8 Posts

Burgle Bros.» Forums » General

Subject: Analog Floor Generation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After thoroughly enjoying this game over the week I was looking at the online room generator (http://gabob.com/burgle/) and trying to figure out a way to generate floor layouts offline.

One option would be to copy 36 floors from the room generator, assign each one a d6d6 number (1,1 1,2 1,3 ... 6,4 6,5 6,6) and roll for each floor. An easy expansion would be to generate 36 unique rooms for each floor and put together a flip book. To take this to the furthest limit you could generate 36 unique rooms for each floor but add a d3 to the selection roll so each floor could be one of 108 possibilities (1,1,1...3,6,6).

Another option would involve the addition of d12s. Looking at the floor layout there are 24 possible positions for walls, 12 vertical and 12 horizontal.

A1 |1| B1 |2| C1 |3| D1
-1-+ +-2-+ +-3-+ +-4-
A2 |4| B2 |5| C2 |6| D2
-5-+ +-6-+ +-7-+ +-8-
A3 |7| B3 |8| C3 |9| D3
-9-+ +-0-+ +-1-+ +-2-
A4 |0| B4 |1| C4 |2| D4

To generate a single floor roll d6d12 until you can legally place 8 walls. An odd result on the d6 indicates a vertical wall, an even result horizontal. Reroll if the wall would isolate any tile on the floor. To reduce rerolls you can instead try to place an invalid vertical wall in the same numbered horizontal slot and vice versa. For multiple floors just add another d12 to each roll with each die dedicated to a different floor. So a roll of 4,6,3,12 would indicate a horizontal wall on each floor in different positions and any invalid rolls would be turned into potential vertical walls. To get truly random, add a d6 to each d12 for independent rolls. If you're going to do this though, have each player handle a floor.

This could idea could be extended to generate 5x5 floors for the Fort Knox version, but I haven't played that one yet.

Personally I'm going to try the d6d12d12d12 method next time I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over the summer, we played the print and play a lot (can't wait for my Kickstarter reward and tower to arrive!), and had a similar wish for an option for analog floor generation. I would use the app during idle times (waiting in line, etc.) and screenshot the most interesting floor generations I came across.

I ultimately made cards that matched the style of the rooms in the print and play, creating 48 floor plans using the screenshots as reference, which I labeled in groups of three's as Floor 1, 2 and 3 of a building, totaling 16 complete buildings to heist. When printing, I double-sided the floors to create 24 total square cards.

Objectively, I sorted the app generations I liked so that Floor 1's would be an easier difficulty (less dead ends, more circular layout to enable running away from the guard), Floor 2's would be medium, and Floor 3's would be harder (long dead ends that a guard can trap you in, easier for the guard to traverse the entire grid, where a majority of the heat map is yellow or orange).

Each game, I shuffle the floor generation deck, and distribute one card each to the other three players and let them choose which side to use. They would then set up the corresponding walls for that floor (which was an unplanned bonus of analog floors-- not having to crowd around a phone screen or not having just one person responsible for setting up all three floors). It stream-lined setup and made each player more involved with the heist, as they had a say on the building we were breaking into.

This floor generation has been very successful for us. Right from the start there is a "campaign" of sorts with the 16 buildings to heist, but additionally a lot of the fun is in the opportunity to create challenges by mixing and matching the floors, say all Floor 3's for a harder challenge, or all Floor 1's for an easier game.

Also, when the idea of Loot cards had been announced during the Kickstarter, but no examples had been given, I made these to test during our games. We ended up discarding all the ones that provided any type of help, as we felt the Loot should hinder/make the escape more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea I've had but not yet tested is to simply divvy up the walls amongst the players. For example in a 4 player game, give each player three walls to place (per floor).
You can either take simple turns deciding where to put the wall before placing it, or have everyone decide at the same time, before then placing them more-or-less at once (Invalid walls are repositioned of course).
As long as nobody is trying too hard to make an especially easy or hard layout out should be good enough for non-tournament play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeus222 wrote:
This floor generation has been very successful for us. Right from the start there is a "campaign" of sorts with the 16 buildings to heist, but additionally a lot of the fun is in the opportunity to create challenges by mixing and matching the floors...
These random floorplan generation cards are excellant! I would strongly suggest that you post them in the files section of this game page, so it's easier for more people to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For greater variety, there could be a deck of cards, each card showing the layout of half, or even a quarter, of a floor. Players would draw enough cards at random to create a whole floor plan, once for each floor. Position and rotation would be at the discretion of the players.

I don't know the math, but if you assume 2 walls per quarter (four floor tiles laid out 2x2), there's a finite number of ways they can be arranged and four such cards would result in 8 walls per floor.

This would be a very quick way to randomize floor plans as long as the floor is 4x4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made a deck of 13 different floor plans (with no labels so they can rotate). My deck includes the 5 layouts from the rule book, the rest are from zeus222's post. They all fit nicely into the box. I don't feel the need to play every possible floor plan, I just like a little more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I usually hand the walls to the newbie and tell them to place 8 per floor where we can still walk to each room. That's enough randomization for me. Sometimes it's easier, sometimes it's harder. It's a good mix-up for co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
toober wrote:
I usually hand the walls to the newbie and tell them to place 8 per floor where we can still walk to each room. That's enough randomization for me. Sometimes it's easier, sometimes it's harder. It's a good mix-up for co-op.
I have got to try this!

On a side note .... a little pet peeve

zeus222 wrote:
... had a similar wish for an option for analog floor generation
How is drawing cards or rolling dice analog?

The thing about "analog" is it means continuous (not discrete). I'm fairly sure that drawing cards and rolling dice is discrete (not continuous). Okay, I know I'm giving you a hard time. It just bugs me. Forgive me. You just meant "without using an electronic device" or something along those lines. I would have said "manual." Probably what is happening is "analog" is gaining a new meaning, that of "non-digital." You have used the new meaning and my personal lexicon is just out of date. Is that what is happening? Grrr, I hate language change. Okay rant over.

wiktionary wrote:
analog: (of a device or system) in which the value of a data item (such as time) is represented by a continuous(ly) variable physical quantity that can be measured (such as the shadow of a sundial)
I too would like a way to generate
random wall placements
without resorting to using my phone or other computing device
preferably using just the components that come in the box (such as the 9 dice)
or barring that, using added components that I can fit in the box (good luck it's already a tight squeeze).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls