Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Caylus 1303 fanMicrobadge: Heart of CrownMicrobadge: Tyrants of the Underdark fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
One of the cards (the Local Manager, I think) says you can use drive-ins, but I didn't see anything about drive-ins in the book. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive-ins give you a door on each corner of your restaurant instead of just 1.

From the rules on page 11 (top right):

Quote:
Local manager: A local manager may place a new restaurant within
a range of 3 tiles, travelled by road, from one of the chain’s existing
restaurants. Note that as long as the local manager is active, restaurants
of that chain have a drive-in, and are considered to have entrances in
each corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All four spaces of your restaurants are considered being entrances, if drive-ins are available.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
TwentySides wrote:
One of the cards (the Local Manager, I think) says you can use drive-ins, but I didn't see anything about drive-ins in the book. What am I missing?
It's in the rules, but it's a pretty simple concept. If you have the Local or Regional Manager in your structure, all your restaurants can access roads from all four corners rather than only the marked one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mb
You guys were fast! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
rayffis wrote:
You guys were fast! laugh
Spoiler (click to reveal)
TWSS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjaninjaninjaninjaninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Caylus 1303 fanMicrobadge: Heart of CrownMicrobadge: Tyrants of the Underdark fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
That seems like something they could have put on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
I still find this rule confusing. If it always applies when one has a Local or Regional Manager in the structure why isn't it in the main body of the rules? Instead it is tucked away in PLACE OR MOVE RESTAURANTS, which could be interpreted as being the only time that the rule applies. For example in DINNER TIME it states that diners must measure the distance "to the entrance of the restaurant" with no mention of Drive-ins.

Or have I missed it?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: What, me worry?Microbadge: Time travelerMicrobadge: "I'd buy that for a dollar!"Microbadge: Andy Kaufman fanMicrobadge: Film Buff
Carver wrote:
I still find this rule confusing. If it always applies when one has a Local or Regional Manager in the structure why isn't it in the main body of the rules? Instead it is tucked away in PLACE OR MOVE RESTAURANTS, which could be interpreted as being the only time that the rule applies. For example in DINNER TIME it states that diners must measure the distance "to the entrance of the restaurant" with no mention of Drive-ins.

Or have I missed it?!
The rules are written in a way where you kind of have to put two and two together. It doesn't over-explain, it explains just enough to be clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Reduce, Reuse, RecycleMicrobadge: Roads & Boats fanMicrobadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?
alphasixty wrote:
Carver wrote:

Or have I missed it?!
The rules are written in a way where you kind of have to put two and two together. It doesn't over-explain, it explains just enough to be clear.

Splotter rulebooks tend to be unambiguous and exhaustive. I really like them. However, as you mention, they don't hold your hand. They'll state everything you need to know, but they'll probably only state it once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I disagree that only mentioning the existence of a rule in one circumstance when it matters in multiple circumstances is just enough, but that's okay, I sold this years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls