Subject: buying/selling off a track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love Hong KongMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer fanMicrobadge: Greed  fan
I like the mechanism of buying and selling items off a track, revealing the purchase and selling price underneath. It’s an elegant design seen in Crude: The Oil Game and, to a lesser extent, Power Grid. Are there other economic games with this mechanism that plays between 1-2 hours? (I’m not looking for stock market games in general, but rather for this particular mechanism.) Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Games, Great Food, & Great Drink!
Microbadge: BixCON Attendee
Suburbia
and
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
both fit that description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Umphrey's Mcgee fanMicrobadge: 2018 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: I completed the 2016 challenge to play 10 games 10 times each
Akrotiri

Doesn't fit your time requirement but, Brass: Lancashire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love Hong KongMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer fanMicrobadge: Greed  fan
Bixby wrote:
Suburbia
and
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
both fit that description.
Thank you for your response. I don't think Castles fit that description as goods (items) aren't placed and removed from a price track -- rooms are assigned by the master builder to one of several fixed price slots. (The prices themselves don't change according to the number of goods placed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
alexankh wrote:
Akrotiri

Doesn't fit your time requirement but, Brass: Lancashire
Akrotiri looks great. I wonder if there's a similar game that allows for more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: St Louis Boardgame Meetup participantMicrobadge: Thrift Store JunkieMicrobadge: Peppino is ready!Microbadge: ActuaryMicrobadge: Geekway to the West attendee
Wealth of Nations
The Princes of Machu Picchu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Umphrey's Mcgee fanMicrobadge: 2018 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: I completed the 2016 challenge to play 10 games 10 times each
Akrotiri was actually designed as a 5 player game, and if you are willing to proxy a few components, you can easily scale it up. If using proxies isn't your thing, you can pick up a second copy and paint the player pieces

There are several threads in the Akrotiri forums regarding how to do this. All you really need are proxy ships and proxy temples. photocopy the player boards (or share, that's what we do), and set up as normal. Maybe give the non-starting players an extra Lira (currency). The only tricky thing is to find a ship proxy that can carry 3 resource cubes. a bottle cap would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls