Popular Tags: [View All]
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There are a few actors who allow you to take elements of 3 value when activated.

Does that include yellow elements or you can only get those with the jeweler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the jeweler can take yellow elements and the jeweler can only take yellow elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zolos wrote:
There are a few actors who allow you to take elements of 3 value when activated.

The only way to take yellow elements is with a jeweler.
Those other characters you mention allow you to take specific colours, e.g. a green costume element, or a blue set element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Zolos wrote:

The only way to take yellow elements is with a jeweler.
Those other characters you mention allow you to take specific colours, e.g. a green costume element, or a blue set element.
Actually there are actors who allow you to take elements without a specified colour and value 3 (Cleopatra & Othello).

It does not specify that only the jeweler can take the yellows. In the rulebook it says that each individual craftsman cannot take a yellow element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zolos wrote:
Actually there are actors who allow you to take elements without a specified colour and value 3 (Cleopatra & Othello).

It does not specify that only the jeweler can take the yellows. In the rulebook it says that each individual craftsman cannot take a yellow element.
Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps they ended up as extras in the games I played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had missed that also, and thought that those actors (Cleopatra and Othello) could only take non-yellow elements!

Still, it would be great to get an official word from the designer, just for closure. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Official word : Yellow elements are only taken by the Jeweler.

But you are right. It is not totally clear in the rules (only for set dresser and costume mistress, but it should apply to Cleopatra and Othello too). We'll clarify this on further reprints.

REgards,
Cyril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Karis wrote:
Official word : Yellow elements are only taken by the Jeweler.

But you are right. It is not totally clear in the rules (only for set dresser and costume mistress, but it should apply to Cleopatra and Othello too). We'll clarify this on further reprints.

REgards,
Cyril
Thank you very much for clarifying things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Love it when designers take the time to clarify things - thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think of them as Gold elements, not yellow.

At first the Jewler seemd a bit limiting because he can only grab 1 element per turn (and a probability to be reseting and unavailable the next turn). We read the rules and deteremined the Jewler's power is made up by the fact that you score a point for every Gold element on your board at the end of the game. If played just right the jewler can get you 6 points but you have to snag him the first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
You can also grab 2 jewelers for more points (we've seen 8 points) but as you said it is quite slow, no guaranteed win

REgards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a four player game over the weekend and to my suprise a Jewler came out the first draw before the first act. Me being the last place inititive I had the first pick, so of course I took the Jewler. This being a 4 player game there were more distribution of gold elements per act, so I overworked my Jewler (no rest for him) to pick a gold element every act. In a game where points are few to get, these 6 points helped me win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nolte
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is correct, I believe we've missed something.
Why is there a value of "3" on the gold set pieces?

The "3" on the gold costume pieces add to the value of the completed costume. But, the sets don't work that way that we're seeing. The points are spent to take them, and a different benefit is provided by each, but the gold "benefit" is being a wild color for symmetry. Is there a scoring aspect we're not catching?

Thanks very much for any clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkUpquark wrote:
If this is correct, I believe we've missed something.
Why is there a value of "3" on the gold set pieces?

The "3" on the gold costume pieces add to the value of the completed costume. But, the sets don't work that way that we're seeing. The points are spent to take them, and a different benefit is provided by each, but the gold "benefit" is being a wild color for symmetry. Is there a scoring aspect we're not catching?

Thanks very much for any clarification.
I know there is a Queen objective that will give you victory points based on the total value of your set. I don't know if there is another reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nolte
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that surely is the reason. We just played another game, and on the FIRST turn, a player drew objectives, and went, "Ohhhh ..." It was the prestige-for-total-set-points card. We'd not seen that come up in two games, but there it is.

Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Roos
United States
Guilderland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely misplayed this one for Othello and Cleo. I read back through the rules multiple times for it too but ultimately decided that the rules did not disallow them from taking yellows. But at least I said exactly that to the other players and we all agreed to play as if they could take them.

Glad there's an official ruling! Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls