Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after playing several rounds of this we decided to change it up a bit and it ended up making the game far more intense and fun for us.

Instead of simply having to stop drawing when you pull a devil, we play so that you are totally out of the round meaning your bid is forfeit. This REALLY forces people to think about how much they bid and how many chips they will try to draw. Now if someone has pulled your bid amount you have to think hard about whether you draw like a mad man to try and get the bonus points as you could end up with nothing by doing so.
The downside is that bids tend to be a bit smaller so the game draws out a bit more, but no one minded. As a matter of fact people wanted to play it MORE after we started playing this way.

Anyway, it's a fun game how it is, but if you want to up the intensity I highly recommend this variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting! We will try it out to see if it spices things up. Always felt a bit wrong that you could be drawing tiles just to make the bonuses with no consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently acquired this game and that is the way we've been playing it, not realizing we weren't following the rules properly. I guess it just feels more intuitive that way. There were some whispers of the game taking too long, but I think the gambler types liked it better. I'll need to play the correct way and report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does add length. Lucky for me all the folks playing really enjoyed it so it was not a big deal, but if everyone is not totally in to it I could see how it might be too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adidas02 wrote:
Anyway, it's a fun game how it is, but if you want to up the intensity I highly recommend this variant!

I'm not sure how this would increase intensity. Suppose I'm the last player to draw coal and that somebody else has already drawn enough to make my bet good. Then I should stop immediately, so as not to invalidate my bet by drawing a devil. It's a boring safety play for me.

With the game as-written, I should keep drawing to get one of the bonuses for most coal. And I draw one at a time, hoping not to get a devil. Some tension, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone already drew up to you total, are you going to risk losing it all to try and get bonuses, or are you just going to draw a single coal and then stop to play it safe?

The way that it is written there is no risk once someone has draw up to your total. Just start pulling coal till you either draw a devil, or get the bonus you want...you are already guaranteed your winnings. How is that not a boring safety play?

The beauty of this is that you can play it the way you want. Don't like this variant, don't use it. Everyone who has played it so far with me has enjoyed it more....and they have all said it makes it far more intense with more risk involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you fail to realize though is that if you're not the last to play and there are many more after yourself, you can lower the chances of the others successfully drawing their bets if they bet higher than what was already achieved if you draw and draw coal successfully without getting a devil thus Increasing the ratio of devil pieces to number pieces prior to what it was before you started drawing coal thereby decreasing the probability that your later opponents will achieve their target bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just like any other house rule, it's good for some, not for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.