Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and girlfriend played two games of this yesterday and while I really enjoyed the puzzly and strategic nature of the 2 player game (and the great art and production value!) - as it really gives you a lot to think about - my girlfriend really did not enjoy the "take that" element of the game.

We began to think about a way to play the game by using the "attack" characters to build up a player's game rather than by by bringing down your opponent's game.

We thought for the Femme Fatale - instead of swapping a figure perhaps you could just add two figures of your own (as this would have the same net effect).

For the Solider we thought a player could add a figure of their own to an outer region instead of killing one of your opponent's.

For the Saboteur we thought he could blow up an unoccupied ship. However, since that probably isn't as powerful as the original power - we thought perhaps he could empty and redistribute figures from a ship placing them in available slots first and then if there are any remaining figures to place, placing them on ships that have already met the quota (or in the next new ship from the draw pile?). (We were the most unsure how to modify the Saboteur character - so if anyone has suggestions let me know.)

Of course we would need to remove some of the event cards as well since the space memorial would always be unoccupied - but all-in-all I think this could make the game a bit more friendly (especially with 2 players) while still keeping all the strategy and fun assuming it remains properly balanced.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your position, but pretty much every area control game I can think of has a way to move, remove and exchange control figures. It is kind of the nature of that type of game.

In an interesting twist however, this game actually mitigates it a bit by including cards that would allow a player to use (move, gain points) the figures "killed" and sent to the Lost in Space Memorial, so you could in principle actually benefit from players blowing up your ships.

Perhaps you are asking too much of a game that was designed with a particular mindset and gameplay in mind. I say give it another try, trying to adjust the strategy to account for this type of effects. Instead of take-that think of it as strategic manipulation of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say just give it another play or two. I mean, you COULD make those changes you want, but I just don't understand the why. You're effectively not changing the outcome with your zero-sum change modifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
I'd say just give it another play or two. I mean, you COULD make those changes you want, but I just don't understand the why. You're effectively not changing the outcome with your zero-sum change modifications.
The why He would make those changes is because it makes his gaming partner enjoy the game. It makes the game feel more friendly. Instead of a "Take that" feeling you get a "Oh you just played more pieces" feeling. She is happy. He is happy. All is good!

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls