Hide
14 Posts

Risk: Game of Thrones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Concerns about Special Units, possible unbalance of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Duarte
msg tools
OK I have some concerns about special units in domination mode. I will really appreciate some comments and help to decide the correct or at least more logical way of using these.

1- My first concern its about if it should be allowed to manuever the knight and siege weapon units. Since its specified in the rules that these units have to go forward with the attacking troops I think it will be really unbalance if I just cant use the knight or siege bonus to do some serious damage in one front of battle and then just move them to the other side of Westeros to join another large army and get ready to do it again next turn. I think these units propose its to provide a good offensive yet berserker and straight forward (thus vulnerable to counter attacks)

2- The other thing its a lot more simple its if knight and siege bonus apply when u are defending. I think it does but still if someone thinks different please share and explain.

3- Most concerning in my opinion: How many special unit can u deploy in one turn? I think its a big deal because if u can deploy more than one it will give u the option of placing (ex) 2 knight in a single turn giving you a + 2 attack without risking to lose a knight placed in the previous turn. Also Cercei Lannister. Cercei allows you to draw an extra special unit card per turn provided that you conquer at least 3 territories(an extremely do able thing to do in my opinion ) , these will allow Cercei's user to use double the special unit than the other player IF its allowed to deploy more than one per turn. I tried and its a huge advantage(this may be useful to know Cercei's activation cost is 300). So what do you guy think?

4- Last of all the tower special units say +1 defense instead of the all die turns D8 listed in the rules. I dont know what you guys think about these incongruence but I think we should favor the +1 defense choice , since its the opposite to the knight's offensive power and have much more sense for a defense unit that rolling a D8.

Thanks to all of you who read until the end and actually commented something. Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: The Hobbit is the best thing Tolkien ever wrote!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: The Battle of Five Armies fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
1-Look here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20210609#20210609

2-I haven't seen any restrictions on using Knight or Siege Engines when defending.

3-The bonuses stack, per USAopoloy: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20321176#20321176

4-Answered here: Fortifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Duarte
msg tools
Thanks for replying Raf, I saw your links specially 1 and 3.

Sorry but on the 1 link that guy just said "that how we do it" and its really not convincing, I still think its overpower to be able to manuever my special units to safety to avoid retaliation. What do u think?

On point 3 that guy asked "how many I can deploy" ,but the reply was: there no limit on the amount of special units token , that means I can have 3 knight in the same place and get a +3 attack bonus, thats great! BUT can I exchange 2 or more territories cards for tokens and place them on the same turn??? Thats what I need to know.

Im totally on board with the asnwers to points 2 and 4. Thanks for u time,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: The Hobbit is the best thing Tolkien ever wrote!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: The Battle of Five Armies fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
#1- You could house rule no maneuvers for special units. I reread the rules and they do not explicitly state that special units can or cannot be moved as part of one's maneuver.

#3- I'm pretty sure the rules make it clear you may only turn in one territory card for a special unit at the beginning of your turn, so adding special units is a gradual process. Edit: Dominion Reinforce step 5: "You may also turn in a single Territory Card to collect a Special Unit piece..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Duarte
msg tools
Wow thanks a lot faramir u are totally right about #3 , Im also thinking about talk with my friends and allow special units maneuver. I think that will validate characters like Jon and improve their practical use.

We did have a recurrent question, I know you can maneuver troops across the Narrow Sea to and from Westeros and The Free Cities but can you do the same between ports that are in the same coastline? Ex: the wolfswood and Casterly Rock (West Coast) or Dragon Stone and Sunspear (East Coast)????

Thanks again Raf you've been really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Near_DeathXP wrote:
We did have a recurrent question, I know you can maneuver troops across the Narrow Sea to and from Westeros and The Free Cities but can you do the same between ports that are in the same coastline? Ex: the wolfswood and Casterly Rock (West Coast) or Dragon Stone and Sunspear (East Coast)????
Yes. Page 8, Territories with a Port: "Any territory with a Port is considered connected to all other territories with a Port on the same coastline (they will all have the same color Port icon)." And page 9, Skirmish Maneuver: "...move [your armies] to one other connected territory."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Duarte
msg tools
thanks man, Im all out of questions. Well just out of curiosity do u have a favorite house in the game? Any particular reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
I've played Dominion twice - first as Baratheon, last night as Stark. Definitely prefer Stark. House Lannister looks like it has good abilities too. I'm hoping to get in a 6 or 7 player game in this weekend and maybe even have Martel in play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it language dependent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bassett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi there,

1) It is perfectly legitimate to bolster your other armies with special units via manouvering just as it is in other Risk variants eg. 'leaders' in LOTR Risk. Thematically, if 10 tropps can redeploy over large distances why can't knights?... I get that seige machines are a bit more of a stretch but it works on the same principle rules-wise and seeing as it doesn't stipluate that you can't in the rules (as it does for fortifications/castles) we have to take it that you can. No reason why we can't introduce house rules to change it but I prefer to keep to the rules for as long as poss unless a repeated pattern of glaringly obvious imbalance becomes obvious.

2) Knights = 'add one to the highest attack dice' so not an applicable bonus for defense dice (this is stated on the chips no?...)
Seige machines go in both directions as nowhere in the rules does it stipulate otherwise.

3) We had the same question of 'how many 'special units' can be deployed per turn?...'
After a re-read of the rules i spotted it does actually state that you can trade in ONE territory card for a special unit (whether on its own or in addition to a set trade in) during the reinforcement phase. I beleive this is in the skirmish rules section (which are still applicable to dominion/world at war mode) which is why you may have missed it when you looked for it.

Finally - re 1), to go back to a point someone made on one of the links, to 'hide' your special units by manouvering them to safety behind your boarders is not necessarily advantagous or wise. As there is no 're-manouver' at the start of a player's turn, any such 'hidden' special unit will not be useful in an attacking sense on that player's next go as they would not be next to any enemies upon which they could utilise their 'special' advantages (and obviously cannot use their bounses on friendly troops). The exception to this is of course if the enemy conquers territories up to the point where the special unit in question was manouvered back to in the following turns without actually taking the territory containing the 'hidden' special unit. At first glance this may seem a little suicidal on the new attackers part but it really is a valid tactic as (owing to the knights lack of defensive bonus) taking advantage of this and trying to remove oponent's special units from the game by destroying it whilst it was vulnerable is a viable move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
msg tools
SKIRMISH MANEUVER

PAG.9 : Once you have decided that you are done attacking you make one maneuver to reinforce a key strategic position. To make a moneuver, take as many armies as you like ...

Rules say as many armies

-----------------------------------
DOMINION MANEUVER

PAG 14 : Just as in Skirmish, once you are done attacking ...

Rules say as Skirmish
SPECIAL UNITS

PAG 13 : These are three types of Special Units ... ... ... Special Units grant combat bonuses for the armies they accompany when engaged in battle, but do not count as armies on their own ... ... ...

Rules say do not count as armies

End of all .... for me Special Unites aren't armies ( as rules said ) so THEY CAN'T MOVE as maneuver in dominion phase 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
msg tools
jb1000000 wrote:

2) Knights = 'add one to the highest attack dice' so not an applicable bonus for defense dice (this is stated on the chips no?...)
Seige machines go in both directions as nowhere in the rules does it stipulate otherwise.
Sorry I don't understand

In the Knight's unit say : + 1 to highest die

So I can use in Attack and defense ... not only attack. Right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
msg tools
neurox wrote:
jb1000000 wrote:

Sorry I don't understand

In the Knight's unit say : + 1 to highest die

So I can use in Attack and defense ... not only attack. Right ?
I ask to Usaopoly

this is the answer :
3) Knight ( special units ) add +1 in offense and defense or only in attack ?

Attack and Defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
msg tools
neurox wrote:
SKIRMISH MANEUVER

PAG.9 : Once you have decided that you are done attacking you make one maneuver to reinforce a key strategic position. To make a moneuver, take as many armies as you like ...

Rules say as many armies

DOMINION MANEUVER

PAG 14 : Just as in Skirmish, once you are done attacking ...

Rules say as Skirmish
SPECIAL UNITS

PAG 13 : These are three types of Special Units ... ... ... Special Units grant combat bonuses for the armies they accompany when engaged in battle, but do not count as armies on their own ... ... ...

Rules say do not count as armies

End of all .... for me Special Unites aren't armies ( as rules said ) so THEY CAN'T MOVE as maneuver in dominion phase 5

I ask too Usaopoly again
The answer is :

4) Special units ( knight & Siege Engine - ok no fortification ) can move in Maneuver phase with armies that I can move from/to a territory ?

Yes.

So they can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls