Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like King of Tokyo a lot and am always up for a game. I like how simple and easy it is to teach. Sometimes I feel like the games are too quick tho, and too often, I feel like the energy cubes (or zizzits) go unused. In an effort to bring the cards more into play, we started instituting the following house-rules

- All monsters start with one energy cube
- [1 2 3] = energy cube - if you end your turn showing a [1 2 3], gain one energy cube. the die cannot be used in any other combos.

it doesn't change much, but it seems to get the cubes involved earlier

what do y'all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are playing a different game than me.

Games go just about the right amount of time and if anything go a little long.

We value energy very highly and will typically go after energy rather than the potential point score.

If your concern is that games goes too fast giving everyone energy and a typically useless roll scoring more energy your games are only going to go faster.

In our house this is the generally valued rolls in order:

Hearts if wounded
Claws
a set of 3's
Energy
less than a set of 3's
2s
1s
hearts if not wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ok with fast games. and keep in mind that we aren't actively trying to roll a [123], just if it happens you gain a cube.

this gives people a jump start on cubes, and makes them more likely to choose the lightning bolt over something else. if they are gaining cubes, they aren't scoring points/attacking/healing, which (in theory) makes the game longer.

making the game longer is not the goal here. getting players more cubes quicker is. we like cubes, we like cards, and for us these minor tweaks are a welcomed addition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
At my house it is all about lightning bolts. We roll for them constantly. We focus on hearts when damaged and claws only when we feel we have bought enough cards.

Rolling numbers is of no interest to us unless we luck out and get a tripple 3 for example.

Anything that can make rolling energize more frequent would go over well at my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd offer that people who are rolling for energy aren't playing well. Someone who was aggressively going for the win would kick their butts.

I appreciate what you are suggesting. Anything that gets more energy into the game is good, and an energy is a nice consolation prize for people who would otherwise have three wasted dice. I can't imagine too many people end up with 1 2 3 showing, though, so it seems kind of pointless. I like the idea of each monster getting one energy each turn. I haven't tried it myself, since I have my own deck of cheaper cards and that fixes the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: F1 fanMicrobadge: Rallyman: GT fanMicrobadge: Rallyman fanMicrobadge: I like driving dirt rallyes!Microbadge: Formula D fan
We start with 2 cubes and get a bonus cube for 3 lightning bolts.

We did this to get more cards into play. The game has some many cool cards with great artwork that I wanted to see more cards.

It hasn't affected play styles. My oldest son is still the collector and focuses on energy and buying cards. My youngest is all about the claws. The only difference is a few more cards come into play and earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I'd offer that people who are rolling for energy aren't playing well. Someone who was aggressively going for the win would kick their butts.

I appreciate what you are suggesting. Anything that gets more energy into the game is good, and an energy is a nice consolation prize for people who would otherwise have three wasted dice. I can't imagine too many people end up with 1 2 3 showing, though, so it seems kind of pointless. I like the idea of each monster getting one energy each turn. I haven't tried it myself, since I have my own deck of cheaper cards and that fixes the problem.
Yes this is pretty much how our games go.

123 doesn't show up much, but it has at least once in most of our games.

edit: formatting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jetcougar wrote:
We start with 2 cubes and get a bonus cube for 3 lightning bolts.

We did this to get more cards into play. The game has some many cool cards with great artwork that I wanted to see more cards.

It hasn't affected play styles. My oldest son is still the collector and focuses on energy and buying cards. My youngest is all about the claws. The only difference is a few more cards come into play and earlier.
spot on. cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game suffers largely from group think.

The first people I played with I'd always win on points (a rather passive group).
The second one practically always ended up with one monster alive (very claw dependent group).
But I've also seen people dominate with an energy based strategy. Especially if one can combine some cards that have a synergy and do that in the first turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over here we have 5 people in the family, so it's almost certain that someone will have different styles.
2 of us go for EC all day while the other three focus on getting those 3VP combos. I don't think this variant would help all that much because I don't know if anyone in our house would roll a [1 2 3]. It might happen, and occasionally does happen, but if it does we usually ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quadratus3 wrote:
Over here we have 5 people in the family, so it's almost certain that someone will have different styles.
2 of us go for EC all day while the other three focus on getting those 3VP combos. I don't think this variant would help all that much because I don't know if anyone in our house would roll a [1 2 3]. It might happen, and occasionally does happen, but if it does we usually ignore it.
again, I feel the need to clarify, we are not actively trying to roll a 123. just that, if it happens that at the end of your turn you have a 123 showing, you would gain one energy cube

its a once or twice a game kinda thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 15
Microbadge: Dice Throne Season 2 fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Champions of Midgard fanMicrobadge: Epic fanMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game Fan
My favorite energy variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls