Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Harder on the defender? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sikko Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Let the Wookiee win.
So my girlfriend and I picked up a copy of this game at Essen. Got it explained and signed by the wonderful mr. Trzewiczek and we've been having a lot of fun with it!

Over the course of four games though, we have yet to see the defender win. The invader has always managed to break a wall by turn five. Are we missing something or does this match your experience? If not, do you have any advice for keeping the nasties out of the castle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same experience. Invader wins 7 out of 8 games so far.

Will be very interested to hear other gamers' experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dawnmage
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had 1 game. (Soon im going to do the next)
I won as defender. I forced the atacker to take sertan routes and atack at a sertan point were i had more/strong units. Also his favorit actions were sabotaged making him skip them a gew times or gaining me more time.
Ill post a quick rundown of that game when i am able.

But i saw and a lot of games played becaus i helped demo it at essen, discused with my felow demoers and even asked the desinger about unclear rules.

The one rule that is most unclear is movement in the stronghold and swaping places. Or at least it can be taken a few difrent ways.

Edit: A revised set of rules will be made

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The defender has to play much more strategically than the invader.

It's not just defending against the invader's attacks, but actively restraining him round by round so you can drive his units to where your defensive units are.

For example, you can force him to move the goblins to a wall that you have fortified against goblins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dawnmage
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:
The defender has to play much more strategically than the invader.

It's not just defending against the invader's attacks, but actively restraining him round by round so you can drive his units to where your defensive units are.

For example, you can force him to move the goblins to a wall that you have fortified against goblins.
I agree.
The defender is harder but thats becaus the defender has to give the correct responce to the atack.

The atacker has freedom, the defender has to limit that freedom and give the correct responce.

but still a defender guide would be of some help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
There will be no explanation.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah!

I wondered if they would buff the invader so much that the defender is now always the losing side. Very very unfortunate, if so.

Would love to hear more opinions from people that have it,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It stands to reason that the first plays of new players are going to favor the attacker if the game is balanced, because attacking effectively in one place is harder than preventing every opportunity as the defender. I wouldn't read much into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think I wrote exactly what I meant. It's harder to be on defense because you have to, essentially, analyze every possible line of attack for your opponent, and be equally strong against all of them. The attacker only has to pursue a single line of attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some day I'll try attacking to a single wall section, with the defender fortifying only that specific wall section.
I hope to find out how the game is balanced in brute force attack/defence conditions.

I don't like a game that even my grandmother can win *easily*, without using mind and tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dawnmage
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taking advantage of the map here(scrol down for improved map): [url]https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462965/adjacency-movement-...
[/url]

i would as a attacker do a full scale atack on wall W6 doe a ballista on R4 and a catapult on R5.

defender is low on units at that wall and has no cauldron there. but i as attacker cant place that manny units as wel so i would plan out my attack and try to attack with a full department of trolls (strengt 3).

in the meen time decreasing units/walls that are built there.

to stop this the defender has to early on place traps between F2 and R4 and F2 and R5. especialy play the spy on the mantelet or anny other thing that negates ranged atack this wil make the atacker think 2 times before using that action.

example i placed a Spy on the saboteur as soon as it apaired. this lead the atacker to not use it at all. the saboteur can realy be anoying, as the defender is already low on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dawnmage
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i tryed this. but the defender corecly antisipated my plan and defendid. altough i have to say it was a close one.

still in more of the games i playe the defender won the game. it was the same person, mabee he antisipates the attacker correctly and i do it wrong?
wel you learn about a game trough play/discusion. so ill get to it and play it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls