19 Posts

Thunder Alley» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using all movements points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A D
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When exiting the pits, does the activated car have to use all of the movement points of the pit exit speed (printed on the race card)?

For example, if I activate my car in the pits (#1), the race card has a pit exit speed of 3 and the sector I am exiting from has 3 open lanes.

Initial positions
---- ---- ----
#2 #5
---- ---- ----
#4 #6
---- ---- ----
#4 #7
==== ==== ====
(#1)
==== ==== ====

Does my car have to spend all 3 points and move to the wall (if I do not want to forward displace anyone?

Position after playing race card
---- ---- ----
#2 (#1) #5
---- ---- ----
#4 ^ #6
---- ---- ----
#4 ^ #7
==== ==== ====

==== ==== ====

In the case of Lead movement if my race card has 3 movement points. Do I have to spend it all?

For example, I am car #1, if I have to spend all 3 movement points, my car will be out of draft position

Initial positions
---- ---- ---- ----
#2 (#1)
---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

==== ==== ==== ====

==== ==== ==== ====

---- ---- ---- ----
#2 <- <-
---- ---- ---- ----
(#1)
---- ---- ---- ----

==== ==== ==== ====

==== ==== ==== ====

Thanks

Edited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use up movement points in an "unsuccessful" push - since it takes three movement points to displace forward, in both of those examples you could stop behind another car, fail to push them forward, and stop.

You do have to Use UP all your movement points, but an unsuccessful push is a good tool to dump movement points you don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi loverMicrobadge: Sushi lover
Yes you always have to use all your movement points. However, remember that for 1 or 2 movement points, you can "bump" the car in front of you to stay where you are and keep the car you bumped where it is (since you need 3 movement points to actually push them and yourself ahead 1 space).

So with that said, in your first pit example, you can effectively choose any of the three lanes you want, as you can "bump" and stay in position to use up the last 1 or 2 movement points depending on which lane you wanted to be in. And in your second example, you can use the two movement points to get behind the car, and one last point to "bump" the car, which keeps you right behind it.

The point of the rule that says you must use every single movement point, was to prevent players "gaming" the system and keep their cars from moving forward when the lanes were empty or even to keep from pushing cars forward when they had a lot of movement points available. But the rule was never intended to force you to change lanes, which is why you can waste your last point or two with a "bump" maneuver to stay where you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
You can use up movement points in an "unsuccessful" push - since it takes three movement points to displace forward, in both of those examples you could stop behind another car, fail to push them forward, and stop.

You do have to Use UP all your movement points, but an unsuccessful push is a good tool to dump movement points you don't want.
Are you saying that if you have two, you can say "I'm pushing which failed cause I always had two"?

If, so, I'm pretty sure you can't do that. You MUST use ALL your movement points if you can. So, if you have two you can push you MUST move sideways if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
seanp wrote:

Are you saying that if you have two, you can say "I'm pushing which failed cause I always had two"?

If, so, I'm pretty sure you can't do that. You MUST use ALL your movement points if you can. So, if you have two you can push you MUST move sideways if possible.
No you don't. You can "push" a car in front unsuccessfully if there is one.

See page 6: "During solo and lead movement,ma car is never required to take the path of the least resistance"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to go dig out my rulebook to find the exact wording - the draft rules in the files section here show the intent though:

"Cars use the Movement Points awarded by the card played, and may not spend more points than the card allows. Players may not choose to spend fewer points than awarded, unless movement forward from the current space Is not possible due to a lack of points. A player is not obligated to move laterally if MP still remain. Thus, a car using Solo or Lead Movement with 2 MP remaining with an open space to its left, and behind another car may end its turn without moving left. If the car had 3 MP remaining, it would be required to push the car in front of it ahead 1 space."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
seanp wrote:

No you don't. You can "push" a car in front unsuccessfully if there is one.
Hmm... interesting... I do not see that in the main rule text, but I do see it mentioned in an example. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt replies everyone.

So it sounds like the requirement to use all movement points does not mean that you must to move into a space if it is available.

Instead you can use all of your movement points in failed attempts to laterally or forward displace another car.

Just checked the rules again and I think I found the rule that supports this type of decision making.

Quote:
6.1 Restrictions
The activated car must spend all it's available MPs. During Solo and Lead Movement a car is never required to take the path of least resistance - it may spend all it's MPS on Forward and Lateral Displacement even if a clear lane is available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is. See page 6, restricions. The rule describes that you DONT't need to follow the path of the least resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:

Hmm... interesting... I do not see that in the main rule text, but I do see it mentioned in an example. shake
In the final rules, the movement rules on page 6 reference the example on page 14. On page 14 under "Bumping" it states:

A car with 1 or 2 MPs remaining is never required to move laterally
to use up all its MPs—it may spend its remaining MPs in an
unsuccessful Displacement.

The answer is in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
number33_ak wrote:
Thanks for the prompt replies everyone.

So it sounds like the requirement to use all movement points does not mean that you must to move into a space if it is available.

Instead you can use all of your movement points in failed attempts to laterally or forward displace another car.

Just checked the rules again and I think I found the rule that supports this type of decision making.

Quote:
6.1 Restrictions
The activated car must spend all it's available MPs. During Solo and Lead Movement a car is never required to take the path of least resistance - it may spend all it's MPS on Forward and Lateral Displacement even if a clear lane is available
Correct - and it says to reference the Bumping example on pg 14 - "A car with 1 or 2 MPs remaining is never required to move laterally to use up all its MPs - it may spend its remaining MPs in an unsuccessful Displacement."

edit: ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

In the final rules, the movement rules on page 6 reference the example on page 14. On page 14 under "Bumping" it states:

A car with 1 or 2 MPs remaining is never required to move laterally
to use up all its MPs—it may spend its remaining MPs in an
unsuccessful Displacement.

The answer is in the rule book.
You are correct. But that sentence in the "example" should be in the restrictions line of the rules proper... which is why I know I missed this point. I only look at examples if I think I don't fully understand what the rule is saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, see page 6, "restrictions". It's explained there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
Again, see page 6, "restrictions". It's explained there.
Ok, whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is described on page 6. The example is just what follows from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
The rule is described on page 6. The example is just what follows from it.
Question is answered - I think it's time for everyone to smile and walk away. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks again everyone for helping to clarify.

I've played a few solitaire games (with the 3 player setup) to prep for questions and edge cases that may come up when I intro it to my group.

Loving it so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
number33_ak wrote:

In the case of pursuit movement if my race card has 3 movement points. Do I have to spend it all?

For example, I am car #1, if I have to spend all 3 movement points, my car will be out of draft position

Initial positions
---- ---- ---- ----
#2 (#1)
---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----

==== ==== ==== ====

==== ==== ==== ====

---- ---- ---- ----
#2 <- <-
---- ---- ---- ----
(#1)
---- ---- ---- ----

==== ==== ==== ====

==== ==== ==== ====

Thanks
In the second example where you cite "pursuit movement", pursuit movement would push the #2 car forward. Lead movement would result in stopping behind the car or dropping down one lane, driver's choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for catching that. I actually meant Lead movement. I've corrected my original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls