Subject: 6th Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Thies
United States
Otego
New York
flag msg tools
So my friends and I almost always end up as a group of six looking to play games. When one of them doesn't show up to my house we almost always play Roll For the Galaxy.

We picked up Ambition last week and decided to give it a try with 6 players.

I had actually received 2 copies of the base game for my Birthday so I unwrapped the extra copy and grabbed everything I needed for a sixth player (just duplicating one of the colors).

We bumped up the available Victory point counters by 12 points.

We had everything we needed except one thing.. a black die. We wrote down the faces of the black die and assigned them numbers and used a regular D6 as a substitute.

Everything seemed to play just as well as it would have with 5 players.

Would anyone have any other suggestions for playing 6 players? With only the one run through I'm wondering if we're missing something important that could be game breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite things about the design is how it's self-regulating with regard to player count. At the lower counts, fewer phases fire so more dice go back into the cup for free. At the higher counts, more phases fire but if they do, you have to buy back many more dice.

Obviously in a 6p game you're going to have that many more times that all five phases fire. Also, if more than a few players decide to have large build queues the tile bag will run low more often.

The real solution for the black die of course is to buy a second copy of Ambition!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
You could also simply print stick-on labels for your d6 from the image files posted on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Thies
United States
Otego
New York
flag msg tools
Actually I e-mailed Rio Grande about that, they responded today that they'd send me one for $4. Which I'll definitely be doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJJester wrote:
Actually I e-mailed Rio Grande about that, they responded today that they'd send me one for $4. Which I'll definitely be doing!
Rio Grande Games: the creme de la creme of customer support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
Quote:
One of my favorite things about the design is how it's self-regulating with regard to player count. At the lower counts, fewer phases fire so more dice go back into the cup for free. At the higher counts, more phases fire but if they do, you have to buy back many more dice.
What about using a 7-wonders adjacency mechanic? Your phases only fire if either of the adjacent players choose the role?

I haven't even played Ambition or Roll, so if this idea is stupid haha let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizi wrote:
Quote:
What about using a 7-wonders adjacency mechanic? Your phases only fire if either of the adjacent players choose the role?

I haven't even played Ambition or Roll, so if this idea is stupid haha let me know!
Sounds.. Ingenious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Fizi wrote:
Quote:

It's pretty clever, though it'd be a bit tricky to keep track of. Everyone would need to really be on the ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Fizi wrote:
Quote:

It's pretty clever, though it'd be a bit tricky to keep track of. Everyone would need to really be on the ball.
Sounds like a great idea.

You could use 3 tokens and place above the phases in your phase strip which would be active

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also don't have enough white dice for all options. You have 25, you need 24. But there are factions and worlds out there that can use up to 5 white dice. One of them needs two, so is an instant fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Thies
United States
Otego
New York
flag msg tools
No actually there are plenty of white dice, Ambition replaces 1 white die in the cup with a black die so each player only needs 4 white to start the game. A couple of cards give folks additional whites but not enough that its been a problem so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls