Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to my FLGS last week with the intent of buying a set of ship mats and 4 ships, as I already have the starter set and wanted to expand. I hadn't read much in advance, and figured I'd just choose once I got there.

The problem is the ship packs give NO information on what you're buying. The name of each ship was printed on the price sticker, not on the box itself. Nationality, history / background, etc. were missing. And most importantly the burden and maneuver deck type wasn't displayed.

So I didn't want to blindly buy a bunch of ships and regret my purchases. I'd like to know if I'm getting a duplicate maneuver deck, since my intent with new ships was to get more variety. Having to research in advance and write down your wishlist is a bit onerous and stops impulse buys.
I assume the lack of unique box printing was done as a cost saving measure.

Anyway just a minor quibble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure Ares appreciates your feedback and I'll look forward to their response.

A set of fresh eyes is often useful.

I came over from Wings of Glory as a longtime fan so when I first heard of Sails, I started reading up on it.

Frankly, the idea that someone will walk into a FLGS having never heard of the game and plunk down $100 on some plastic ships is pretty unlikely in my opinion, but perhaps that makes the point you brought up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Frankly, the idea that someone will walk into a FLGS having never heard of the game and plunk down $100 on some plastic ships is pretty unlikely in my opinion, but perhaps that makes the point you brought up.
I should have clarified, I already own the starter set, so it's not entirely blind. I just didn't think to research the 20+ ships my FLGS has in stock in advance. I figured I could just look once I was there to get a feel for each ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see.
Well that does clarify it.

I'm kind of with you, I'd have no idea without some preliminary research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This file has been immensely helpful for deciding what I want to buy. But I'd love this kind of information up front on the packaging.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/99674/sails-glory-ship-lis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All British ships begin with "HMS". Those that do not are French at this stage, with a couple of Spanish exceptions which are based on French ship designs anyway and would most likely fight on the French side.

The real indicator missing on the box is the number of guns of the ship so you can focus on buying all the 74's available as those were the most common ship in an average battle so most useful to have for both sides in your collection.

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:
All British ships begin with "HMS". Those that do not are French at this stage, with a couple of Spanish exceptions which are based on French ship designs anyway and would most likely fight on the French side.
Yeah the nationality isn't too bad since you can see the name and the flag, since there are American/Privateer etc.

I think the burden, maneuver deck, and number of guns should be added. Sort of annoying if you're trying to get a new movement type for a ship of the line and unknowingly end up with a pair of Bs again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to point out that you don't have this problem when you get all of the ships.... *ducks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
I just want to point out that you don't have this problem when you get all of the ships.... *ducks

That's my first step after winning the lottery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update, I ended up researching and buying the HMS Royal George and HMS Sybille, plus the Orient and Proserpine.

I'm storing the ships in the box but I kept their stat card in the base and that was readable enough. Maybe Ares should just ship them like that
Also my Ship Log pieces were bent in 2/4 ships I bought...not sure if it's rough treatment at the store, weather differences, or not enough padding during shipping.

Either way I'm excited I can play an 8 person SoG game now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
bosky wrote:
Just an update, I ended up researching and buying the HMS Royal George and HMS Sybille, plus the Orient and Proserpine.

I'm storing the ships in the box but I kept their stat card in the base and that was readable enough. Maybe Ares should just ship them like that
Also my Ship Log pieces were bent in 2/4 ships I bought...not sure if it's rough treatment at the store, weather differences, or not enough padding during shipping.

Either way I'm excited I can play an 8 person SoG game now!
My ship logs have been bent in all of the 3 sloops that I've purchased. It's a result of the cellophane wrapper bending the longer, outter logs around the smaller, inner logs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls