Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've decided to help a single mom out with Christmas this year and along with the suggested things the mom gave us I'd like to get a family game for them. The family consists of the mother, a 9 yr old, two 7 yr olds and a baby. I've come up with some guidelines below and a list of possibilities, but maybe someone has some other suggestions?

Thanks in advanced.

Criteria
1. Must be inexpensive: this is an extra thing that we're getting them on that wasn't suggested, so I'd say a $20-ish max.

2. Age and Theme appropriate: I don't know this family, or their values so perhaps some themes might not fly. For example, pointing foam guns at each others heads might be inappropriate for them.

3. Player count: I'm thinking a game that either the kids can play by themselves to keep them occupied, but also something the family can do together (2-4 players).

4. Easy to Learn: Again, I don't know the family and their boardgaming background so I'm assuming they have none.

These aren't necessarily hard rules, but something to consider.

My List
1. No Thanks!
2. Sushi Go! - I've personally never played it, but it fits the bill and I hear its a good game.
3. Forbidden Island - I'm breaking my own rule with the age recommendation here, but it might be something they can grow into and offers a sense of a 'bigger' game that can be played over and over.
4. Machi Koro - again, starting to go over that $20, but it's a possibility.

Again, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Sliders came to mind, definitely something they could set up and have fun with by themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Poo: The Card Game. Played this last year with a friend and his 2 kids who were around the same age. Everyone had a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot it!
King of Tokyo (a deal or used copy should be cheap enough)
Gloom (if there the type to like dark humor)
Nile DeLuxor

how about pnp games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
3. Forbidden Island - I'm breaking my own rule with the age recommendation here, but it might be something they can grow into and offers a sense of a 'bigger' game that can be played over and over.
4. Machi Koro - again, starting to go over that $20, but it's a possibility.

you got it right.
/case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Archaeology: The Card Game

If you can stretch it to $25:

Carcassonne
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Ingenious

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Sushi Go sounds like a great choice. The art is appealing to kids and the rules are accessible. The kids should actually be able to play on their own.

Forbidden Island is a great game, but considering the mom will have to learn it herself while teaching 3 kids, I think it would be too complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.