Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Deuschle
United States
Addison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as first edition Explorers and Pirates. I have never played Catan before. I purchased 5th ed for 15.00. Not sure if I really needed to. I don't see myself ever purchasing other expansions or a 2nd ed E&P. Since I haven'the opened the new one yet I have a couple of questions...

Since the "theme" is changed from early settlers to a medieval one, does this effect E&P play in any way? Does the theme of one base mesh better with E&P than the other?

Does the change in artwork from 1st or 5th base set clash with E&P? From what I can tell from pictures posted here it seems art from 1st ed base set is closer to first edition E&P, with the exception of the water tiles, of course. Opinions?

If I decide to keep both first and fifth ed base sets will the terrain tiles from the first fit in the 5th ed water tile frame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Deuschle
United States
Addison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I couldn't wait and tore into the 5th Ed box....

Am I correct that in order to play Explorers and Pirates AT ALL, I will have to buy a current edition because the first ed tiles are too large to fit the frame of the 5th ed base set?

Or am I so lame I can't fit simple puzzle pieces together?shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Thomasson
United Kingdom
Near Tring
flag msg tools
badge
Good boy, Braetach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first edition Explorers and Pirates was actually part of the Fourth Edition of Catan, as that was the current version when E&P was first released. The tiles for Fourth Edition and Fifth Edition of Catan are the same size, so you should not have a problem fitting the hexes into the frame. The Fourth-Fifth Edition changes were fundamentally branding, with some component upgrades like thicker hexes, but the sizes stayed the same.

With E&P you have some additional frame pieces, and multi-hex components, so I can see why you might think you can't fit them in the Fifth Edition frame.

If you look at the diagram for the first scenario (Land Ho!) of the Game Rules and Scenarios booklet, you will see a note in the bottom left identifying "1 of 6 frame pieces from base Catan". The six original frame pieces are used in that example, together with four additional frame pieces from the E&P set.

You need nothing other than a Fourth/Fifth Edition base game to play E&P. Although I would recommend playing the base game on its own a few times being going exploring with the expansion!

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Deuschle
United States
Addison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That clears things up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.