Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know we don't have a series or movie (and probably none on the horizon) but there are some obvious possibilities. STO would have us believe it is the Odyssey class. Some like the idea of the Intimidator class, or maybe the Enterprise E made into an Intimidator. I've seen some other artist renderings.

Maybe we don't know what it will look like, but from a STAW standpoint, how would you spec out the successor to the Sovereign Enterprise E? What stat line, what perk, what new upgraded capabilities?

It's tempting to introduce a 6 weapon but maybe that's bad for the game considering the Fed's access to superb quality. Ablative armor (or a better generator) and/or slipstream drive and/or transphasic torpedoes seem possible. Not that the existing upgrades are all that impressive.

So what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Until i see somethign else on screen, for me the F is the Odyssey.

the "Intimidator class" is a abomination born out of the idea that sticking a 3rd nacelle on something makes it better. Seriously all good things has a lot to answer for that.

Personally, based on the Oddy, i would think 4-1-5-5 with the ability to launch a secondary craft. Wizkids are never going to create anything that awesome (see the poor multi-vector mode). I basically want Saucer sep, but this is a wish fulfillment thread so dag-nammit that's what I want, and a proper model to shot it too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope that it looks nothing like that abomination Enterprise-J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the All Good Things Enterprise D (The Galaxy Refit or Galaxy X) is a tribute to the Federation class starship from the Star Fleet Technical Manual. This was the Dreadnought class and was very popular in Star Fleet Battles. It also appeared in outline on the monitors of the Movie era Star Trek movies.

Gene Roddenberry was reportedly against single and tri-nacelle ships. I always loved them. We can say pretty surely that the idea of a 3 nacelle ship is canon to the show, but we don't really know why.

What DO we know about the Galaxy X?
1. It was faster, though it's unclear since Warp 15 is meaningless in a universe where Warp 10 is infinitely fast (which means they changed the scale). The previous RPGs claimed TOS Warp X was X^3 where in Next Gen it was X^5.
2. It had a cloaking device
3. It had a "phaser lance" which ran the length of the dish which put out a massive powerful phaser (or something like it).

The Enterprise J's only real problem is that the design looks to have pretty fragile engine struts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
There is the new series announced, but no detail I'm aware of yet.

I am not familiar with the Enterprise-J in STO. Haven't play it enough to see that ship anywhere.

Nonetheless, the class name alone (intimidator) is absolutely wrong for the Enterprise. Odyssey class, on the the other hand, fits just fine. The previous classes were Constitution, Excelsior, Ambassador, Galaxy, Sovereign. None of those sound like a decepticon. They all imply something positive, optimisitic, or based around governance.

Anyway, given the limits of stats in STAW, it would have a 90 front, 90 rear, a sovereign's dial with red hard turns, and a Statline of 5/1/5/6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Odyssey Class from Star Trek online, it takes the Sovereign class to that next level without going too crazy.

As for its stats I would say a simple extra hull and shield with an extra crew slot over the Enterprise E would be the way to go since having a base attack of 6 might be crossing a dangerous line for a Federation ship.

As for the named ability? I would like to see something along the lines of....

Action - You may perform an action on any upgrade you have equipped twice then place 3 time tokens on that card; if you were supposed to disable or discard that card after performing its action instead add one additional time token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Odyssey class just fine (and the Aventine too) but All Good Things established a precedent of upgrading an existing Enterprise with another nacelle (see my other thread on what the heck that might do) so the Intimidator doesn't seem a bad choice either. BUT it's more likely as an upgraded Enterprise E than a new Enterprise F.

Besides I don't have a good Odyssey from Shapeways yet but I do have a dynamite Intimidator I haven't even spec'd yet. I have 3 and 4 nacelle versions of the Consitution (dreadnought and battleship) too so I'm obviously weird.

I'll note that the Shapeways upgrade kit in combination with the WK Galaxy and a repaint looks awesome. I drew up a card for it but I also sometimes use the mini for Riker's Mirror Enterprise.

Note this picture. The ship on the bottom is the WK ship with the upgrade kit and the similar ship up top is the one piece ship from Shapeways. Neither is bad looking but I prefer the WK ship plus the upgrade pieces.

The intimidator is just above the modified WK Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a Intimidator then spec it up, this is all "what if's" anyway.

We know its got a spinal phaser lance and probably the same cloaking device as the refit D.

I would base it off the stock sov (since its a upgrade of it). Give it the old 4 point additional cloaking device tech like the defiant as a card and some kind of weapon upgrade for the phaser lance.

USS Enterprise E - Intimidator Class - unique - 34 points

5 - 1 - 5 - 6

Same movement dial as the Sov

Special Ability - Advanced Warp Field - Action

If you performed a straight white maneuver you may sensor echo using the 1 template as a free action.

If you do this, place an auxiliary token beside your ship

Personally I always thought it would be cool if it was a weapon that only fires in a line, but can hit multiple targets along that line, maybe:

Spinal Phaser Lance - 8 points - 5 attack

place the 6 forward template in front of your ship, this represents the shot of the Spinal phaser lance, any ships under the template are hit by the lance strike. Roll attack dice against each of these ships starting with the ship closest to your ship and subtracting one attack dice for each ship afterwards down to a minimum of one. This upgrade can only be mounted on a federation ship and costs +5 points for any other ship than a Intimidator class
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We know the Galaxy X (or Galaxy Dreadnought) has a spinal lance. Do we know the Intimidator (3 nacelle Sovereign) does too? I don't play STO so I don't know.

You have some interesting ideas but if we compare your perk to the Prometheus, we get just an extra move for an action. Yours doesn't need
the action but does get an aux. Not a bad trade, nice idea.

Your spinal lance is also interesting but it doesn't seem to do enough for you for the points. How often is the enemy going to line up perfectly? Mine for the Galaxy X just adds a dice if the enemy ship is in the 90 degree front arc (both 90 and 180 front arcs are drawn on the stand. The 180 is the standard arc and the 90 is there for the spinal lance. Even that doesn't get used enough to be overpowered. It's not unlike Riker's enterprise.

I do like your approach though for the Intimidator. I love me my 3 nacelle ships, I just think they look right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Intimidator does not appear in Star Trek Online, it is only the Galaxy dreadnought that shows up. My impression of the Intimidator has always been that it is a fan attempt to upgrade the Sov to the same standard as the refit D from "all good things".

Whats the stats of your own Intimidator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
The Intimidator does not appear in Star Trek Online, it is only the Galaxy dreadnought that shows up. My impression of the Intimidator has always been that it is a fan attempt to upgrade the Sov to the same standard as the refit D from "all good things".

Whats the stats of your own Intimidator?
I haven't done them yet. I've built SO many ships in this game (mostly for the Federation faction) that I've never played some of them. I recently bought the ship and painted it up so it hasn't been spec'd up yet.

The easy way to spec the stats is a slight variation to the Sovereign. It's tempting to bump it's PWV to 6 but this might be unfair. But it might get to 6 by the perk or by a spinal laser thing. Or it might just get an extra shield or a better upgrade bar or even slightly better maneuvering. There has to be some advantage. I do like my maneuvering options so having a maneuvering based action or a perk that does a maneuver in exchange for a aux token might be a possibility.

If I make it AS the Intimidator, then it can play in the same fleet as the Enterprise E. If I make it the USS Enterprise E (refitted) then it couldn't be in the same fleet as the E because it would be the same ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls