1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Fastest top 20 ever? (EDIT) ...I meant top 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
Does anyone remember a game entering so strongly the bgg rank as Pandemic Legacy is doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fastest top 20 ever?
Outside of April Fool's and BGGcon jokes, no. 7 Wonders rose fast, but not this fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 1 chance anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Top 1 chance anyone?
There are a couple threads about this very topic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My prediction is that this game's forum will have the most threads on this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van der Werf
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Top 1 chance anyone?
Seems like a very good chance. Anything that can be rated tends to drop after the initial rush but not all that much so I expect with triple the amount of votes this to sit at 8.5 and probably enough to clinch #1, estimating 4 months.

But we will see, maybe it has short longevity and does drop severely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Robot74 wrote:
Does anyone remember a game entering so strongly the bgg rank as Pandemic Legacy is doing?
I think Caverna was in the Top 20 before the end of October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Robot74 wrote:
From the Essen 2013 list:
Quote:
Entered the Top 50 on January 22nd
Feb-25 21 1821 8.49 #1 #4
Mar-10 18 1987 8.49 #1 #3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I completed the 2017 Alphabet board game challenge!Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: I completed the 100 Games x 1 Challenge - 2019Microbadge: I logged 365 plays in 365 days in 2018!Microbadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
swirlsaepi wrote:
Robot74 wrote:
Doesn't sound right, if the english edition wasn't released before the german edition. The german edition was released at Essen 2013, Oct 24.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Robot74 wrote:
From the Essen 2013 list:
Quote:
Entered the Top 50 on January 22nd
Feb-25 21 1821 8.49 #1 #4
Mar-10 18 1987 8.49 #1 #3
Yep. It wasn't close. 7 Wonders was moderately close. I think it may have been January. If it's happened this fast before, then it was a long time ago...when there just weren't as many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would seriously like to know from those who have been rating this game a "1" ("defies description of a game") on what possible basis could anyone objectively give this game that rating?

Granted, everyone has different tastes in everything, and there are things I enjoy which others despise, and vice versa. Also, while I have not yet played Pandemic Legacy (although it is my hope to do so, should opportunity present itself), to date I have watched more than two dozen videos of others playing (some highlighted play, others full play-throughs). As such, I believe I have (minimally) some idea of how the game plays -- aside from the fact that I own and play regular Pandemic.

That being said, the only reason I could surmise that anyone would vote this game a "1" would be spite -- in an attempt to maliciously tarnish its reputation and/or apparent success.

If anyone can suggest another reason why a gamer would vote in such manner, please enlighten me, as I am baffled by such behavior -- supposedly from adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
Microbadge: The Pogues fanMicrobadge: (59th Rule of Acquisition) "Free advice is seldom cheap" - QuarkMicrobadge: Frank Zappa fanMicrobadge: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!Microbadge: Aldous Huxley fan
mfaulk80 wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Top 1 chance anyone?
Just copy and paste, sir. Copy and paste...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimABassPlayer wrote:
I would seriously like to know from those who have been rating this game a "1" ("defies description of a game") on what possible basis could anyone objectively give this game that rating?

Granted, everyone has different tastes in everything, and there are things I enjoy which others despise, and vice versa. Also, while I have not yet played Pandemic Legacy (although it is my hope to do so, should opportunity present itself), to date I have watched more than two dozen videos of others playing (some highlighted play, others full play-throughs). As such, I believe I have (minimally) some idea of how the game plays -- aside from the fact that I own and play regular Pandemic.

That being said, the only reason I could surmise that anyone would vote this game a "1" would be spite -- in an attempt to maliciously tarnish its reputation and/or apparent success.

If anyone can suggest another reason why a gamer would vote in such manner, please enlighten me, as I am baffled by such behavior -- supposedly from adults.
I agree....but it happens with every popular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I completed the 2017 Alphabet board game challenge!Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: I completed the 100 Games x 1 Challenge - 2019Microbadge: I logged 365 plays in 365 days in 2018!Microbadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
JimABassPlayer wrote:
They maybe hate the game. I hate two games I have played: Cosmic Encouters, and Xia. And that is some peoples favorite games. I have been given those games 1. Also I didn't like Merchants of Venus that some people like. And of course there is people who don't like games I'm into, like 7 Wonders, Power Grid and Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
JimABassPlayer wrote:
They maybe hate the game. I hate two games I have played: Cosmic Encouters, and Xia. And that is some peoples favorite games. I have been given those games 1. Also I didn't like Merchants of Venus that some people like. And of course there is people who don't like games I'm into, like 7 Wonders, Power Grid and Pandemic.
Yeah, some of the votes are going to be legit. I know one of the low rankings definitely is...

Having said that, here are some rankings from people who obviously haven't played the game:
Quote:
I loathe Pandemic, zero interest on coops, campaigns and legacy system: only will play it at gunpoint.
Quote:
Hate Pandemic. Hate pure coops without time limit or other restricting mechanic (though Robinson Crusoe is quite acceptable). Adding Legacy mechanic not going to change that.
Quote:
Why legacy? Restarting the game implies buying it again at store. No way.
Quote:
You know damn well that once you put all those stickers on the game, you'll never play it again. Disposable games? Just say no.
Quote:
Essen! Kickstarter!

both losers
^What does this even mean? (although this person has it marked as "owned" and "preordered", so...even more confusing.

Another is a new user that only has one game ranked. No comments. No other activity other than marking Legacy as "owned" and giving it a 1.

Another new user has no other activity than ranking four games a 9, and eight games a 1 (including Legacy).

Another user rated this as a 1 in August, 2014.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Like I said, this happens with all popular games. It doesn't matter much in the long run....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall from grace quickly either... I finished the game and decided that I would never play this again over Pandemic + Expansions. Once you complete the campaign (which admittedly disappointed me somewhat... especially compared to Risk: Legacy), there's no reason to go back. Long-term, this might cause the rating to suffer, even if it's the current hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
Microbadge: Big Trouble in Little China: The Game fanMicrobadge: Secrets of the Lost Tomb fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Space Cadets: Away Missions fan
The rise of Android: Netrunner is well documented here: Tracking the Rankings. It was fast, less than 2 months from the top 100 to the top 20, but I think PL is faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyfilmfest wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall from grace quickly either... I finished the game and decided that I would never play this again over Pandemic + Expansions. Once you complete the campaign (which admittedly disappointed me somewhat... especially compared to Risk: Legacy), there's no reason to go back. Long-term, this might cause the rating to suffer, even if it's the current hotness.
Meanwhile...I don't see any reason to pull out Pandemic + Expansions. It's just not the same anymore...

(I just bought a 2nd copy of Legacy to play again actually...and I plan on taking some of the great ideas posted here on BGG to keep using our personalized board afterwards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:

Meanwhile...I don't see any reason to pull out Pandemic + Expansions. It's just not the same anymore...
Diff'rent Strokes and all that, but there's definitely more variety between the expansions than there is in the Legacy box... Why would you prefer Legacy besides the element of surprise (which is now gone)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyfilmfest wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Diff'rent Strokes and all that, but there's definitely more variety between the expansions than there is in the Legacy box... Why would you prefer Legacy besides the element of surprise (which is now gone)?
The permanence of every decision as well as the meta-game. I really enjoyed weighing the long term consequences vs the short term goals. Lose a battle, but win the war and all of that. For me, the element of surprise was just a minor part of it all. Also, I enjoy that it's our customized world and characters, and further plays will only solidify the stories that we created. Basically, the permanence and personalization.

To be fair, I haven't touched Pandemic much in the last several years. I haven't even bothered looking into the most recent expansions because I was burnt out on the base game. Somehow, Legacy rekindled that interest. Oh, it also didn't help that Zman changed the art in the new expansions. I was really bummed about the non-compatible redesign (although now Legacy provides me with more compatible components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mfaulk80 wrote:
In the end, it doesn't really matter. Like I said, this happens with all popular games. It doesn't matter much in the long run....
Yes, and it is only 21 that has giving it a 1 rating. So, maybe 10 of those are fake. Maybe half of all 1 ratings on the site are fake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
JimABassPlayer wrote:
I would seriously like to know from those who have been rating this game a "1" ("defies description of a game") on what possible basis could anyone objectively give this game that rating.
It's probably closer to that description than most "1" ratings: people wh genuinely believe that a game should be infinitely replayable by definition, and if it isn't then it's not even a real game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Magno Rosa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
JimABassPlayer wrote:
I would seriously like to know from those who have been rating this game a "1" ("defies description of a game") on what possible basis could anyone objectively give this game that rating.
It's probably closer to that description than most "1" ratings: people wh genuinely believe that a game should be infinitely replayable by definition, and if it isn't then it's not even a real game.
You can play base pandemic on the that board (if you ignore stickers), extra variants can also be made with the hidden components (which I guess will be made when more people start finishing their campaigns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
nyfilmfest wrote:
problem is, if people finish the campaign, they won't go back and play again (for the most part). This likely means the ratings won't fade over time. Depth is such a big component to many games with high ratings. Legacy style games get a free pass in the depth department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I would be quite surprised if it doesn't make it to #1. The average rating is crazy and doesn't seem to be on the decline, while the number of votes increases as a breakneck speed.

Of course, upwards movement could be halted if they haven't printed enough copies to fulfill the demand, but I have no idea whether that is the case or not.

I say that it challenges for #1 as soon as january or february, but I haven't tried doing any actual calculations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |