures. I don't want to have the miniatures getting damaged so I try to be careful with them. The cardboard figures, should travel a bit easier.

I bought the game on Friday at Fall In and went back and picked up a few more items for it on Saturday. I am really looking forward to playing it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game for the reasons you posted Michael. Easier to transport for now until I finish my foot locker for SMG. The idea that you do not need a huge table (for the most part) to play is a real plus sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree Michael. I can't wait to see how SHOW is handled/played in both versions.

-Jeff M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see what happens with vehicles.

The idea is that it isn't just about the vehicle but about the crew.

Sort of reminds me a little bit like the Two Hour Wargame Rules, Nuts! or Hell Hath No Fury, where individual crew matter. I like that since it maintains the Sergeants individuality idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I remember Jeff saying, while the crew are all unique, the vehicle is also unique. So some might be more prone to engine problems, others may have better sights and thus is a better shot with its main gun.
Point being that 2 exact same tanks will not be exactly the same.

What I thought was interesting was that the Greyhound is an actual figure and not a standee.

I am also interested in learning how SHOW will be packaged and sold.

Any insights? If you can't say (or feel uncomfortable), I understand.

Thanks for the heads up BTW.

-Jeff M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I truly don't know about how it will be packaged. I know that there was discussion of that here, especially in regards to SMG and the armor being cost prohibitive. I was more impressed with the way things are still card driven and didn't think about packaging.

The miniatures are 10mm scale for SDD and 20mm for SMG.

Now I just need to buy and paint 10mm figures to go along with the vehicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, vehicles and crew will be packages separately. This is in a big part because there are different kinds of crew - for example, Armor Crew and Cavalry Crew, both can man a tank, but have different training. So, the player decides what crews he wants for his vehicles.

The vehicles for SMG will have turning templates and other such things, since those sorts of things matter for that game. I believe that what you need for a vehicle (templates, etc) will be packaged for that vehicle (except the crew).

The vehicles are being done in waves, and the first wave is currently in production. I don't know everything that is in the first wave, I'm pretty sure Shermans, Jag's, and M8's are in that though. Jeeps and Tiger's are not. I know that there was a delay due to art, but I believe LBG has gotten through that.

Please bear in mind, I am not an LBG employee - so nothing that I spew is official, and hopefully does not result in too much of a mess, and in fact, could be blatantly wrong. I know there is a bunch of really awesome stuff in the pipeline that has not been announced and to be honest, while it will hit in a trickle for a bit, each new release is just going to bring that much more awesomeness to the game. What we have seen published folks, is only the tip of the iceberg, in fact, we really only have part of the game, so much more is still out there waiting in the wings that will make the game a complete experience - we only have the most basic building blocks right now. The pieces that pull it together are coming, and SHOW is where it really starts pulling together...vehicles, guns, HMG's, bazookas....oh yeah!

George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George,
I am not sure whether I am happy or not to hear what's in the "pipeline". As each new piece has been added (3D terrain, Tactic modules) the potential for the Sergeants system keeps growing.

Yeah, I am hyped to see SHOW for both SDD & SMG, but also the Urban modules that have been talked about.

I would love to see monthly releases for the system over the course of 2016. As well a an opponent finder.

I really love the Sergeants system and can't wait to get my hands on "what's next", but what I would really like to see is more support in developing the community. Although the system has been on the market for a few years now, it is still a fairly unknown game.

I cannot wait to see what 2016 brings us.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banor58 wrote:
I cannot wait to see what 2016 brings us.....
I hate to feed trolls, but I can hardly wait to see what 2015 will bring us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Palestine
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a whole host of things in the works for 2016, Martin. I'll try to pull together a list of what is coming, and what I've asked for that may or may not hit production this coming year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skippykaos wrote:
There is a whole host of things in the works for 2016, Martin. I'll try to pull together a list of what is coming, and what I've asked for that may or may not hit production this coming year.
Jeffrey (and anyone else) I appreciate the effort but have learned not to expect anything "on time". I am not trying to be critical but have learned from experience that promises and schedules mean pretty much nothing. I love the game system and will continue to support it, but I have learned how to live without getting stuff on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin,
You're not being critical, just realistic. If I were to go back and pull out some past Christmas mailings, there would be a couple of things that we are still waiting on.

We're just good soldiers, we've heard the scuttlebut and wait to see what actually comes to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
skippykaos wrote:
Jeffrey (and anyone else) I appreciate the effort but have learned not to expect anything "on time". I am not trying to be critical but have learned from experience that promises and schedules mean pretty much nothing. I love the game system and will continue to support it, but I have learned how to live without getting stuff on time.

Martin is right. I quit talking about what is in the pipeline because the ability to keep all the parts on schedule has been more than a little ellusive. Martin is a good customer and he is simply right. My silence is because of the blow back issues from people that are not even customer's that masquerade as if they own the product. I can't fight that damage when I can't meet my own timetables.

I won't publish a road map for Sergeants since it is fodder for attacks. The environment here on BGG is filled with fans and unfortunately agents provocateur that exploit any misstep. If you see me at convention ask me and I will share my thoughts.

There is no way to prove that a person posting here owns the game. And there is no way to determine if the person has other motives beyond playing the game. I will work to inform you all as to what is directly imminent for release and clarify any answer I give to any reasonable questions. And I will take my lumps from people that own and play the game.

One idea would be helpful. Let's separate the "Game" from the "Designer" and the "Company." Because of the damaged done in the past by black hat operators I had to lay off a woman that needed the job and wanted the work. The posts placed here on BGG need to be responsible and honest. Real people are hurt when falsehoods and black heart marketing are given credence and exaggerated.

I have no problem at all with the old grumblers - grumbling. That is a right. And call me on my issues - I am not a great writer of rules. I ask for help, often. But please remember that actual people need the jobs this little company provides. Those jobs are hard to find. They bring you an entertainment and pastime. Let's keep the entertainment here on BGG confined to the play of the game, and not the public excoriation of people.

I have a lot of work to do so I will be scarce for a while yet.

Thank you for playing and owning Sergeants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things at I like about LBG is that they did create a "cottage industry" with the mini painting. It speaks to how little things can make a big difference for people. In as much as I may be impatient, I understand the challenges of a small operation. That being said LBG & SMG/DDS are great games worth supporting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls