Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
They've also released their new Christmas cups... with no mention of Christ ANYWHERE on them!

I'm just not sure how evidence of this caliber can be refuted - the facts are clear to any right-thinking individuals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Amateur AstronomerMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I ride my bike everywhere!
Is it just me, or does the War on Christmas just keep starting earlier and earlier every year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge:  I always lie... and I'm always right!Microbadge: Planet Steam fanMicrobadge: When you listen to Coil, do you think of music?Microbadge: Popular Front fan
Here's to hoping it never ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
BOYCOTT!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, this is my face. Part of it, anyway.
Microbadge: You've been CakedMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ComposerMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
That's nothing! Here in the UK, while shopping for my new puppy, I discovered that the major pet supplies chain "Pets at Home" are anti-Christian, exhorting their most excessively fashionable customers to struggle against His will: "Pets at Home Dog Food" is clearly an anagram of "Death To God, O Me Fops!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I never heard any complaints about the cup, but I've been inundated with backlash against such complaints. There are people who will complain about virtually everything, but this particular example seems like manufactured controversy more than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Starbucks logo is just a fetching anthropomorphized Elder Thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
I never heard any complaints about the cup, but I've been inundated with backlash against such complaints. There are people who will complain about virtually everything, but this particular example seems like manufactured controversy more than anything else.
I've said much the same to my wife - none of the people we know who are usually first on the bandwagon to complain about the war on Christmas have mentioned in-person or on FB... Until I see them reacting, it feels like a manufactured backlash against non-existent complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Microbadge: Classical Music fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Period film fanMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
One of my favorite old Colbert bits (from 2005!): "Burritos Happy Holidays"

"The point is, if it's December, and I'm paying for something, I want every transaction to include some reference to the son of God."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
mutton_chops wrote:
That's nothing! Here in the UK, while shopping for my new puppy, I discovered that the major pet supplies chain "Pets at Home" are anti-Christian, exhorting their most excessively fashionable customers to struggle against His will: "Pets at Home Dog Food" is clearly an anagram of "Death To God, O Me Fops!".
get your pets from an animal shelter geez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, this is my face. Part of it, anyway.
Microbadge: You've been CakedMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: ComposerMicrobadge: 200 yahoo boots f*** yahoo messenger how's want boots
single sentences wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
get your pets from an animal shelter geez
Oh, you can't buy dogs at Pets at Home - we were getting some chew toys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
sorry i misread that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Is it just me, or does the War on Christmas just keep starting earlier and earlier every year?
Remember a war on Christmas is not just for Christmas the outrage is for life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, wait...now Christians are demanding Germanic pagan erect penis metaphors printed on their latte cups?

The world just went cuckoobannanas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fenners wrote:

I've said much the same to my wife - none of the people we know who are usually first on the bandwagon to complain about the war on Christmas have mentioned in-person or on FB... Until I see them reacting, it feels like a manufactured backlash against non-existent complaints.
Whelp, I've found the upset Christian after all.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/donald-trump-floats-b...

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump suggested Monday his supporters should boycott Starbucks, accusing the company of taking Christmas out of their holiday-themed cups.
While Starbucks has featured snowflakes, reindeer, and other seasonal symbols on its cups during the holiday season, this year’s red cup features a minimal design. Some Christians took the design as a sign of political correctness and a so-called war on Christmas.
“No more ‘Merry Christmas’ on Starbucks. No more,” Trump said at an event in Springfield, Illinois on Monday. “I wouldn’t buy.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
fenners wrote:

Whelp, I've found the upset Christian after all.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/donald-trump-floats-b...

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump suggested Monday his supporters should boycott Starbucks, accusing the company of taking Christmas out of their holiday-themed cups.
While Starbucks has featured snowflakes, reindeer, and other seasonal symbols on its cups during the holiday season, this year’s red cup features a minimal design. Some Christians took the design as a sign of political correctness and a so-called war on Christmas.
“No more ‘Merry Christmas’ on Starbucks. No more,” Trump said at an event in Springfield, Illinois on Monday. “I wouldn’t buy.”
The mans a total tit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
So we can blame the right wing blogosphere, Christian shock jocks, and the republican front runner for this fake scandal. No surprise there, they all love fake scandals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
If the link wasn't to that right wing bastion Washington Post, one might be inclined to think it was just another fake Ben Carson-like story.
Apparently it is.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/10/nobody-is-actually-upset...

Quote:
For those of you who are confused, here’s a quick explanation of where things stand. On November 5, Raheem Kassam of Breitbart London wrote a pretty tongue-in-cheek report on the new “This is really not a Christmas cup but sort of vaguely holiday-themed” to-go cup from Starbucks. You can tell it was not the most earnest of jeremiads because of lines such as:

wrote:
And behold, Starbucks did conceive and bear a red cup, and called his name blasphemy.
and

Quote:
Frankly, the only thing that can redeem them from this whitewashing of Christmas is to print Bible verses on their cups next year. Not that I’d buy their burnt coffee anyway. And certainly not while they keep spelling my name ‘Ragih’ (right) on their cups.
I thought it was a totally fine piece that poked fun at the cup for being even more bland than normal, but I noticed that some of the more liberal Christians (names hidden to protect those of us who tweet impulsively) I follow were immediately aghast at this Breitbart piece, on the assumption it was meant to launch a serious War on Christmas battle.

Then some Christian shock jock type ran with it and made a video, and a set of hashtags, and Facebook links to his ad-supported web page. This, I think, is what produced not just the Christian response of “No, really, we don’t care” but the many articles claiming that Christians were freaked out by Starbucks cups. Not sure which response was first, to be honest, or if they all occurred at the same time.
And apparently Trump fell for it, high caliber candidate there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
The media generally is awful and reports in a manner designed to divide not unite.

The story in the OP characterizes (incorrectly) this as something that "Christians" care about - which is technically correct. A tiny number of Christians, but incorrect in a larger manner - most Christians probably do not care about or even remember what the Starbucks cups looked like last year.

From the other side, Fox tries to rally its base to feel "attacked" whenever something doesn't appear to cater to them personally.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/11/09/fox-host-the-war-on...

This kind of "outrage cycle" where the media generally and people individually gin up feelings that others are more upset than they are and more unreasonable than they are about basic ideas is poisons and really bad for a democratic system of government which functions best when we try to arrive carefully reasoned consensus for most social decisions.

For the record, now that I've noticed the difference, I think the new cups look kind of bad. The red and green don't contrast well alone, and I think the "busier" and more "winter gift season" themed cups looked better IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and edlest went to see Trump in Springfield last night.

He had them faoming over a Starbucks boycott...themasses are totally into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
none of them are on Drew's Facebook, so they must not exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
people should be boycotting Starbucks because they serve overpriced, over roasted, underwhelming coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Total nonsense.

She's a Deep One. Here she is, after having taken her crown off and about to have a chamomile tea before retiring:

(From this, one of the better Lovecraft movies.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
people should be boycotting Starbucks because they serve overpriced, over roasted, underwhelming coffee.
That I can agree with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |