Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nolte
United States
La Habra Heights
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To start: I love this game. Do not want to give an impression to the contrary. That said, I felt there was a missed opportunity in the art design of the game.

The pre-game story arc is you and a few straggling survivors from your tribe make the Trip of Ages to escape the barbarians who ransacked your home. There are clearly fantastic elements in this world; certain of the villagers you can recruit include fish-, lizard-, frog- and pig-people. But a good chunk of the people you can recruit look like they are your old neighbors. A missed opportunity, and a minor thematic miss.

That is certainly feasible, I get it (other villagers who also got displaced by barbarians). I personally feel it would have been so much more fitting with the story (and more awesome) if you have traveled so far that it is now the humans who are the strangers in a strange land. Where most of the new villagers you recruit are animal people. Maybe there is the occasional human refugee, or people who look like they are extremely well-traveled (which is also in the game). But mostly animal people. How much more could you do with that? Elephants, bovine, avian... For me, the fantastic is what makes this game... fantastic.

Either way, Mr. Laukat, I love your games, and I especially love your art style. I am always excited to see your newest designs pop up on KS. Keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remora824 wrote:
To start: I love this game. Do not want to give an impression to the contrary. That said, I felt there was a missed opportunity in the art design of the game.

The pre-game story arc is you and a few straggling survivors from your tribe make the Trip of Ages to escape the barbarians who ransacked your home. There are clearly fantastic elements in this world; certain of the villagers you can recruit include fish-, lizard-, frog- and pig-people. But a good chunk of the people you can recruit look like they are your old neighbors. A missed opportunity, and a minor thematic miss.

That is certainly feasible, I get it (other villagers who also got displaced by barbarians). I personally feel it would have been so much more fitting with the story (and more awesome) if you have traveled so far that it is now the humans who are the strangers in a strange land. Where most of the new villagers you recruit are animal people. Maybe there is the occasional human refugee, or people who look like they are extremely well-traveled (which is also in the game). But mostly animal people. How much more could you do with that? Elephants, bovine, avian... For me, the fantastic is what makes this game... fantastic.

Either way, Mr. Laukat, I love your games, and I especially love your art style. I am always excited to see your newest designs pop up on KS. Keep them coming!
I think it makes a lot of sense that there a lot of other humans in the world and that the other races are maybe not as frequent in the human villages (Look at something like Star Trek for example)

I like the fact that these strange races are a little harder to come by, it makes everyone look when they do come off that pile of villagers at the beginning of each round.

I like the current balance of races and I am glad it wasnt over done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: NMBR 9 fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: University of MichiganMicrobadge: Concept Fan
I certainly would have preferred a more diverse cast of villagers but I understand. I'm sure the unique characters take much longer for Ryan to design and illustrate. The KS villagers are definitely the stand outs.

I'm hoping Red Raven will do an expansion for the game that includes exploring upwards into the sky/cloud/mountains including a bunch of new stories, a new air outpost deck and a bunch of new villagers that are based around all the different bird species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nolte
United States
La Habra Heights
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reckoner wrote:
I think it makes a lot of sense that there a lot of other humans in the world and that the other races are maybe not as frequent in the human villages (Look at something like Star Trek for example)
Eh, I think that would make sense if you were still in human lands. The story arc (at least in my mind's eye) would put you some place other than human lands. *shrug* Opinions differ.

Star Trek nerd moment (I apologize): I thought Star Trek focused more on Federation (human) territory for practical, budgetary reasons. If nothing else, prosthetic makeup for non-humans is more expensive than humans. In DS9, they were not in Federation space and not on a Federation vessel, and there were a TON of non-humans.

Jimmydm90 wrote:
I'm sure the unique characters take much longer for Ryan to design and illustrate.
I... guess? I am certainly not an artist, but I can't imagine it would be any less complicated to do humans than non-humans. I guess you could reference pictures of people for humans villagers where you couldn't do that for non-humans.

Jimmydm90 wrote:
I'm hoping Red Raven will do an expansion for the game that includes exploring upwards into the sky/cloud/mountains including a bunch of new stories, a new air outpost deck and a bunch of new villagers that are based around all the different bird species.
Yes, please! In general, more of this game, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: NMBR 9 fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: University of MichiganMicrobadge: Concept Fan
Well the reason I think it's easier for him to do the humans is because he doesn't have to start completely from scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the assets were reused from villager to villager like the buildings are.

Like these guys.

I think my biggest complaint would be that the starting villagers are kind of the most same-y and those are the villagers you'll be seeing the most often so it's not all that exciting. I think human or humanish villagers can be great as long as they've got personality. For example, I love eye patch guy and all of the more exotic looking villagers with hoods and scarves.

Still I'd prefer to have more creatures too. I'd be up for multiple creatures from the same race. 4 pig people, 3 toad townsfolk, etc. As long as their art is a little unique for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Well the reason I think it's easier for him to do the humans is because he doesn't have to start completely from scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the assets were reused from villager to villager like the buildings are.

Like these guys.

I think my biggest complaint would be that the starting villagers are kind of the most same-y and those are the villagers you'll be seeing the most often so it's not all that exciting. I think human or humanish villagers can be great as long as they've got personality. For example, I love eye patch guy and all of the more exotic looking villagers with hoods and scarves.

Still I'd prefer to have more creatures too. I'd be up for multiple creatures from the same race. 4 pig people, 3 toad townsfolk, etc. As long as their art is a little unique for each.
Those are all just the same dude but wearing a disguise so he can get more food on food ration day!

I think its funny that it has gotten to the point in the industry we can bring up stuff like this. Back in the day you would have had a silhouette of a "worker" and it would have just been pasted on each token. cry

I think that the art is great no matter how small the variation each person is at least slightly different and for the most part its more than slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nolte
United States
La Habra Heights
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reckoner wrote:
Those are all just the same dude but wearing a disguise so he can get more food on food ration day!
Lol. Three different toupees? Now that dedication: give him the extra ration, he's earned it!

reckoner wrote:
I think its funny that it has gotten to the point in the industry we can bring up stuff like this. Back in the day you would have had a silhouette of a "worker" and it would have just been pasted on each token.
That is certainly true. I think that's a good thing though; a sign of how much games design has come along. And of how compelling A&B it. This is the best thing I can conjure to criticize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
I'm hoping Ryan makes a crossover for this and Islebound. I've tried to convince him of the overlap and how you'd do it...
I'm not sure he's convinced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls