Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During our game last night, I, as the Imperial player, read to the other players the flavor text, which mentions that the Imperials are trying to cut through the doors. I also made sure they were clear on their objective.

The Rebels made their way toward one of the doors and, upon arriving, tried to interact with the door. Nothing happened. The player making the attempt complained that he had just wasted an action because I failed to tell him he would have to destroy the door in order to get through. I countered that I did tell them by reading the flavor text to them. In the end, they grumbled but conceded that they should have listened more closely for clues in the flavor text.

So my question is, do you give your Rebels all information they need or only the things they would know when they enter the area? I contend that they wouldn't know how to open the door, nor would they know how many points the doors have. To me, that's part of the game, they have to work together to figure out how to accomplish the objective, often within time constraints. If I give them everything it's less fun for them and for me and it makes it too easy for them to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You read both the flavor text and the rules section for each event as it happens, including mission briefing.

The rebels should know whether doors are closed or locked. If locked, they will know whether they need to interact with an attribute test, or whether the door has health and can be shot down, or both.

See an example:
Aftermath mission briefing

(No, it won't be easy for rebels to win. Not if you actually play the game as the imperial player instead of making it easy for them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
During our game last night, I, as the Imperial player, read to the other players the flavor text, which mentions that the Imperials are trying to cut through the doors. I also made sure they were clear on their objective.

The Rebels made their way toward one of the doors and, upon arriving, tried to interact with the door. Nothing happened. The player making the attempt complained that he had just wasted an action because I failed to tell him he would have to destroy the door in order to get through. I countered that I did tell them by reading the flavor text to them. In the end, they grumbled but conceded that they should have listened more closely for clues in the flavor text.

So my question is, do you give your Rebels all information they need or only the things they would know when they enter the area? I contend that they wouldn't know how to open the door, nor would they know how many points the doors have. To me, that's part of the game, they have to work together to figure out how to accomplish the objective, often within time constraints. If I give them everything it's less fun for them and for me and it makes it too easy for them to win.

IA is not an RPG and the Imperial Player is not a DM. You give them all the information they are supposed to have, which includes flavor text AND explicit rules, regardless of what you think their characters would know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
There is enough information that is hidden from the Hero players to make it fun for you without having to add to it.

Mission Briefing only gives the Hero what they need to know, in some missions the mission briefing will not even provide the Heroes with what their win condition is until a certain event triggers

As far as doors go, to argue your claim, based on what the mission tells them they need to do to open the door, you can assume that looking at the door will tell them what they need to know to open it.

Interact: Door has a big red button that was "Open"

Tech Test: Door has a panel on the side that can be pried open and hot wired.

Attack: No panel or buttons. Better blow a hole in it.

Flavor Text is just that, added text to get into into the spirit of the game and should hold no real added information.

Now that said, First time we played Ambush,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I told my players that this game has "Hidden information" and the flavor text did mention that there were imperials inside the building and that it was likely an ambush. They didn't pay attention and focused on the troops outside the complex before going in thinking I would have to play catch up as the ransacked the building only to open the door and come face to face with the business end of an eWeb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.