Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What is the best homebrew/bgg variant of a game that you've played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
That's made the game better or was just a better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a ton of experience with variants other than the ones I come up with myself, but do know that Battleball Advanced 2.0 variant by Mr.Bistro does a whole lot for Battleball to improve upon it.

I am hoping to improve upon his work; however, my variant can't really be called a variant in that it requires a whole bunch of extra components including another copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Alvarez
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
“The cinema substitutes for our gaze a world more in harmony with our desires.”
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I ever looked at the forums on BGG was for Puerto Rico. Discovering the "craftsman angst" variant for 2-player games not only improved Puerto Rico, it also opened my eyes to this entire website and community.

There may be better variants out there for different games but I will always think fondly of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Cosmic Encounter/Dune group was short one player for Dune, so the games owner pulled out his Dune variant (which was different from that found on the Warp). I wouldn't say it was better than either game, but it was really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: Origins attendeeMicrobadge: Cyclades fan
Not sure this counts, but I playing as BGG suggested, without the rule that keeps players from communicating, has made Witch of Salem go from an OK game to one that I cherish in my library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy Lennert's additional haunts for Betrayal spring to mind, particularly the version collated by UniversalHead.

Tristan Hall's variant layouts, Temelin's variant roles, and CoreyRIT's traitor variant for Forbidden Island.

Greg Stewart's Quests deck for Kingsburg. (Not yet uploaded...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've changed the card mechanics in Takenoko based on some threads. It's the only way I'll play it now. It's otherwise not a fun game in my opinion.

Often if I'm having trouble liking a game I'll start looking at the variant suggestions to see if I can salvage it before I trade it away.

Several of my game boxes have a small stack of stuff I've printed out from BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Galaxy Trucker without the timer. It makes building a lot more fair and stress free.

My friend has about half the expansions fo carcassone (13 out of 26 expansions). We usually play with the tiles as just basic tiles without the extra fiddly stuff the tiles add on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
I rarely get to play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) but this homegrown map is pretty cool.

Venton wrote:
This was dreamed up by a couple of guys at my FLGS. The map represents a sphere with M.Rex at the center and the homeworlds placed along the equator and at the north and south poles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dinger
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The craftsman angst variant of Puerto Rico that I learned from Ender's thread on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borko's 2 player variant for Settlers of Catan is worth looking at. It spares players the issue of playing 2 colors each and a too-large board. When I do 2p Catan, I only use Borko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey do you have a link on this or can you gm me? I don't get to play Settlers as often as I'd like.

Septyn wrote:
Borko's 2 player variant for Settlers of Catan is worth looking at. It spares players the issue of playing 2 colors each and a too-large board. When I do 2p Catan, I only use Borko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
Venton wrote:
I rarely get to play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) but this homegrown map is pretty cool.

Venton wrote:
This was dreamed up by a couple of guys at my FLGS. The map represents a sphere with M.Rex at the center and the homeworlds placed along the equator and at the north and south poles.

Do you have anymore specific details on how this is set up and compares to the original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
Hey do you have a link on this or can you gm me? I don't get to play Settlers as often as I'd like.

Septyn wrote:
Sure thing: My 2 player variant has been updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls