Thunderbirds» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts so far... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife have had quite a lot of plays thus far. After a number of goes to get used to it we decided to pick 3 and see how far we could go.

We went for Scott, Virgil and Alan as our trio, these prove to be a very versatile combo.
We played a series of games at each level, as we played we learned from mistakes and grew in efficiency. We came to realise that player characters sharing vehicles can be very effective as opposed to going around on their own. At legend level we lost our first few games and then kept at it until we had a 50/50 win loss, then kept at it more until we improved further.
We even then tried using a level 3,4,5 scheme game.
Our win rate quickly dropped to about 10%, but we did get a win. We kept at it and did improve the win rate even at this extreme level. We found that using characters in conjunction with each other was vital. Special abilities need to be utilised, fab cards should be purchased with any spare blue tokens, plan well ahead with required pod vehicles, we try to avoid attempting disasters which require us to score more than 5 (after bonuses) unless we have +2 or refoll tokens, we found that to be successful you had to plan not only the current players turn but the following 1 or 2 at the same time.
Losses on disasters can be crippling as any plans you have can go out of the window, so really make sure you have a good chance of success. A double hood roll is generally very bad and can put you up against it for quite a time while you try to catch up, if you can.
At the harder levels of the game we found that we would get the required tokens, etc then have to work hard at clearing the disaster track a bit to allow the time to position for a few turns to win.
Hope there are some tips here to help out a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Raps
Netherlands
Vlijmen
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you use three characters with only two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 3 times and only on the I II III introductory setting and our win rate is 1 in 3.

In our last game we were 4 players and doing pretty well, we had Lady P on our squad and it just happened that the first 2 schemes required Intel so we thought we were pretty comfortable. We got rid of the first scheme quite easily and used the space to grab a couple of F.A.B. cards with spare actions (advancing the hood), only to be suddenly thwarted by a double-hood roll and John out of Thunderbird 5 on the mission.

I doubt I'll ever reach the point where I get a better than 50% win rate, but I'm quite happy with that it's the thrilling adventure that I'm enjoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapseflaps wrote:
Why did you use three characters with only two players?
When we play coop games we try all combos of player counts and character combos. We basically work as a team in command of the resources, the characters being the resources.

We played a number of games with 2/4 characters as well before our test run with these 3. We found that the 2 player is actually quite a bit harder with the higher level schemes, the ones where you need players in 2 different places and vehicles in a 3rd location. 4 player we didn't do many of so not really able to comment much on difficulty of that.

When we get a new game we tend to try to find a good combo of characters and push the game as far as we can, by repeatedly playing with the same characters you become more adept at using them.

We have now started doing the same with Gordon, John and Penelope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you repeatedly play with the same characters you can push your win rates up, we find that when we swap characters we quite often struggle for a few games until we get used to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
I've only played 3 times and only on the I II III introductory setting and our win rate is 1 in 3.

In our last game we were 4 players and doing pretty well, we had Lady P on our squad and it just happened that the first 2 schemes required Intel so we thought we were pretty comfortable. We got rid of the first scheme quite easily and used the space to grab a couple of F.A.B. cards with spare actions (advancing the hood), only to be suddenly thwarted by a double-hood roll and John out of Thunderbird 5 on the mission.

I doubt I'll ever reach the point where I get a better than 50% win rate, but I'm quite happy with that it's the thrilling adventure that I'm enjoying.
I played my second game (solo - Intro level) yesterday. Wow, what a game! I had Alan, Scott and John as the characters. I didn't swap out. I was lucky with a couple of easy to complete disasters which eased the pressure at the start and enabled the team to defeat the Hood's first scheme early. The game was a long one. I only had 14 disaster cards left when I finally defeated the Hood's final scheme.

My strategy is to concentrate on completing disasters in the top two spots to keep the threat as low as possible, and build up the tokens needed. I only pulled a few FAB cards towards the end when I had a buffer of a few spaces on the Hood path. Fortunately, it all came together this time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tisdel
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The Man with the Pointy Hat
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: HERO System fanMicrobadge: Warhammer 40,000 fan - Emperor's Children - Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!Microbadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: Information Technologist
So far my record is 2 and 8 - (3 with 3-player and 7 solitaire) and one of those wins should not count as we misplayed the "F.A.B." cards (drawing one when resolving a disaster rather than a scheme). Of my losses, all where caused by being swamped by Disasters - the Hood's schemes never beat me.

One nice thing is that when things go all pear-shaped, its pretty fast so you can quickly get in another game (then another, and another and another...)

Doubling pegs up on the same Thunderbird (usually T2) appears to be a good option as you can keep the same Thunderbird in play over each round. The issue with look ahead - trying to coordinate resolving Disasters is key. Its not just where they are located and which Pod Vehicles are needed but, and this is the hard part for me, you have to get the right tokens in hand. It is for the later that Lady P comes in very handy with here "exchange token" abilities.

Still need to play more... this game is addicting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to add that the main cause of lost games is by far the disaster track, and this is normally due to a couple failed missions from unlucky rolls.

The real exception to this is when we had the first scheme as a level 3, this really made a huge difference and we lost a number of games from the hood catching us before we could clear that first scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtisdel wrote:
Doubling pegs up on the same Thunderbird (usually T2) appears to be a good option
Yeah unless that event which renders T2's speed to 1 crops up. As it did for us with 2 of our player characters in it, at the weekend. Sure put a spanner in our works.

It was at one of those points where we already had the requirements to clear scheme 1. We just needed to fly T2 to Asia on the next player's turn but had 1 action remaining on current player so thought F.A.B. card ... what's the worst that could happen? Well, we know better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
jtisdel wrote:
Doubling pegs up on the same Thunderbird (usually T2) appears to be a good option
Yeah unless that event which renders T2's speed to 1 crops up. As it did for us with 2 of our player characters in it, at the weekend. Sure put a spanner in our works.

It was at one of those points where we already had the requirements to clear scheme 1. We just needed to fly T2 to Asia on the next player's turn but had 1 action remaining on current player so thought F.A.B. card ... what's the worst that could happen? Well, we know better now.
Even with this limitation there is still a maximum of 3 actions to get to Asia, meaning that the next player could still get to Asia and clear scheme 1.

This movement limitation can never make your total moves cost more then one action more to get somewhere, it is why the movement limitation on TB 3 is much worse then the one on TB2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nav Chi
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4 player game the other night. Scott, Alan, Virgil, and John. Heroic difficulty *eek*

Started out okay, got the first scheme completed, and having John in TB5 able to ignore hood rolls really helped, along with his 'SCAN' ability. But then...KIRANO! KIRANO! almost lost the game there were it not for a 'Hood Advances' card. Got back on track but kept having to spend tokens to avert disasters. Completed the 2nd scheme but things were getting tight with disasters starting to pile up.

It all came down to the final roll. The last disaster was on the 7 spot. The hood was one space away from completing his final scheme, and there was only one disaster left in the draw pile. Everyone had their tokens where they had to be except Virgil who needed the final one from "City of Fire." Last roll of the dice, makes the roll by +1. Family saved! Tokens collected, final scheme completed. We all breathed a sigh relief.

Fantastic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a little update on our progress, quite a few more games played now with Gordon, John and Penelope. These are definitely more difficult to play with than Scott, Virgil and Alan. At legend level we are now hovering around the 30% success rate while we pushed the other 3 to 50%+. I think the main reason for this could be: Penelope does not get a disaster bonus and she needs to be in Europe to collect a token also Gordon is not able to collect a token unless he is in TB4 which frequently is left behind due to lack of speed and John is also not able to collect a token as an action. This basically limits them to getting tokens from disasters thereby causing delays.

Virgil's ability to get green tokens also seems to be huge as it enables the collecting of pod vehicles very easily which help with disasters and schemes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storgar wrote:
Virgil's ability to get green tokens also seems to be huge as it enables the collecting of pod vehicles very easily which help with disasters and schemes.
It's not dissimilar to Penelope: a "token" of your choice per turn for the cost of an action. In Virgil's case the "token" is a pod vehicle - effectively a reusable token for use with Disasters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Coalville
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Raiders of the Game Cupboard attendeeMicrobadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Nations fan - Envy my booksMicrobadge: You've been Caked
I actually think Gordon is a strong character to have. His ability to generate a token gets you one of the more powerful tokens - extra actions in this game can be huge - and the liability of TB4 being slow is negated if you simply carry it in TB2. His +3 to Sea rescues means that often you only need him and 1 of the other bonuses (usually TB4) to be in the 3-5 area that we aim for on the dice.

However, I agree with John and Penny being harder to play, especially in a 2 player game. Both of their abilities are very strong, but with John spending his first action of the game returning to Earth and Penny being in Europe, you need the first 3 disasters to be kind to you to have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Storgar wrote:
It's not dissimilar to Penelope: a "token" of your choice per turn for the cost of an action. In Virgil's case the "token" is a pod vehicle - effectively a reusable token for use with Disasters.
Penelope's ability is good but is limited to Europe only, thereby restricting movement if you want to make good use of it. While Virgil you would normally keep in TB2 so can use it anytime (almost).

Sandals wrote:
I actually think Gordon is a strong character to have. His ability to generate a token gets you one of the more powerful tokens - extra actions in this game can be huge - and the liability of TB4 being slow is negated if you simply carry it in TB2. His +3 to Sea rescues means that often you only need him and 1 of the other bonuses (usually TB4) to be in the 3-5 area that we aim for on the dice.

However, I agree with John and Penny being harder to play, especially in a 2 player game. Both of their abilities are very strong, but with John spending his first action of the game returning to Earth and Penny being in Europe, you need the first 3 disasters to be kind to you to have a chance.

I agree Gordon is strong as he gives you +3 on sea rescues however TB4 has to be quite often dropped somewhere to allow moving of pod vehicles and occasionally FAB1, this then limits occasions when you can draw yellow tokens.

When you consider Virgil, Scott and Alan, they all have fast mobile TB's and can therefore stay in them for most of the game and make use of their ability on almost any turn they wish.

Totally agree with your points on John & Penny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Coalville
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Raiders of the Game Cupboard attendeeMicrobadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Nations fan - Envy my booksMicrobadge: You've been Caked
Storgar wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Storgar wrote:
Penelope's ability is good but is limited to Europe only, thereby restricting movement if you want to make good use of it. While Virgil you would normally keep in TB2 so can use it anytime (almost).

I thought Penny could swap a token anywhere, but had to be in Europe to draw one? The swapping is much more useful in a 2 player game - where she is going to be collecting about half the tokens anyway - than in a larger player count. In the larger player count though, she can stay closer to Europe and can get more tokens to swap.

She's still better then John...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea it was the collecting rather than swapping I was reffering too, she can swap anywhere. But as she does not get a disaster bonus it can be more difficult for her to get them. But in a 2 player game her likely hood of collecting tokens does increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls