Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I managed to get a mint condition copy of the 2nd edition of TNW as well as the deluxe map. My fiancee and I got together with another couple and managed to play about two turns before we had to stop.

I had the most familiarity with the rules from reading on my own, so I let everyone pick their faction and I would take the scraps. Amusingly they left me with France.

Since we only got to play two turns nothing TOO crazy happened. Probably follows the initial turns that others would experience. I pushed into Austria with my army groups nearby and took Lisbon with Spanish forces in turn 1. By keeping Napoleon in Artois I effectively scared the British into inactivity, at least in terms of amphibious invasions. Britain did manage to force French and Spanish ships to port, which meant a landing in England wasn't likely anytime soon.

Prussia remained neutral for the duration, but towards the end of the first turn Britain pact allied Sweden. I managed to keep Austria and Russia pinned, though Russia wasn't spending enough CPs on moving her other army groups into the war. Kutuzov was in action but ultimately the Russian help wasn't enough. I had Vienna flagged by end of turn, but due to late counterattacks I lost some of the Austrian keys. The conquer roll failed and we moved into turn 2.

During the reinforcement phase I built up some forces in France to replace Napoleon as the 'coast-guard' and moved Napoleon into the Venetian theater to support the eastern war effort. During turn two I pact allied Denmark to counter Sweden, while Russia pact allied the Turks. Unfortunately for the coalition, Turkish forces couldn't be brought to bear in time to stop the French advance.

Gibraltar fell to Spanish forces after a few siege attempts. Major Austrian keys were flagged and a number of Austrian units were destroyed. Kutuzov himself was routed and annihilated. By the end of the turn I had a major advantage on my conquer roll and only needed to roll a 2. I fortunately did just that and secured 6 duchies from Austria.

They ended up being all contiguous since the Austrian player didn't care what was given up. It seems a bit odd to me that the rules can make it so you can get duchies handed over that are far from your own borders but it didn't impact us this game. We might houserule that ceded duchies must be contiguous and be the duchies closest to the conqueror's home duchies, but I don't know the impacts of such a rule yet.

When we realized what time it was and how long it would take for us to drive home we decided to stop there. Everyone had 1 resource, I had two pact allies, Russia had one, and Britain had one. France was the only power with a net positive key rating (besides Spain). Austria was a subject neutral.

Had the game gone on I would have spent turn 3 invading Russia, most likely. I do get the feeling that the British player was wising up and realized he would need to start hitting me hard. The game would have likely shifted out of my favor at some point. I'd likely have tried pact allying Prussia to give support in the West, though I'd also have to worry about the Turks.

Overall, we had a great time and everyone is looking forward to playing again. My previous CDGs up to this point have been Twilight Struggle and Washington's War. So far I think this was my favorite, but it had a lot do with the fact it supports more players as the other two are only 2-player games. I'm really glad I managed to snag a mint-copy and I hope maybe someday TNW gets back on the P500 list. In the mean time, there is a P500 entry for 'Frederick's Gamble: The Seven Years War' which I understand uses almost all of TNW's rules with some modifications for the time period. I have pre-ordered and implore others to do the same. It is currently sitting at 302 pre-orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
Microbadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Evolution of a GeekMicrobadge: Game Elitist
This game has a great legacy--it was the last hurrah from Don Greenwood and the Avalon Hill guys who brought us so many great games over the years. Avalon Hill was sold before the game could be published, so GMT inherited it. I own two copies of the game--and the big map, but have never actually played it FtF--just fiddled with it solo, etc. Your post has inspired me to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear my report was inspirational! I really do think TNW is a great game and such a shame it is out of print but lucky you for having two copies!

I haven't tried the game with less than or more than 4 people so it will be interesting to try that situation out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report, but I have a serious query:

Quote:
Gibraltar fell to Spanish forces after a few siege attempts.
Really? Are you sure you played the siege rolls correctly here? I've never been able to subdue Gibraltar with anything less than Soult or Napoleon himself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the late reply. I am pretty sure we played it right. If I remember correctly I rolled extraordinarily well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls