Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lichtenstein
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that When Revealed effects occur when a card is revealed from the Encounter deck, but in the Staging Step of the Quest phase:

Quote:
Enemy and Location cards revealed in this manner are placed in the staging area....

So here is the reason why I ask.

I have Ranger Spikes sitting in the staging area waiting for an eligible Enemy, but the revealed Enemy turns out to be a Goblin Follower with the text: "When Revealed: Goblin Follower engages the last player."

So does the Goblin Follower get trapped by the Ranger Spikes or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played these cards before, but I would say yes it does attach and Goblin Follower still engages you because you aren't making an engagement check against it. Just like Son of Arnor does not use an engagement check. and therefore don't know what I'm talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I would argue the opposite. When revealed effects are completed prior to the Goblin being placed into the staging area and thus the spikes would not be attached to the goblin as it engages the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Huntley
msg tools
Gumps wrote:
Actually, I would argue the opposite. When revealed effects are completed prior to the Goblin being placed into the staging area and thus the spikes would not be attached to the goblin a it engages the player.

I think this is correct. My understanding is that the ordering is roughly as follows.

Take card from encounter deck and look at it. The card is now in-play but not in any particular zone such as the staging area.
Resolve Thalin-like passives caused by its being revealed.
Resolve the card's When Revealed effect.
Resolve any Forced effects triggered by its being revealed.
Trigger any Responses triggered by its being revealed.
Add the card to the staging area if it hasn't been placed anywhere else.
Trigger Ranger Spikes-like passives triggered by its being added to the staging area.
Trigger any Forced effects triggered by its being added to the staging are.
Trigger any Responses triggered by its being added to the staging area.

However, this isn't entirely clear from the rules, so I could be wrong.

Some other effects interrupt this sequence, such as Test of Will. I suspect the game would be more understandable if there were two types of "instant" abilities (e.g. Response and Interrupt) rather than just Response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on card texts; the goblin skips right over the staging area (and the spikes) to become engaged with the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lichtenstein
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Based on card texts; the goblin skips right over the staging area (and the spikes) to become engaged with the player.

If this is true, then I think I misplayed the scenario, though it wouldn't have affected very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.