Mike Youtz
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a continuation of the discussion started in the KSer comments section about the possibility of obtaining the source files for Mech and Action cards so players can make and print their own.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shanenopolis/arsenal-ar......

Since there are planned, official expansions for the game it makes sense that Shane is hesitant to release these although he sees that they "could add a lot of replay value for players, as well as create a test bed for new concepts to be introduced."

So the question becomes: How to protect Shane's IP while still allowing players to customize the game. This is an open discussion for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I offered a service where you supply your own image and concept, and I make the card and ship you like ten of them. I would work with you to try and balance the card effect before printing, but if you supply the artwork, this would be a relatively cheap process. I could maybe charge $10 per card, plus shipping of course.

I had this option as a high reward tier during the campaign, but since I would have had to commission the artwork, the cost was significantly higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Youtz
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I had in mind was a way for us to just make our own cards on the fly. Want to make a Mobile Suit Gundam mech? Cut-n-paste a pic into the template, try some stats, print the card on cardstock, sleeve it and give it a whirl.

From my perspective I would still want to buy official expansions as well, but I don't think I would submit a card for editing. It's not a bad idea, especially if that card ends up in an expansion at some point, but it's not quite what I imagined.

To be honest, if someone had the skills and desire they could probably make a set of templates. I've seen them for Legendary and other card games. I don't think there's any profit being made on custom cards, people just seem to enjoy submitting unique material to the community. I'm sure if you made it clear that you could potentially "steal" their ideas for offical cards, they would be excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with coyotius on this one. Many, many card games have a template on DTC or even just use MSE. I know I've created custom cards for private use for other games and it certainly does not diminish my "need" for officially produced material. Sometimes its nice to have the option available to quickly print a one-off card. I can understand being leery as the creator, but I personally wouldn't sweat it.
Just my 2c

~WCSD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, well you guys certainly have good points. Unfortunately, my files are not terribly user friendly at the moment, so let me clean things up, and I'll create something you can use to make your own cards.

Look for it in the next newsletter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls