Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calling BGG International, I need your help!

What a great game I am having such fun with this but after 20+ games, solo with three random characters and first level schemes and I still haven’t won!!! It’s so difficult, how am doing so badly?

I go for FAB cards early and make the 1st scheme the priority whilst tackling the urgent and or easily accomplished disasters. I have the rules down, and can’t see that I’m missing anything but I haven’t yet managed to complete the 2nd scheme!

Any tips, pointers or advice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it "The Hood Advances" mechanism that is doing you in?
Do you have John on duty in Thunderbird 5? His special ability has saved us on many occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefoxnumber6 wrote:

What a great game I am having such fun with this but after 20+ games, solo with three random characters and first level schemes and I still haven’t won!!! It’s so difficult, how am doing so badly?

I go for FAB cards early and make the 1st scheme the priority whilst tackling the urgent and or easily accomplished disasters. I have the rules down, and can’t see that I’m missing anything but I haven’t yet managed to complete the 2nd scheme!

Perhaps you could share your general approach with us and we might then have more useful data to work with. Best I can do with the available data is "you are missing a trick somewhere" Anything else would be guessing and risk "randomising" your approach for you.

That being said... the single thing that made most difference to me was when we realised that you have to resolve the first Scheme as a matter of priority, nay, urgency. Once you've done that, you've got some time to prepare for the second and third Schemes by building Pod Vehicles. As with many games of this type, efficiency is key - so only doing things that must be done to progress the game is important. Of course, spotting those things and anticipating them - as well as modifying your tactics as new Disasters turn up - is the skill. But I find that building a rolling 2-3 player turn tactic works best for us.

At heart, it's a very simple game: get the resources that you need to the locations that they need to be in (there's really very little else there - and I don't mean it as a criticism). Execution of that simple task is what creates the challenge and the interest.

All very generalised and vague I'm afraid, but the best I can do until I understand the manner in which you lose. (E.g. is it Disasters that kill you, or the Hood's Schemes - I'm assuming that you never exhaust the Disaster Deck? If it's the Hood's Schemes, do you usually lose on the first, second or third?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefoxnumber6 wrote:

Are you familiar with playing cooperative games? Are you using your characters' special powers? Defeating the schemes is indeed where your focus should be. I attempt a disaster when I need little to no luck from the dice.

(I have two plays under my belt and both were easy wins. I did not go for FAB cards at all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
Do you have John on duty in Thunderbird 5? His special ability has saved us on many occasions.
]

You mean someone playing as him right? He can't ignore Hood rolls as an NPC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
rmair62 wrote:
]

You mean someone playing as him right? He can't ignore Hood rolls as an NPC.

Yes, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had no love from this game either. In the six games I've played I have lost 5 times on the disaster track and once with the Hood reaching the unresolved third scheme.

BTW: I really like the Major Matt Mason avatar. I don't think I have ever seen anyone else reference him outside of me looking at what is available on Ebay. (Darn those wire armatures and the child safety brigades.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:
I've had no love from this game either. In the six games I've played I have lost 5 times on the disaster track and once with the Hood reaching the unresolved third scheme.
Losing on the Disaster Track can happen - in any co-op game like this, sometimes things just run away from you from the get-go. However, 5 out of 6 sounds as though you aren't spending enough time on planning at the beginning of each turn. It's really important to choose the Disasters in a way that maximises your use of resources (essentially - movement) so you can resolve the most Disasters in the fewest turns. Absolutely do not resolve Disasters in the order that they come out and do not be afraid to review your short-term goals if something changes as a result of a Disaster card draw. It's simply a game of logistics (though logistics is difficult - even Hard: Travelling Salesman Problem anyone?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks for all the suggestions. It seems to be the disaster track 80% of the time that catches me out, i don't have a lot of luck with the dice! I usually plan on taking out scheme 1 asap but as i do this the disaster track is up to 7 and i fall back to tackle those only to roll badly or draw an event card (because of rolling the Hood) that hurts movement. Pandemic was a walk in the park compared to this.
I'll try again later and not pick up so many FAB cards see if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:

BTW: I really like the Major Matt Mason avatar. I don't think I have ever seen anyone else reference him outside of me looking at what is available on Ebay. (Darn those wire armatures and the child safety brigades.)

Yes the Major was a favorite toy of mine as a child, my Grandmother gave me the set with the scooter and jet pack one Christmas, happy care free days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefoxnumber6 wrote:
Well thanks for all the suggestions. It seems to be the disaster track 80% of the time that catches me out, i don't have a lot of luck with the dice! I usually plan on taking out scheme 1 asap but as i do this the disaster track is up to 7 and i fall back to tackle those only to roll badly or draw an event card (because of rolling the Hood) that hurts movement. Pandemic was a walk in the park compared to this.

I Only get the fab cards from spare blue tokens.

Sounds like you may not be getting bonuses in place ready for disasters if you constantly failing them, try to get your target dice roll to 4 or less sometimes 5, more than that and you will struggle.

Where possible get players who have a character bonus to focus on those type of disasters, don't be afraid to use 1 player at times to set things up for the next so the disasters can be done more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefoxnumber6 wrote:
Well thanks for all the suggestions. It seems to be the disaster track 80% of the time that catches me out, i don't have a lot of luck with the dice!
LOL, I vividly remember that my first ever roll of those dice in a real game situation. I rolled Double-Hood.
Quote:
I usually plan on taking out scheme 1 asap but as i do this the disaster track is up to 7 and i fall back to tackle those only to roll badly or draw an event card (because of rolling the Hood) that hurts movement. Pandemic was a walk in the park compared to this.
I only draw FAB cards if I believe that I have 'room' to do so and never before Scheme 1 is complete. Drawing a FAB is an action that you aren't spending on the current Disaster/Scheme so in that respect it's a wasted Action (granted, the FAB may be very useful later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Firefoxnumber6 wrote:
I usually plan on taking out scheme 1 asap but as i do this the disaster track is up to 7 and i fall back to tackle those only to roll badly or draw an event card (because of rolling the Hood) that hurts movement.

To me, it feels as though the technique in Pandemic is to race to cure diseases as quickly as possible while doing just enough to contain outbreaks in the meantime.

By contrast, in Thunderbirds it feels as though the technique is to handle disasters as quickly and economically as possible, grabbing the occasional resource needed to thwart a scheme when you can spare a moment.

You need to tackle an average of one disaster every single turn. You can't afford to go off and do something else for a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I disagree with the tactic of focusing on the first scheme.

During the start of the game I mostly focus on the disasters, since solving disasters will automaticaly give me the tokens to avoid the first scheme. (this gets more difficult at legend level where you start with a level 2 scheme) the scheme can then be done at an oportune time, usualy costing only 1 or 2 extra moves.

As a previous poster said, make sure you get the bonuses for a disaster in place, so you do not have to roll more then 4/5. Make sure you move the machines and characters efficiently. I have found that it is often usefull to keep 2 playing characters together so they can move eachother around (usualy in TB 2)

When played efficiently you should easily be able to solve almost 1 disaster per turn (with every now and then a turn in which you can solve 2 diasters) with the hood advances cards giving you some rest from new disasters, you can then keep the number of disasters to solve at 5 maximum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
I disagree with the tactic of focusing on the first scheme.

During the start of the game I mostly focus on the disasters, since solving disasters will automaticaly give me the tokens to avoid the first scheme. (this gets more difficult at legend level where you start with a level 2 scheme) the scheme can then be done at an oportune time, usualy costing only 1 or 2 extra moves.
Resolving Disasters won't automatically give you the tokens you need for Schemes. You have to manage which ones you collect (if they are available from the revealed Disasters and if they are available quickly enough). The more Disasters you resolve on a dice roll, the more the Hood advances, the closer you get to Scheme one getting out of control. I have some sympathy with your viewpoint, like any co-op with multiple timers, you have to manage them all - just not necessarily equally and at all times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you have to be aware the scheme and try to get the right tokens into the right hands as you resolve disasters, while making sure you do not let the disasters get out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
mccrispy wrote:
Resolving Disasters won't automatically give you the tokens you need for Schemes.

Indeed not, though a lot of Disasters give you a choice of token...

...which often presents an exquisitely agonising decision: do you take a +2 or re-roll token as insurance against unfavourable dice, or do you take the token you need for the approaching Scheme? There's clearly some careful balancing to do, and that's one of the areas I hope to get better at when I've played more than three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the good news is that i have just won my first game and that's thanks to all the tips and suggestions you great people provided, what a great place BGG is.

I went for the fist scheme without pulling FAB cards, that gave me plenty of time to pick away at the disasters. I kept John in TB5 most of the time to avoid the Hood on the dice, Scot and Alan went around the board (together for a lot of the time) working towards scheme 2 fighting the disasters. In the end a comfortable win.

Thanks again for all your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, its onwards and upwards now

F.A.B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Points for the Community!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.