Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
I will have next week time to play DS the first time.
I would like to know how different are the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Geek Regular
Teskal wrote:
I was also interested in this since Crypts and Warlord do not have piles of bones and such. Game play differences during even the pledge manager period verged on vaporware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AEG "Smash Up" Contest participantMicrobadge: Wizards of the Coast Legend of Drizzt Contest participantMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Mage Company "12 Realms" Contest participant
Teskal wrote:

*Warlord of Galahir:

The ovelord'cards allow him to move some monsters and place new orclings on the board.
Also,when the overlord cards deck is empty,this not the end of the game,but from this instant,the overlord can place 2 new orcs on the starting tile,each turn.
you can see the cards here:
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2739541.jpg

*The infernal Crypts:

There is not so much exploration here,the quests are maps with huge tiles and very few doors (you are in a cavern after all).
The overlord cards allow him to reduce heroe's movement and place new lava counter on the board.
There is also huge tile with lava everywhere.
Lava is very important: after each move into a lava square,a hero suffer a 3 dice attack.
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2739559.jpg

*Tyrant of Halpi:

Overlord cards allow him to place new thralls (the only type of monsters in the expansions-you use undead model from the base game) on the board,and make some attack on the heroes.
the adventure 5,6 share a special rule: the heroes retain any wounds they suffered in the aventure 4,and 5.The same rule apply for the dragon,as the heroes will face him in some quests before the final one.
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2739574.jpg

(so i have a question about this,how do you play that with the campaign rules?Downtime between those 2 adventures seems a bit odd...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Geek Regular
This is how I would play it.

Special Rule: Continuous Missions.

This set of X missions are a linked group that does not provide downtime between them. Heros have to win all to qualify as winning for earning Gold and Glory but all rewards received are increased to the base value times the number of missions including bonus gold or glory earned at locations after the final mission if they successful completed the whole group. Heroes cannot have multiple experiences if they manage to gain enough glory to increase more than 1 level but the extra experience can be used during the next downtime in which they do not increase in level.

Heroes that fail at any one of the continuous missions have a downtime to recover but have to start back at the first of the continuous missions having earned no gold or glory. They are so busy recovering from their failure that they are unable to even visit locations or collect any payment from the patrons. (IE only do step 1 in downtime then go back)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Brown Ribbon (Lycanthropy Awareness)Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Great CthulhuMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
but this means, that the heroes will basically have to manage the missions 1-6 at level 0. which is not possible to complete. I'd much rather have them do downtime between two missions (think townportal) except where there is a clear time constraint (Tyrant of Halpi comes to mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AEG "Smash Up" Contest participantMicrobadge: Wizards of the Coast Legend of Drizzt Contest participantMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Mage Company "12 Realms" Contest participant
Loig wrote:
but this means, that the heroes will basically have to manage the missions 1-6 at level 0. which is not possible to complete. I'd much rather have them do downtime between two missions (think townportal) except where there is a clear time constraint (Tyrant of Halpi comes to mind).
no for Tyrant of Halpi.
the total level of the group needed to start the first adventure is 8,wich means basically each heroes must be at level 2.
The continuous quests rules are only for the quests 4,5,6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Brown Ribbon (Lycanthropy Awareness)Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Great CthulhuMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
well in any case, the missions (all of them) assume a change in Hero levels per mission (as you can see in the tables in the AC and expansions). This means, that the heroes MUST do downtime (or something similar) to be able to raise to these levels in between missions. Except for when it is thematically or dramatically important not to. as for missions 4,5,6 with the Tyrant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
Loig wrote:
well in any case, the missions (all of them) assume a change in Hero levels per mission (as you can see in the tables in the AC and expansions). This means, that the heroes MUST do downtime (or something similar) to be able to raise to these levels in between missions. Except for when it is thematically or dramatically important not to. as for missions 4,5,6 with the Tyrant
My rule listing was only for the special case where you wanted to break up what us really one scenario into multiples in some way where the characters do not get down into. (Also makes it worth more money/glory)

Other options:

Dangerous wounds: Do Downtime but skip step one.

Or

In A Rush: Characters receive their glory and only do step 5 (No locations, no new feats).

Remember that as you get higher in level you need more missions to get to the next one so it could be quite easy for 6th level characters (who need 6 more glory to get to 7) could do 3 missions without advancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
I second that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls