Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: played first mission tonight - some questions (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Aftermath mission tonight and had a lot of fun.

Here's how we set up:
-2 players, Mak and Diala (both Legendary)
-I played Imperial side
-I didn't tell the players the round limit, but specifically told them not to get hung up on killing baddies, and to run for the objectives (I called it Imperial A$$-haul)
-I didn't tell them their specific objectives - just told them to silence the beacon
-I did tell them that if both heroes were wounded, I'd win

The players moved quickly and got past the door in the middle of the 3rd round, but ran past the first squad of stormtroopers to do so. Next round, between the first and second stormtrooper squads I was able to wound Diala. However they were able to wriggle past the second squad and destroy the last two terminals in the 5th round. It was fairly even for both sides up until the end.

Questions:
-upon reaching the first terminal, I told them that at one glance they could see it couldn't be unlocked or hacked, so they wouldn't waste an action trying. They understood, and decided to blow it up instead. I haven't seen a rule for what to tell them but it seemed logical. How much info have you told your players/what have you all done in this regard?

-before reaching the door, the players eliminated the probe droid and officer, and one stormtrooper. By the start of the 3rd round, I had 6 threat, and was able to bring that defeated trooper back, but couldn't do anything else with the remaining threat...or could I?

-after the first mission, at the start of the next mission, the threat dial resets to the next mission's current threat level, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
WizardHowl wrote:
-2 players, Mak and Diala (both Legendary)
-I played Imperial side
-I didn't tell the players the round limit
4 heroes are recommended for better balace. You should read the associated rules for all events, including mission briefing. Only if there is a choice, the choices not taken are not revealed. So, you had pretty much house-ruled the game to a RPG. Fortunately for you it went well instead of disintegrating.

See for example PBF Aftermath for what you should read for Aftermath.

Threat counter is set to zero in each mission setup. (A special setup rule can the increase it for optional deployment rule.) Note the difference between Threat (amount) and Threat Level (how much threat is increased in the increase threat step of the status phase).

What to do with the terminals is in the mission rules. The mission briefing tells that terminals have health and can be attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasi is, once again, correct.

Technically, You are not the GM, you are the Imperial Player. You will have a vested interest in winning the scenario and, in some cases, how quickly you win.

You need to tell the Heroes everything in the mission briefings.

Some mission briefings will not reveal all mission objectives right away.

Some mission objectives are staged so that they have to focus one 1 thing first and when the objective is complete, the event trigger reveals the Hero win condition.

As Pasi mentioned, if there is every en event that triggers that you are given a choice to do one thing or another, you only read the option you select. This way, if you ever play the mission again, the heroes might attempt to prepare for one action and inadvertently place them in the ideal scenario for the second.

Playing with 2 legendary heroes is more than okay but, as mentioned, 4 is recommended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noted, thanks. We were all playing the game for the first time, but one of the players and I were familiar with Descent 2.

I offered the players the choice to control 2 heroes each, but they preferred one hero each. I'm sure this was to keep things simple; multiple heroes mean multiple abilities and options to keep track of.

I suppose it did feel like an RPG, although I did tell them I was actively trying to defeat them as an opposing player, and not as a GM. I'll ask them if they prefer it this way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WizardHowl wrote:
Noted, thanks. We were all playing the game for the first time, but one of the players and I were familiar with Descent 2.

I offered the players the choice to control 2 heroes each, but they preferred one hero each. I'm sure this was to keep things simple; multiple heroes mean multiple abilities and options to keep track of.

I suppose it did feel like an RPG, although I did tell them I was actively trying to defeat them as an opposing player, and not as a GM. I'll ask them if they prefer it this way or the other.
Some missions will be borderline impossible for the rebels with that little information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
WizardHowl wrote:

I know that feeling too. When I started I just wanted my players to have a good time and tried playing it like a GM instead of a player (I still do to an extent) but as i did that I lost advancements that I needed in order to keep up.

I do often provide support of the best tactics to use like not to ignore their abilities and to focus on the objectives as opposed to clearing off the board of enemies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Removing imperial activations with a quick start push is usually a good strategy for rebels, then focusing on the objective. Attacking figures that already activated on the round should be considered low priority.

But I don't want to rob you the pleasure in exploring the strategies yourself. The first campaign will be a learning one... But maybe still take a look at What are some crazy or common rule-breaking mistakes your group made whilst learning the game?.

(To use strain to move to be able to attack twice is something you the rebels should remember, and also recovering strain from unused surges once per attack.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls