Hide
7 Posts

Dr. Boom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engineer gives his card to the president rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Hauser
msg tools
I wish the rules gave you more information, it tells you what your objective is and that's it. While most of the rules seem obvious enough, I have 1 question left over, what happens if a nurse or engineer gives their card to someone other than the Doctor or Boom? I assume pretending to be dr boom would be a good tactic as the president(or even nurse) to try and get the engineer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Microbadge: Steven Universe fan - GarnetMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: Praise Beebo!Microbadge: Two Rooms and a Boom - Blue TeamMicrobadge: Anyone can be a werewolf!
Are you playing a 5 player game? I don't think any of this changes, though.

Then whichever side is missing a card that they are supposed to receive, they lose.

So for example, if the Engineer gives his card to the President, then the Red Team (Dr. Boom and Engineer) loses.

If the Nurse gives their card to the Dr. Boom, then the Doctor doesn't get it. Which means Blue team (Pres/Doc/Nurse) loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hauser
msg tools
Alright, I guess what I was wondering was if the president/nurse/engineer were allowed to accept a card given, thanks.

Also, for clarification, according to the rulebook that I have the president would still be able to win in any of these scenarios as long as he chose the right Doctor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Microbadge: Steven Universe fan - GarnetMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: Praise Beebo!Microbadge: Two Rooms and a Boom - Blue TeamMicrobadge: Anyone can be a werewolf!
Thomassaurus wrote:
Alright, I guess what I was wondering was if the president/nurse/engineer were allowed to accept a card given, thanks.

Also, for clarification, according to the rulebook that I have the president would still be able to win in any of these scenarios as long as he chose the right Doctor.
I don't think they are allowed to officially deny a card that was offered to them. (This isn't including "Oh no don't pick me!" banter.)

It's been a couple years since I've looked at the rules for this. But I was under the impression that for the blue team to win:

The Doctor has to receive the Nurse card.
The President has to receive the Doctor card.

If both of those don't happen, then the whole blue team loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
From the website: http://tuesdayknightgames.com/drboom/

How to Play - 5 players

President, Doctor, and Nurse are Blue Team.
Bomb and Engineer are Red Team.
Blue Team wins if Nurse gives his/her card facedown to the Doctor and the President chooses the Doctor.
Red Team wins if the Engineer gives his/her card facedown to the Bomb and the President chooses the Bomb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gerding
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The President's win condition is always the same regardless of the player count: President wins if the President chooses the Doctor.

The other character's win objectives change depending on the player count. In 5 player:

Dr. Boom and Engineer only win if the Engineer passes their card face down AND the President selects Dr. Boom. If either of those two things don't happen, those characters both lose.

The Doctor and Nurse only win if the Nurse passes their card face down AND the President selects the Doctor. If either of those two things don't happen, those characters both lose.

It is possible for everyone to lose. The website needs an update. This rule change occurred because if both the nurse and engineer gave their card to one of the non-president characters, then the president was forced to choose that character. This did not equal as much fun as the ruleset as mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doberman wrote:
The website needs an update. This rule change occurred because if both the nurse and engineer gave their card to one of the non-president characters, then the president was forced to choose that character. This did not equal as much fun as the ruleset as mentioned above.
Below is how the five player game is described in the 2R1B rulebook. So this doesn't just re-word what's currently on the website (as quoted above), but includes an actual rule change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls