Subject: Question for the Warhammer Loremasters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this game looks really interesting and fun, and it got me thinking--what are some other conflicts from the Horus Heresy that could utilize this same game system?

I personally am not very familiar with the Warhammer setting beyond Space Hulk, and a few things I've looked into while researching Betrayal at Calth.

For those of you with more knowledge of the setting, background and history, what are some other events from the Horus Heresy that would work great as a "boxed game?" I think it would be so cool if this was the first part of a system that told that story through narrative gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Istvaan III.

This is the place where the betrayal takes roots and there is a big confrontation between loyalist and traitors elements fron different legions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut straight to the chase...THE battle on Horus' battlebarge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signus Prime with Blood Angels vs Daemons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything! Especially when they start making miniatures of the Emperor and his sons in plastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The history of the Horus Heresy is very deep, the legion versus legion seems to be very popular as it's obviously pretty well balanced due to similar forces.

But yeah, second the barge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 Isstvan III. Even single chapters divided and fought amongst themselves.

World Eaters vs civilian populace might not be very balanced though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wasserman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The thing to keep in mind is that the minis they provide are explicitly without legion symbols on them to allow you to use them for any famous battle. Really the whole game is kind of secondary to just having plastic, rather than resin, Horus Heresy miniatures.

That said off the top of my head there's the following that were one-on-one (So no Istvaan)

Battle of Phall: Iron Warriors vs Imperial Fists

First Battle of Prospero: Space Wolves vs Thousand Sons

Second Battle of Prospero: White Scars vs Death Guard

Thramas Crusade: Dark Angels vs Night Lords

Battle of Paramar: Alpha Legion vs Iron Warriors

And a whole lot of others I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great responses! All of those sound like they'd be really fun in a system like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jareddm wrote:
This must have been the edgier battle of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Istvaan V.

Don´t forget about this battle, althought you would need a lot of minis to play this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on folks, there are literally 30+ Hours Heresy novels. We haven't named 10 battles. Heck, grab a random HH novel and open it to a random page. You wont be more than 10 pages from a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Iván
Chile
Santiago de Chile
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jareddm wrote:
The thing to keep in mind is that the minis they provide are explicitly without legion symbols on them to allow you to use them for any famous battle. Really the whole game is kind of secondary to just having plastic, rather than resin, Horus Heresy miniatures.

That said off the top of my head there's the following that were one-on-one (So no Istvaan)

Battle of Phall: Iron Warriors vs Imperial Fists

First Battle of Prospero: Space Wolves vs Thousand Sons

Second Battle of Prospero: White Scars vs Death Guard

Battle of Paramar: Alpha Legion vs Iron Warriors

And a whole lot of others I'm missing.
Thanks for that response. I'm not into the table top game, but this as a boargame seems like a good deal, but I'm tired of the Ultra Marines - Blood Angels colour scheme (got tired of painting those chapters.

So I guess I could use Wolves vs Thousand Sons or Iron Warriors vs Imperial Fists. Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am NOT endorsing any products. But, for those who don't know, GW's subsidiary Forge World has a bunch of add ons for each legion. Also, for those who care, the colors of various Space Marine legions/chapters have changed over tine. Especially Chaos. If it matters for fluff or fun, Space Wolves of 30K may have had different colors way back when (29,985 years in the future).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wasserman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Come on folks, there are literally 30+ Hours Heresy novels. We haven't named 10 battles. Heck, grab a random HH novel and open it to a random page. You wont be more than 10 pages from a battle.
It's not as easy as you think because most of them aren't one legion vs one legion. They're multiple legions on each side. The World Eaters and the Word Bearers instigated the Shadow Crusade together against the Ultramarines. The Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children were routinely fighting the Shattered Legion, made up of Iron Hands, Salamanders, and Raven Guard. Or they're not against other marines, such as the Massacre at Pythos or the Conquest of Manachea.
Although the one I was missing was the battle of Alaxxes' Space Wolves vs Alpha Legion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls