United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
Anyone aware of a design for deck of money cards to replace paper money? Preferably an Artscow, DriveThruCards or similar print-on-demand design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Look!Microbadge: We're Not WorthyMicrobadge: Basement CatMicrobadge: We're Not WorthyMicrobadge: Look!
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/catzeyes-money-...

whistle

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Heroscape fanMicrobadge: Superman fanMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: This is how I roll...Microbadge: Bacon lover
There's a few for other games. This is for Merchants of Venus print and play.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40596/item/893184#ite...

If you scour the main list you will likely find other money/card options but it's a big list of links.

Also found this which has poker chip cards.

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/pennywise-fd1oy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
Why everyone wouldn't use poker chips is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
whistle Glancing at the title I thought it said "Print on demand money back"... I was thinking what a silly to ask for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
curtc wrote:
I want an alternative to poker chips that will be much more portable.

I liked that options posted, especially that posted by schattentanz, though i will likely modify the card mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
How portable? About the only scenario I could imagine using cards instead of chips is taking them on a backpacking trip. Mini poker chips, in particular, are quite compact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
curtc wrote:
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
How portable? About the only scenario I could imagine using cards instead of chips is taking them on a backpacking trip. Mini poker chips, in particular, are quite compact.
I have a small case that holds a number of ultra small games and multi-use cards. I have room in that case for about 160 cards. No reasonable number of mini poker chips would fit in that 2.25w x 3.25l x 2.5d inch space. Backpacking is not the goal, but i want something I can leave in the case, as that case will fit in a slot in my car door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
Microbadge: Live long and prosperMicrobadge: Cat loverMicrobadge: GrandCon attendeeMicrobadge: Reduce, Reuse, RecycleMicrobadge: I like learning games more than winning them!
The design may limit its uses, but Daniel Solis created a deck of "Bird Bucks" which is available through DriveThruCards: http://www.drivethrucards.com/product/128925/Bird-Bucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
...i want something I can leave in the case, as that case will fit in a slot in my car door.
Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
curtc wrote:
If money is hidden a deck of money cards would be a lot easier to hide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
RHelms wrote:
I can't think of any game that I wouldn't prefer to play with open money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Container fanMicrobadge: Train GamerMicrobadge: Splotter fanMicrobadge: Imperial fanMicrobadge: Chicago Express fan
RHelms wrote:
curtc wrote:
Yet another good reason for poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It seems I have a chorus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Container fanMicrobadge: Train GamerMicrobadge: Splotter fanMicrobadge: Imperial fanMicrobadge: Chicago Express fan
Container is maybe the one exception. The money cards make the blind bidding easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't find that hard with poker chips. One hand has the bid and the other hand has a handful of other chips from your supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
curtc wrote:
RHelms wrote:
Power Grid and St. Petersburg. Some of the tension is trying to figure out how much your opponents can afford to spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Money is perfectly trackable in both games. There is no need for any tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: Icehouse fanMicrobadge: I speak JapaneseMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: 18xx fan
clearclaw wrote:
Money is perfectly trackable in both games. There is no need for any tension.
Well, sometimes tension in games is desirable. That said, I also prefer to play with open information whenever possible. I've even tried to add completely open information to games that weren't quite working for me (e.g. T&E) with varying success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: Icehouse fanMicrobadge: I speak JapaneseMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: 18xx fan
FreedomGunfire wrote:
The design may limit its uses, but Daniel Solis created a deck of "Bird Bucks" which is available through DriveThruCards: http://www.drivethrucards.com/product/128925/Bird-Bucks
I really enjoy that set and use it for a couple of games, but it's somewhat limited in its generality. I believe it's composed of values 0-9, five of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
RHelms wrote:
curtc wrote:
Power Grid and St. Petersburg. Some of the tension is trying to figure out how much your opponents can afford to spent.
fogus wrote:
Well, sometimes tension in games is desirable.
Maybe there are different types of tension, at least as different people here use the term. I don't consider trying to remember how much money people have as tension, certainly not the 'good' kind. That's tedium. If someone demanded to play with hidden money, I'd just use a notepad to track it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: Roger Zelazny fanMicrobadge: Born in 1963Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Mike Brown made free icons for my game!
clearclaw wrote:
It seems I have a chorus.
JC - you always have a chorus; its just that usually we are nodding in agreement rather than singing out loud whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls