Subject: Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I use free shipping as an excuse to buy more gamesMicrobadge: Minnesota Twins fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Northwestern UniversityMicrobadge: Bass Guitar fan
So I know there is a question about this in the FAQ, but it was kind of confusing.

A mouse can use more than one ability per round, correct? Just not more than one during its turn?

In other words a mouse could use an ability during the turn of every initiative card? Or is a turn determined by each figure?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
So I know there is a question about this in the FAQ, but it was kind of confusing.

A mouse can use more than one ability per round, correct? Just not more than one during its turn?

In other words a mouse could use an ability during the turn of every initiative card? Or is a turn determined by each figure?

Thanks!
During any single turn at most 1 ability can be used.

So, if Collin uses Give Order on Nez, Nez can't use the received action to Thundersqueak because an ability has already been activated this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can only use one ability card per mouse turn, until it comes back to that mouse's turn again. That means you have to go through the initiative track.

you can't use an ability card on other mouse's turns.

Just for reference purposes to the rules:

1. On page 7 it explains "Taking a Turn with a mouse hero
2. This outlines what a turn is.
3. Underneath that section it explains that only one ability card can be used per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
oppedj02 wrote:
You can only use one ability card per mouse turn, until it comes back to that mouse's turn again. That means you have to go through the initiative track.
A mouse may activate abilities more than once per round (of initiative) if he limits to one activation per mouse turn.
For example, Filtch may use Energy Rush during its turn and, later in the same round, use Dodge as an enemy comes close to him.

Quote:
Yes, you can. Some abilities, such as Guard are also specifically designed with that purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
bassman211 wrote:

Thanks!

So, if Collin uses Give Order on Nez, Nez can't use the received action to Thundersqueak because an ability has already been activated this turn.
The rules say a mouse can use one ability per turn. I do not see where it restricts abilities to being usable only by the mouse whose turn it currently is. So Collin can use Give Order on his turn (Collin's one ability for that turn) and Nez can use Thundersqueak (his one ability for that same turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
Microbadge: My PbF character rocks a bannerMicrobadge: Rockin' the DonutMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Murray BallMicrobadge: “Yet feet that wandering have gone / Turn at last to home afar.” Christopher Tolkien, 1924-2020
cbrua wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

The rules say a mouse can use one ability per turn. I do not see where it restricts abilities to being usable only by the mouse whose turn it currently is. So Collin can use Give Order on his turn (Collin's one ability for that turn) and Nez can use Thundersqueak (his one ability for that same turn).
(my underline)
Do you have a rules reference for that?
I was sure it was 1 ability in total per turn. e.g. Even on a minions turn, if Filch used Dodge then Nez couldn't use Resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
Do you have a rules reference for that?
Page 7, "Mouse Ability Cards"
A mouse can only use one ability card per turn, even if that mouse has multiple abilities that count as free actions.

There is nothing that says only one mouse can use an ability on a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
oppedj02 wrote:
A mouse may activate abilities more than once per round (of initiative) if he limits to one activation per mouse turn.
For example, Filtch may use Energy Rush during its turn and, later in the same round, use Dodge as an enemy comes close to him.

Quote:
Yes, you can. Some abilities, such as Guard are also specifically designed with that purpose.
Yeah, you're totally correct. I rushed my response and wasn't clear as a result. I thought the OP was thinking the same ability could be used for each mouse's turn down the initiative track and that's what I was trying to convey (albeit badly).

There was a previous thread that clarified that the designer was trying to limit one ability card use per spot on the initiative track. So if Collin used his ability to let Nez act, Nez couldn't use Thundersqueak, since an ability has already been used on the space where Collin's initiative card is. I think that is a better way to think about the ability card limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oppedj02 wrote:
There was a previous thread that clarified that the designer was trying to limit one ability card use per spot on the initiative track. So if Collin used his ability to let Nez act, Nez couldn't use Thundersqueak, since an ability has already been used on the space where Collin's initiative card is. I think that is a better way to think about the ability card limitation.
If that is the case then Plaid Hat needs to update their FAQ because right now there is nothing in the rule book or the FAQ that limits ability cards to one per turn for the whole party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
oppedj02 wrote:
If that is the case then Plaid Hat needs to update their FAQ because right now there is nothing in the rule book or the FAQ that limits ability cards to one per turn for the whole party.
Probably. You can see their response here on the Plaid Hat site for Mice and Mystics Rules Questions: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/printthread.php?t=20...

6th post down by Grungebob on page 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I am checking loads of them for possible rule errors we aren't aware of in our games.
Quite a bit of confusion here it seems.

Rule on page 7:
A mouse can only use one ability card per turn, even if that mouse has multiple abilities that are free actions.

My impression:
When the initiative card of a mouse or minion comes up, a certain mouse can only use 1 ability. Is does NOT say that another mouse can not use an ability.

Give Order ability:
The card says that the ordered mouse can perform 1 action.

Rules on page 7:
There are 5 actions for a mouse:
• Scurry
• Battle
• Search
• Recover
• Explore

My impression:
Using an ability is NOT an action, unless it says so. So if Collin gives orders to another mouse, that mouse can not use an ability, unless the card says to use it as an action.
So in my eyes Collin can use his ability card to give orders to Nez, but Nez is not allowed to use his Thundersqueak ability. Since Nez is not given a 'turn' but just a single action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lloyd
msg tools
"A mouse can only use one ability card per turn . . ."

It seems that everyone interprets this to mean that a mouse can use only one ability per turn, rather than one ability CARD (potentially multiple times, depending on the ability). But some of the cards (e.g., Backslash) explicitly state that they can be used only once per turn, while others (e.g., Energy Rush), do not.

Has PHG ever clarified this point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oppedj02 wrote:

tlloyd wrote:
"A mouse can only use one ability card per turn . . ."

It seems that everyone interprets this to mean that a mouse can use only one ability per turn, rather than one ability CARD (potentially multiple times, depending on the ability). But some of the cards (e.g., Backslash) explicitly state that they can be used only once per turn, while others (e.g., Energy Rush), do not.

Has PHG ever clarified this point?

See this thread

Jerry Hawthorn, the game's designer, is the fourth poster in that thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls