Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I apologise if this question has already been asked somewhere. I looked but couldn't find a post on it quickly.

I would like to start up Pandemic Legacy with my wife, but she has never played Pandemic before. I own the original Pandemic as well (the old version of regular Pandemic) so I'm wondering if I should get her to play on that before we start the Legacy version?

However, I'd like to teach her the mechanisms of the game on the new board and with the new cards etc. if possible. Is that something I can do before we start doing whatever the Legacy style things are?

Has anyone done this? Can you spare a moment to describe if you think that was the best way to proceed? Or should I just jump in the deep end and go full Legacy mode with her for her first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can. In fact, the rules recommend to do this for people not familiar with Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My group had played Pandemic before, but had not played recently. We played three non-Legacy games as a warm up.

We were amazed at how much our attitudes changed and how much the tension ramped up when we started our first Legacy game. We just finished February, and cannot wait to jump in again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so they do. That's handy!

So has anyone done this? Do people think it's a good idea? If you had the choice would you use the old Pandemic to teach a standard game first or use the Legacy board and pieces for a learning game instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunter Hawk wrote:
My group had played Pandemic before, but had not played recently. We played three non-Legacy games as a warm up.

We were amazed at how much our attitudes changed and how much the tension ramped up when we started our first Legacy game. We just finished February, and cannot wait to jump in again.

Cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're planning on teaching Pandemic so that you can play Pandemic Legacy, definitely use Pandemic Legacy. There are some minor rules differences (e.g. when you choose roles), so using the Pandemic Legacy rules will avoid needing to re-learn those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devil Dan
msg tools
If you already have a copy of Pandemic handy then by all means use it to teach the game but I wouldn't recomend getting a copy just to do so.

Chances are you'll peek your players' curiosity when you break out the Legacy board for the first time. I had players curse out loud as they first saw it. There was a lot of "does that mean what I think it means" and "this isn't going to end well" comments.

But with that said I would use the warm up rules from Legacy's rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was just going to either:

a) Use my original Pandemic.
or
b) Use the Pandemic Legacy board and bits to play by the rules I already know from original Pandemic.

Will b) work out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laerfan wrote:
Yeah, I was just going to either:

a) Use my original Pandemic.
or
b) Use the Pandemic Legacy board and bits to play by the rules I already know from original Pandemic.

Will b) work out?

You'd better use:
c)The Pandemic Legacy board and bits with the basic Pandemic Legacy rules.

The Pandemic Legacy rulebook explains to you how to play basic Pandemic (you just have to skip some sections of the rules), so this will be the perfect introduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Wijngaarden
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I play pandemic legacy with my wife although she never played pandemic before. We see no need in doing normal pandemic first, the game is not so difficult and the pandemic version is so much more 'narrative' that we do not see any reason in going through pandamic before the legacy. So maybe you do ruin your first game, and that will impact later games. Isn't that the whole idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
Yes, you can. In fact, the rules recommend to do this for people not familiar with Pandemic.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, nice to see this thread. I was going to use my vanilla Pandemic set to teach the noobs before PL but now I see I can just use that instead.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I cracked open my copy of Pandemic Legacy and I'm pretty sure that after looking at it, I'll use it to play a "vanilla" game of Pandemic with the new board and stuff (seems to be very few changes at the start anyway) and then from there jump in to January Game 1 (which I assume is very like vanilla Pandemic to start with.)

Thanks for all the insightful responses guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For people that have tried playing the "warm-up" version, how do you consider the difficulty? I've been playing solo with 3 characters, no funding, 5 epidemics, cure all four diseases to win.

Now, I'm not a Pandemic veteran, but it feels super difficult to me. I'm 0/5 so far. I'm not complaining. I love the difficulty. I just want to make sure I'm not getting a rule wrong that is making it more difficult.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Pandemic you should use all the funding cards. Actually 2 per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
mkrajew wrote:
Base Pandemic you should use all the funding cards. Actually 2 per player.

Not true.

"Real" base Pandemic only has five special event cards. Correspondingly, when playing Pandemic Legacy in non-legacy mode, you use a funding level of five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromus wrote:
For people that have tried playing the "warm-up" version, how do you consider the difficulty? I've been playing solo with 3 characters, no funding, 5 epidemics, cure all four diseases to win.

Now, I'm not a Pandemic veteran, but it feels super difficult to me. I'm 0/5 so far. I'm not complaining. I love the difficulty. I just want to make sure I'm not getting a rule wrong that is making it more difficult.

Thanks!

Are you playing correctly? For the first few games of regular Pandemic I thought you needed a research station in the region of the colour you wanted to cure. That made it seem really hard! When I found out you can cure all diseases at any station it really helped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.