Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems from a lot of discussion that ghosts are a pretty controversial faction. They are fairly low in the tier listing but relatively highly regarded in discussion.

1. What is your favorite Ghost minion?
2. What is your favorite Ghost action?
3. What factions do you like to pair Ghosts with?
4. What are your thoughts on the Ghost bases (Dread Gazebo, Haunted House)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathon Stanford-Carey
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ghosts are my favorite faction, and it maybe because they seem so difficult and are so controversial.

1) Haunting, the +3 power up is great when paired with everything else played to get your hand down to two cards.
2) Ghostly Arrival. Because it's an awesome action.
3) I try to pair Ghosts with everything just to see what works. I have found that I seem most fearsome with Ghost Steampunk. I think Ghost Mad Scientists can be extremely strong just on Igors alone.
4) I'm indifferent about the Ghost bases, I find they often get avoided when out on the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I only played ghosts once, but wouldn't their ideal partner be zombies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Spirit - it allows the best plays of the deck.
2 - Ghostly Arrival is really too awesome to pass up
3 - I'm not decided atm. Zombie is simple and effective but ghosts tend to stand out in the front of other factions. Pirates is probably quite fun.
4 - Haunted House could have a lower breakpoint, it's too aversive for non ghost/zombies, The Dread Gazebo is cool.

GrandMasterFox wrote:
I only played ghosts once, but wouldn't their ideal partner be zombies?
Yes, they are quite effective together.

But they also work with faction that draw well (wizards)
Have cards in totally different power tier (example fairies minions are much better than their own action cards)
Can play multiple cards consistently (robots)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
1. Spirit - I like red in Magic, so "direct damage" of this nature is always fun, and the discarding removes the frustration of hand build-up.

2. Incorporeal - But only because Shady Deal is too hard to pull off.

3. Haven't had success with them, but I'm eager to try them out with Mages, which is also built around discard.

4. Gazebo: Not a fan, as it doesn't really present a challenge, just a restriction. Haunted House: Now *that* is a challenge - me like. See also: Mountains of Madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Spirit is probably the most important Ghost minion.
2. Ghostly Arrival, for its sheer versatility. But Door to the Beyond is also a gamewinner.
3. Zombie/Ghost is classic, but I don't think it's even the greatest. I really like Ghost/Time Traveler. Being able to replay actions again and again is such a coup.
4. No one really goes for ghost bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) Spirit
2) Ghostly Arrival - I mean, it's a non-terminal Summon. That's like a non-terminal Smithy in Dominion.
3) I like Ghost Shapeshifters, but Ghost Wizards and Ghost Mages have better synergy. I also need to give the Ghost Robots a try sometime. I tried Ghost Zombies for a few games and they seemed no better than Random Other Bad Faction / Zombies.
4) Dread Gazebo hurts Steampunks (obviously) and occasionally makes Cthulhu want to flip the table in a 2-player game they had a hard lock on. Haunted House often becomes worth playing at midway through a 4-player game if everyone's hands aren't empty. 9 VP for 18 power is a darn good deal for the three players who get it, but the cards they discard need to be bad enough to make this worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor risma
Canada
flag msg tools
1: Haunting: A strong minion that can allow you to have constant value. Not overly gimmicky butcan easily benefit from playing the gimmick well. Great Card.
2: Ghostly Arrival: The most important piece ghost players need is ways to play extra cards to reduce their hands. I think this card is necessary for the ghost play style. Also the ability of choice is extremely powerful in a card game.
3: I will go by expansion:
Base- Zombies: whats to say, this deck combo allows you to have board dominance while playing into your gimmick.
9000- Ghosts: yeah I say its best to pair it with itself.
Cthulhu: Elder things: Allos you more action plays and can slow down control options opponents may use by flooding them with madness.
Sci-fi: Cyber-Apes: Use the your baboom wisely and they can really mill your hand.
Monster mash: Tie werewolves/mad scientists: Mad scientists allow them to burn their hand quickly while werewolves will allow you to have a board presence.
Geeks: Its ok, but nothing that stands out. Will admit though that the counter affects will be interesting.
Pretty Pretty: Mythic horses: great choice for a a power variant and again it allows to burn your hand while having good utility.
Munchkin: Mages: What can I say, these two just have synergism.
Its all your fault: Either sharks or superheroes: STILL NOT ENOUGH TESTING. BASING ON SEMI-SYNERGIES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor risma
Canada
flag msg tools
4: Therye really hard to score when your not playing ghost. Either way, they're very strategic bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
I love the ghosts. They're a lot of fun to play.

1. Spirit. It is by far the best way to get your hand to the size you want.
2. Ghostly arrival or door to the beyond. Incorporeal is good too. And shady deal
3. My brother loves playing them with zombies, I like them and ghost wizards. Also ghost pirates just for the theme combination.
4. I still don't like the fact that dead gazebo belong to a faction that has an action you play on a base. As for haunted house, it's awesome for the ghosts but enough of a deterrent that basically no one else plays on it unless it's about to break (except if they can play from the discard).

Overall I think it's a great faction, love the haunted mansion style art too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls