Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
Here's the situation:

A defending block loses a battle and is required to perform a mandatory withdrawal. 2 blocks made a frontal attack on the withdrawing block, and there is one non-participating enemy block that is in an adjacent position on its left flank but did not participate in attack.

The defending block is first required to withdraw to its rear area. So the block proceeds to move back one position to its rear.

In the new position, the withdrawing block is now adjacent to a new enemy block that was not originally adjacent to the unit but was sitting in the rear area. Note: the withdrawing block is no longer adjacent to the original attacking blocks, but is *still* adjacent to the enemy block that was originally on its left flank.

So ... the question is: Is the withdrawing block required to stop its withdrawal now that it is adjacent to a NEW enemy block? Or does the block that was adjacent to it on its left flank, allow the withdrawing block to continue withdrawing even though it is now adjacent to new enemy blocks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that when you started retreat you are at position 0 of distnce, trough your rear area you can retreat to distance 1 (share a end point) and then go on. Is it not possible to increase the distance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read the rules, you must stop because of the new enemy unit.

I think that the rules are designed to allow a unit to retreat further away from units that were involved in the attack, either directly or flanking, but must stop when encountering new enemy troops, which would constitute a new threat that must be handled separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with nappeto. And don't forget to reduce your withdrawing block by a step! (Given this particular situation, that is). (Pg 11, bottom right)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alazṓn Theatre
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I believe the block is stuck

Page 11 s.14 4th paragraph under Withdrawal moves.

"If a withdrawing block enters a position adjacent to an enemy block, it MUST end its move there..."
(...unless it was the SAME enemy block before the withdrawal")

New block - new problem as stated above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask something? Post a pic of the situation. That way we can cross reference exactly with the rules and say what happens.

When I had questions on rules the answer is easier to give seeing the exact situation on the map and the guys here really helped me out.

By the way, why no Avatar yet? No wargammer should be left behind without an Avatar. It's an option or just missing the
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
Fennic wrote:
Yes I believe the block is stuck

Page 11 s.14 4th paragraph under Withdrawal moves.

"If a withdrawing block enters a position adjacent to an enemy block, it MUST end its move there..."
(...unless it was the SAME enemy block before the withdrawal")

New block - new problem as stated above

Well it is adjacent to the same enemy block. 0.0

But it is also adjacent to a new enemy block ....

So which is it??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
davidallves wrote:
Can I ask something? Post a pic of the situation. That way we can cross reference exactly with the rules and say what happens.

When I had questions on rules the answer is easier to give seeing the exact situation on the map and the guys here really helped me out.

By the way, why no Avatar yet? No wargammer should be left behind without an Avatar. It's an option or just missing the
Laziness? I think I didn't get an avatar because it originally cost bucks (and I'm on a shoestring budget). But now that I have the "gold coin" stuff, I guess I can get an avatar? Just put it this way: I haven't put in the effort. Would rather play games than struggle with an odd interface. 0.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

DanteEdmundo wrote:
But it is also adjacent to a new enemy block ....

So which is it??
It's the adjacency to the new enemy block, which the retreating block entered into during its withdraw movement, which triggers the ruling that it must stop. If that new block wasn't there the retreating block could keep going.

At least I believe that's what nappeto, myself, and Fennic are saying.

Though David has a point... although I think I have a good picture of the situation you're describing, a visual wouldn't hurt so we can be sure with our replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
Well hells bells. Whoever gave me the extra gold coins thanks.

I guess this means I'll have to put up some kind of avatar ... I'll get to it tomorrow. I'm kinda wiped out right now.

And thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to assume that if the retreat takes place with a new block adjacent then the buck stops there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations with your new avatar! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip