Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Newman
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GameChat League - Mafia Division: "A mob is forming."Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Pandemic fanMicrobadge: YINSH fan
Re: Fastest top 20 ever?
FWIW, a rough estimate of the ranking algorithm suggests Pandemic Legacy would need around 3000 votes to reach #1 with an average rating of 9. The number rises quickly if the average rating goes down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Space Alert fanMicrobadge: I'm a SeaFall fan!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Well, it hit 20 this morning. The climb has noticeably slowed, though--even a few days ago it was jumping 7 or 10 slots per day. It went up one place from yesterday. Two weeks to top 10?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Newman
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GameChat League - Mafia Division: "A mob is forming."Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Pandemic fanMicrobadge: YINSH fan
It's feasible. Could get there at around 2000 ratings even with a little bit of decay in the average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I completed the 2017 Alphabet board game challenge!Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: I completed the 100 Games x 1 Challenge - 2019Microbadge: I logged 365 plays in 365 days in 2018!Microbadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
ahmorse wrote:
Well, it hit 20 this morning. The climb has noticeably slowed, though--even a few days ago it was jumping 7 or 10 slots per day. It went up one place from yesterday. Two weeks to top 10?
The jump between Keyflower (7.744) and Caylus (7.779) was so big.

Yes in about 10-14 days it can be top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
This thread just makes me want to lower my 9 to an 8. No way is this game Top 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: University of UtahMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG posterMicrobadge: DentistMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World fan
clydeiii wrote:
This thread just makes me want to lower my 9 to an 8. No way is this game Top 20.
I feel the same about several other games in the Top 20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
mfaulk80 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
I feel the same about several other games in the Top 20...
Quite!

I've tended to find the 50-200 range in the BGG rankings contains a lot more things that I enjoy than the highest echelons. With the prospect of a game I really like in the top ten, I'm quite looking forward to being one of the cool kids for a change.

(Argharghargh! Still haven't actually got the group together to play, it though. I'm only assuming I'll really like it. Even now, after all the ratings, might it be too good to be true? /-8 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: Restoration Games fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fan
clivej wrote:
I've tended to find the 50-200 range in the BGG rankings contains a lot more things that I enjoy than the highest echelons.
I'm with you. A lot of the top 20 are games are just boring, either mechanically, or thematically. If I see Uwe Rosenberg's name, I know I'm going to be looking at my watch wondering when the game is going to end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Social GamerMicrobadge: Super Smash Bros. fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fan
Well the average rating is dropping, so maybe the climb will slow down a peg. A little off topic, has anyone actually read the rating of Rob Daviau on this game? Hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
farsidehobbes wrote:
If I see Uwe Rosenberg's name, I know I'm going to be looking at my watch wondering when the game is going to end.
Really? With some of those top-rated games, I'll be looking at my watch wondering when the game is going to begin.

The other week, my table enjoyed two entire games before the table next door had finished the rules explanation for Through The Ages. They claimed that was why they weren't done playing until 2am...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
Microbadge: I'd buy your game if you released it for AndroidMicrobadge: The Taverns of Tiefenthal fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Wingspan fanMicrobadge: Extended Stats user
gamequack wrote:
Well the average rating is dropping, so maybe the climb will slow down a peg. A little off topic, has anyone actually read the rating of Rob Daviau on this game? Hilarious!
Or Matt Leacock's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Up a couple more to 17 now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Microbadge: Fedora Linux userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: The Gaming Gang fanMicrobadge: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start!
clydeiii wrote:
uhh.. yeah, I get mad when my highly rated games get popular
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
monteslu wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
uhh.. yeah, I get mad when my highly rated games get popular
Not mad, but by comparison to my other 9s, Pandemic doesn't hold up. Legacy is amazing but only lasts for 15 or so games. Pandemic is at most a 7...maybe a 6 even. Legacy isn't a 10, but close. So...8?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: I stole cookies from the cookie jarMicrobadge: I give out citizenship stars
clydeiii wrote:

This is a strange reason the rating of ones impression of a game...

As it is now in the Top 20 would that mean to you that you have to lower your rating even further?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
BitJam wrote:
The rise of Android: Netrunner is well documented here: Tracking the Rankings. It was fast, less than 2 months from the top 100 to the top 20, but I think PL is faster.
I'm the one who compiled the numbers linked here. If you're interested in a similar comparison between Android: Netrunner, Terra Mystica, and Caverna -- three recent fast-risers (excluding Star Wars: Imperial Assault) -- check out this specific post within that thread: Re: Tracking the ranking

I've spent quite a long time on BGG and have been very interested in the rankings through all that time. In my experience, this sort of rise is unprecedented in recent years. It is true that games like Agricola, Space Hulk, and Dominion vaulted into the top 10 within the span of just a couple of months ... and, of course, Agricola went all the way to #1. But the month Agricola cracked the top 10 it had less than 1000 votes, and though it's no longer possible to go into the database (or, at least, I no longer know how to do it) and confirm this, I'm fairly sure that it's average rating was only around 8.5, not 9.

Of the games that have entered the top 10 in the last few years -- Eclipse, Mage Knight, Android: Netrunner, Terra Mystica, Caverna, and The Castles of Burgundy -- a couple of those were slow burners. Three of them are tracked in the post I have linked above, and Eclipse is compared in the first page of that same thread. In short, though, Android: Netrunner has been the fastest-rising, best-rated game in at least the last 5 years ... and it has nothing on Pandemic Legacy to this point.

PL currently has 1632 ratings right around 6 weeks after release. At the same point in time, ANR had less than 1000 ratings and Caverna had only about 700. But in addition to that, PL has an average rating of 9.00, whereas at the same amount of ratings, ANR had at 8.57 (though it was also ranked #15) and Caverna was only top 25 with a rating of 8.50. So Pandemic Legacy is not only acquiring ratings at an extremely fast rate, but it's also maintaining a far higher rating than, really, any other game.

These facts make it hard to estimate exactly how high it might go. Not only is it hard to judge the pace and timing of its rating decline, but it's also hard to judge the pace of additional ratings.

All that having been said, obviously it's a lock for top 10, almost certainly for top 5, very likely #2 ... and then we'll have to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Pretty
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: Super Mario fan - Yeah, I have my own warp pipe.Microbadge: Plays Games At LunchMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fan
What everyone isn't talking into consideration is twilight struggle's digital implementation is imminent.

I predict that will ultimately be it's demise from number one because more people will play it and think there is no way this is the best game of all time. Thus more lower ratings will be created which will ultimately bring it down.

So if this can get to number 2, eventually it will likely be number 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Greatway Games podcast fanMicrobadge: Ding & Dent PodcastMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Board Game Blitz fanMicrobadge: Colorblind
MrPretty wrote:
What everyone isn't talking into consideration is twilight struggle's digital implementation is imminent.

I predict that will ultimately be it's demise from number one because more people will play it and think there is no way this is the best game of all time. Thus more lower ratings will be created which will ultimately bring it down.

So if this can get to number 2, eventually it will likely be number 1.
This is a really interesting point - I've said many times that I believe I won't like Twilight Struggle, and am therefore highly unlikely to rate it because I'm not going to bother to play it.

However, if I can pick up an app version for a few bucks, just to see what all the hubbub is about, I might give it a go. And I might rate it more highly than I would the cardboard version, because app versions of games tend to play a lot more quickly than their physical counterparts. There are a lot of interesting confounding factors at work here, and I find them pretty fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Newman
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Current projected number of votes to reach each position in the rankings (assuming same average rating and other algorithm characteristics, and that the other games don't move):

Current: 1680 (8.99 average, 7.893 bgg)
#13 - 1698
#12 - 1731
#11 - 1764
#10 - 1785
#9 - 1840
#8 - 1845
#7 - 1858
#6 - 2030
#5 - 2066
#4 - 2099
#3 - 2139
#2 - 2389
#1 - 2698
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BeardedGameGeek Golden Beard winnerMicrobadge: Con of the North attendeeMicrobadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
mith wrote:
Current projected number of votes to reach each position in the rankings (assuming same average rating and other algorithm characteristics, and that the other games don't move):

Current: 1680 (8.99 average, 7.893 bgg)
#13 - 1698
#12 - 1731
#11 - 1764
#10 - 1785
#9 - 1840
#8 - 1845
#7 - 1858
#6 - 2030
#5 - 2066
#4 - 2099
#3 - 2139
#2 - 2389
#1 - 2698
Pretty solid projection. Currently 1737 reviews and up to #12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Newman
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
New projection!

Current: 1999 (8.97 average, 7.992 bgg)
#6 - 2109
#5 - 2146
#4 - 2185
#3 - 2224
#2 - 2492
#1 - 2817

PL has gained 319 votes in the last week, and lost .02 average. The same changes over the next week would put it virtually even with Caverna for 3rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
A thing I've just realised, which will help both Twilight Struggle and Pandemic Legacy in the ratings, arguably unfairly...

Suppose a lot of people (rightly) feel inhibited about rating a game they've not played.

Also, suppose that people feel they need to have played the entire season to have "played" PL.

Also, suppose people aren't willing to spend hours and hours on something they don't enjoy.

This means, the longer a game is, the greater the proportion of people who complete a play of the game will be people who liked it. That helps both Twilight Struggle (3h) and PL (15h).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
Microbadge: I purchased 1 microbadge in a single day.Microbadge: 2015 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: I support 10x10 games challenge participants
clivej wrote:
Suppose a lot of people (rightly) feel inhibited about rating a game they've not played.

Also, suppose that people feel they need to have played the entire season to have "played" PL.
Somehow I don't think these suppositions are correct.

Just look at how many BGG reviews in general are written after a single play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Varn
msg tools
Microbadge: LurkerMicrobadge: Pandemic fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG - I worship Desna
38 1 ratings, 5 are marked as owned.
14 2 ratings, 2 owned.
11 3 ratings, 0 owned.
13 4 ratings, 2 owned.
13 5 ratings, 2 owned.
31 6 ratings, 8 owned.
7 and up are mostly marked as owned.

Out of 120 ratings below 7, only 19 are marked as owned. An argument could really easily be made against the conclusion I'm drawing, but I think it's still valid. There is a political game being played here. How very meta.

There is this gem of a comment, though:
Quote:
only will play it at gunpoint.
I wonder how that fellow's game nights usually go, if that's a qualifier for play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Mixo wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

This is a strange reason the rating of ones impression of a game...

As it is now in the Top 20 would that mean to you that you have to lower your rating even further?
Absolutely. Everything is relative. The game simply isn't as good as the other ones in the Top 20.

And don't get me wrong. I love Pandemic: Legacy and don't even really like Caverna or Terra Mystica, but they're clearly better games than Pandemic, by far. I don't like them as much, but they're absolutely better.

See the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |