Innovation Deluxe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Societies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SOCIETIES wrote:
I DEMAND you transfer a card with a [bulb] higher than my top card of the same color from your board to my board! If you do, draw a 5!
I know that it's been asked before, but I didn't see an answer: what does this mean?

(And a better question: isn't there some better way to phrase this?)

I assume that the card to be transferred must be a top card. If that's right, it should be called a top card. Am I right that "higher" means "with value higher"?

How about this: "I DEMAND that you transfer from your board to my board a top card with a [bulb] whose value is higher than my top card of the same color."

Or, if you don't like "whose" for cards: "I DEMAND that you transfer from your board to my board a top card with a [bulb] and with value higher than my top card of the same color."

I assume that the opponent can always choose to transfer a top card with a bulb whose color I don't have at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it should be changed to mentioning top cards.

I don't think 'value' needs to be mentioned, though. It is generally not used on cards when using higher/lower. Examples (from the original wording) include Archery (1), Domestication (1) and Canal Building (2). 'Value' is used only to refer to a specific value rather than a relationship between values.

As for your assumption, I believe you're correct. Your top card of an empty stack is considered to be a zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I don't think 'value' needs to be mentioned, though. It is generally not used on cards when using higher/lower. Examples (from the original wording) include Archery (1), Domestication (1) and Canal Building (2). 'Value' is used only to refer to a specific value rather than a relationship between values.
I suppose that this is correct.

I think that those cards use only the term "highest," and it is used to identify one (or more) cards from a single set (i.e., your scored cards).

I think that the cards that currently use the term "higher" actually do so only in conjunction with the term "value" (e.g., Agriculture).

I am not sure if there currently are cards that use the term "higher" to compare cards in two different sets (as is the case here - my top cards versus yours), and maybe that's what seemed unusual to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
SOCIETIES wrote:
I DEMAND you transfer a card with a [bulb] higher than my top card of the same color from your board to my board! If you do, draw a 5!

I assume that the card to be transferred must be a top card. If that's right, it should be called a top card. Am I right that "higher" means "with value higher"?

Why does it have to be a top card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
Why does it have to be a top card?
Two reasons:

1) There are very no Karma effects that force you to look through a stack of piled cards to fish one out, but this one would. It would be time consuming and annoying to do this. Comparatively, there are many cards, especially ones with Prosperity (Crowns) as the featured icon, that transfer top cards from board to board.
2) The 1st/2nd edition version of the card used 'top' and it was almost certainly just a typo that it got missed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls