Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone describe the differences between this and the original core set, please? As far as I can tell, the only difference is the new colors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Different ships, the new core ships has "better" ships which cost more points. Of course, they also look different.
2. Different damage deck. The damage deck of the new core is more balanced.
3. Reworded rule book in the new box.
4. I guess the missions are also different, but I haven't looked into them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sets come with identical dice, range rulers, pegs, and bases.

The maneuver templates are mostly identical, but the ones in TFA Core have Segnor's Loop and Talon Roll icons on the bank and turn templates.

The Damage Deck in TFA core is slightly different, designed to result in fewer critical hits that don't affect the recipient.

The TFA Core rulebook is a bit more comprehensive, including rules for components that don't come in the box, but not entirely comprehensive.

Both sets come with different Cinematic Play missions and the accompanying tokens

Both sets have a different selection of upgrade cards

Both sets have different models. The X-Wing is more obviously different, but the TIE is distinguishable if you look closely enough.

Both sets have different pilot cards with different costs and different abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
falafel007 wrote:
This Star Wars franchise seems to have a lot of fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
falafel007 wrote:
This Star Wars franchise seems to have a lot of fans.
Geek stuff. You wouldn't understand. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Allso, the obstacle tokens differ. The asteroids in the FA core set are generaly smaller then the ones in the old core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
If I am to start on x-wing as a casual, which set would u recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on how much you love the original trilogy.

The new core seems to based on some experience with the game and its development, regarding the organization of the rules and the damage deck. I would pick this one, except if you can get an old core for a really good price.

Later, you will probably want another core set for extra dice and templates, then you can buy the one you don't have for more different ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Parkinson
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:

The maneuver templates are mostly identical, but the ones in TFA Core have Segnor's Loop and Talon Roll icons on the bank and turn templates.

The Damage Deck in TFA core is slightly different, designed to result in fewer critical hits that don't affect the recipient.

The TFA Core rulebook is a bit more comprehensive, including rules for components that don't come in the box, but not entirely comprehensive.

Both sets come with different Cinematic Play missions and the accompanying tokens

Both sets have different models. The X-Wing is more obviously different, but the TIE is distinguishable if you look closely enough.

Both sets have different pilot cards with different costs and different abilities.
So I have been a bit out of the game. But with the new movie and getting a playmat my interest is renewed. That said though seeing your post makes me feel like I'm trying to get back into this and everything is different. Does the new core (which I don't own) mean that I would be playing with unbalanced outdated rules? If I buy the new core which rule set do I have to use. What about the damage deck. Is the old cores unbalanced and do I need to get this core to have a balanced deck? Now there are new maneuver templates? This wouldn't work with the old core right because the dials wouldn't have them so it only maters if I get the new ships in this core right? Basically I own the core and wave one and two and three. I want to get back in this but don't want to learn the wrong way or play without a balanced deck.
What do I do?
Is there an updated FAQ rulebook I should be looking at?
Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are still more or less the same. They have incorporated some FAQ and the decloak rules have been nerfed (decloak happens now at the beginning of the activation phase, before any ship moves, and not later when the Phantom moves). They have spelled out the order of the steps within the different turn phases more clearly and more detailed, and with the new order, a stressed Night Beast can perform the free focus action after a green maneuver. I guess most casual players do not even know what the issue was with Night Beast, so this is a totally minor change. So, all in all, the rules are still the same but a bit more complete and with some clarifications.

You should always use the newest rules, of course, and for tournament play you really need to download the latest FAQ and tournament rules to be sure you play all abilities correctly.

The new damage deck has been improved. The old deck had some crits which would only affect certain ships (e. g. losing a secondary weapon makes a HWK useless while a Tie Fighter does not care). I like the new deck much better. However, we have all used the old deck for years and it was good enough, so no, you don't need the new one. (Not sure when it will be mandatory for tournaments, though).

There are not really new maneuver templates. They just printed an additional arrow on the turns and banks.

You can get the FAQ and tournament rules from the FFG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I've played games in WashingtonMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: David A. Trampier fan
HELP: Force Awakens / Original Core Sets?
Saca_Muela wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:

So I have been a bit out of the game. But with the new movie and getting a playmat my interest is renewed. That said though seeing your post makes me feel like I'm trying to get back into this and everything is different. Does the new core (which I don't own) mean that I would be playing with unbalanced outdated rules? If I buy the new core which rule set do I have to use. What about the damage deck. Is the old cores unbalanced and do I need to get this core to have a balanced deck? Now there are new maneuver templates? This wouldn't work with the old core right because the dials wouldn't have them so it only maters if I get the new ships in this core right? Basically I own the core and wave one and two and three. I want to get back in this but don't want to learn the wrong way or play without a balanced deck.
What do I do?
Is there an updated FAQ rulebook I should be looking at?
Thanks for the help.
Further:

Is there any DEFINITIVE, SPECIFIC listing of exactly what components are included in each set?

Having gotten back into the game, I am bewildered by the number of sets out there. A gaming buddy suggested last weekend that we swap 2 of our starter sets [2 of my original Core sets for 2 of his TFA Core sets]. I am trying to puzzle out exactly what we need to swap, as both of us have so much stuff which has already been broken down into types of counters and sorted.

Our thought was to just swap the actual ship figures [4x TIE, 2X X-wings], ship tokens, ship cards and upgrade cards. Then I started looking at the contents, and my revised list[based off of the original Core set], per Core Starter:

-1 rule book [rules changes]
-1 set maneuver templates [new maneuvers on a couple specific ones]
-3 figures [obviously, slight differences]
-8 ship tokens [new designs]
-3 maneuver dials [2-TIE, 1-X wing] (assuming here; new dials?)
-13 ship cards (assuming here; new cards?)
-33 damage cards [damage deck is different]
-5 upgrade cards (assuming here; different cards?)

soblue

Your help is genuinely appreciated - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resource I like to use for package components is here:

Core Set
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Core_Set

The Force Awakens Core Set
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_The_Force_Awak...

Wiki home page:
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wik...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Boothe
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the thread is a tad old, but I was wondering if you can mix the two sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pungent wrote:
I know the thread is a tad old, but I was wondering if you can mix the two sets.
It depends on what you mean.

Can you use the ships from each of the two sets together? Absolutely. The dice are the same. The movement templates in the newer set have a few more icons on them, but they're the same size. The asteroids can be mixed /matched. You can use R2-D2 in a T-70, but you can't move Luke.

The only thing that's unique is the damage deck. You should pick one or the other, and they can't be shuffled together. The backs of the cards are different so if my accident they have been mixed, you can sort them back out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Boothe
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:

It depends on what you mean.

Can you use the ships from each of the two sets together? Absolutely. The dice are the same. The movement templates in the newer set have a few more icons on them, but they're the same size. The asteroids can be mixed /matched. You can use R2-D2 in a T-70, but you can't move Luke.

The only thing that's unique is the damage deck. You should pick one or the other, and they can't be shuffled together. The backs of the cards are different so if my accident they have been mixed, you can sort them back out.
I've played the game a couple times at conventions, but never saw the actual setup, so I'm not sure what's found in each box.

Obviously the base box will have ships and movement tokens, etc. I'm wondering what comes in the expansion boxes besides the ship? If I were to purchase a core set of TFA for my nephew, would there be any problem if his parents then later bought him an expansion ship from the previous set? There are so many ships in the old set, I'm just trying to figure out if this new set is an attempt redo the entire line and wouldn't be compatible (similar to how DnD 5e isn't compatible with 3.5e). His parents are not gamers and I wouldn't want to get something that causes confusion.

It sounds like the ships are useable but I don't know where the damage deck is comprised from. Is that only in the core set or does each expansion add to it? If it's only in the core, then I would understand that I should just pick a core and not worry about which expansions are purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is perfectly compatible, all expansions fit together with both starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Boothe
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the clarifications. Answered what I needed to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls