Subject: El Grande vs. Royals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse DeRoy
Canada
Bracebridge
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Just about to get El Grande Big Box. However I am wondering how similar this is to Royals. If you could justify owning both? Are they even that similar? Just trying to mitigate owning too many similar games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
Vierkirchen
Bayern
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Cycling fanMicrobadge: Train GamerMicrobadge: Mombasa fan - book Microbadge: Steam: Rails to Riches fan
They're both area control games, but play very differently.

That said, sell Royals if you consider them similar. El Grande ist so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wray
United States
Harrisonville
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden ReviewerMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: The Opinionated Gamers fanMicrobadge: I love MissouriMicrobadge: Social deduction games fan
I like Royals, but I love El Grande.

That said, they aren't very similar. El Grande is a bit heavier IMHO. I always said Royals is a bit of what you get if you mix El Grande with Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Microbadge: MeepleCon attendeeMicrobadge: Die Macher fanMicrobadge: Nuclear War fanMicrobadge: SPI fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
I like and am happy to own them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
Microbadge: Cupcake loverMicrobadge: Chocolate Chip Cookie loverMicrobadge: Bacon!Microbadge: Cheesecake loverMicrobadge: I love Yorkies!
You can definitely own both. Royals is more newbie friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls