Subject: New Zealand Traveling Accomodations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Laurent
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) fanMicrobadge: I love all games!Microbadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Statistics fan
Hello Kiwis / fellow BGG-ers. I am a scientist who will be traveling to Antarctica later in a few days to launch an Solar experiment aboard a high-altitude balloon. While my return date is still up in the air (I currently have a 1-way ticket to McMurdo through Christchurch!) due to possible slipping of the launch, I'm planning on spending ~ 10 days in New Zealand before my return home to Colorado. Likely dates from Dec 9th-19th.

Other than a rental car, I haven't booked any accommodations. I'd like to see if anyone has an available spare room or at minimum any suggestions for an inexpensive place to crash. I'm clean, quiet, educated, non-smoker/drinker and not too picky on a place to stay. I'd be happy to offer to bring / donate any games from my (large) collection as well.

I'm open to staying on either of the islands, though I'll likely want to explore the north a bit as I am an avid snorkler / diver.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hamburger loverMicrobadge: Triathlon fan - Ironman FinisherMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fan
I'm in Auckland and you're welcome to stay 2 or 3 nights with us. PM me and we can work out the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome to Aotearoa!

I’m based in Tauranga on the North Island’s east coast. The Pacific Ocean is about 7 minutes’ walk from our house. I can’t guarantee a place to stay, but definitely get in touch closer to the time as there’s some great diving spots in the area, I’m told. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Microbadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: xkcd fanMicrobadge: Let's do something CRAZY!Microbadge: I prefer to do something that's in my comfort zone.Microbadge: I Love Summer
I can offer a place to stay in Hamilton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
Microbadge: Artipia Games "Among the Stars: The Ambassadors" Contest participantMicrobadge: Wizards of the Coast Conquest of Nerath Contest participantMicrobadge: Dexikon fanMicrobadge: Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game Contest participantMicrobadge: Wellycon attendee
I'm in Wellington, currently looking for a house. If I have a house by then, you can stay in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Microbadge: 2009 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2012 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Board Games By The Bay attendeeMicrobadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2018 Secret Santa participant
I can also offer accommodation in Hamilton. Not exactly a tourist mecca, but one advantage Hamilton has is that it is an hour's drive away from all sorts of exciting places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
I was going to suggest some hostels. I went backpacking through New Zealand and found plenty of affordable and nice hostels. You have some other options though, and I'm not surprised. The people in New Zealand were amazingly nice and friendly when I traveled there. The country is beautiful as well. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time there Glenn. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Truth
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Scythe fan
If you need a place to stay in the Wellington Region we have a spare room.
Although I know of those far less out of the way who offer couch surfing as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Laurent
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) fanMicrobadge: I love all games!Microbadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Statistics fan
Thanks for all of the generous offers! I'll PM each of you later today to update you on my status and work out the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hamburger loverMicrobadge: Triathlon fan - Ironman FinisherMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fan
SCUBA dive offer
https://www.grouponnz.co.nz/deals/dealbank_en_nz/new-zealand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Diablo III fanMicrobadge: ANZAC Day - April 25th: Lest we forgetMicrobadge: Poets of the Fall fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
I'm just below Christchurch in Burnham Military Camp. you're welcome to stay for a few nights if you're down this way.

http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/christchurch/attractions-an...

I don't know much (nothing) about diving but there are some popular places around here that people go. Some mates are into diving around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pickering
New Zealand
Rolleston
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Driving a yellow VolkswagenMicrobadge: Cricket fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Vegemite lover
Not sure where you're leaving NZ from, but assuming you're coming back to ChCh and likely that you'll be flying out of Auckland you might want to consider looking into relocating rentals from ChCh to Auk.
The rental companies including the campervan ones often have lots of vehicles that need to go back to Auckland after one way rentals. Often you can source a free or much reduced cost campervan hire that will give you a good few days to relocate the vehicle up north. If you go the campervan route you will of course have your accommodation wherever you like.
Sorry I don't have the online links readily available but I'm sure they're not difficult to find.
Whatever you decide have a great time in NZ, just remember although distances look small on the maps, often the journey can take much longer due to the lack of decent highways here. Plenty to see but 10 days might cut down your options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls