Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Malice fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Games on Your Table - Together, we game alone...Microbadge: Dungeon Crawler fan
I just played a game where I intentionally kept an alarm or 2 going off on the first floor at all times. This kept the guard chasing alarms and as he was never able to deactivate ALL alarms he never flipped through the patrol deck, not once. Subsequently, his movement die was also stuck at 2 (until a safe was cracked) and it made for quite an easy guard to avoid. I'm thinking about drawing a patrol card whenever an alarm is deactivated, rather than waiting until they are all shut off. As it stands I was definitely missing the feeling of tension a good heist deserves. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Pax Baltica fan - RussiaMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - SaxonyMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - DenmarkMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - PolandMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - Sweden
Note that you add the number of activated alarms on his floor to a guard's movement value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Divine Right fanMicrobadge: Ogre fanMicrobadge: Half-Life series fanMicrobadge: Silver Image Uploader
I think you may have missed a rule: The guard moves the speed shown on the die PLUS the number of alarms currently active...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Malice fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Games on Your Table - Together, we game alone...Microbadge: Dungeon Crawler fan
That's already part of the rules... without doing that it'd be ridiculously easy. Do you mean to say do one or the other? I feel like the temporary speed boost from alarms is way more manageable than the permanent boost from cycling the patrol deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Pax Baltica fan - RussiaMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - SaxonyMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - DenmarkMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - PolandMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - Sweden
If the guards are getting one or two extra moves every turn from alarms, what's the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
The alarms just make it so I can direct and manage his speed and direction without any real penalty. I know exactly where he's going at all times and as long as I trip another alarm before he gets there, even at a turn with 4 movement, I can lead him wherever I want. If the pressure gets too great I can let him draw a single patrol card, move his slow 2, and then start the cycle all over. I guess it feels like too much control without (lasting) penalty. I'll play with it, thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Innovation Deluxe fanMicrobadge: Fields of Arle fanMicrobadge: Steam: Rails to Riches fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fan
Wlfgmr3 wrote:
The alarms just make it so I can direct and manage his speed and direction without any real penalty. I know exactly where he's going at all times and as long as I trip another alarm before he gets there, even at a turn with 4 movement, I can lead him wherever I want. If the pressure gets too great I can let him draw a single patrol card, move his slow 2, and then start the cycle all over. I guess it feels like too much control without (lasting) penalty. I'll play with it, thanks for the feedback!
You could make setting off alarms cost you a stealth token. (Or maybe just the second or higher concurrently activated alarm costs a stealth.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Another thing to consider is how many actions this is costing you versus just eating a stealth token once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Space For Rent
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
Microbadge: Kaffedrake's Microbadge Micro Reviews fanMicrobadge: timesMicrobadge: I have collected over 50 witty Kaffedrake-isms about my badgesMicrobadge: equalsMicrobadge: Peak Oil fan
I suppose you could remove alarm tokens from the game (back in the box) when deactivated, and you lose if the supply runs out.

It would discourage that tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: mit uns würd' ich nicht spielenMicrobadge: Tragedy Looper fanMicrobadge: I play both wargames and euros
cinderbike wrote:
I suppose you could remove alarm tokens from the game (back in the box) when deactivated, and you lose if the supply runs out.

It would discourage that tactic.
Nice! It would also be rather thematic, with the SWAT Team finally arriving and all that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam phototraveler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm also wondering was this a SOLO play variant? in our 4-player and 2-player games with the guard moving 4 or 2 times for each character movement this strategy just wouldn't work. It also depends on the arrangement of secret passages, walls, and such, but in general I just don't see this strategy working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk-Jan Mulders
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Settlers of Catan fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne iOS fanMicrobadge: Scythe fan
How can you make him go from alarm to alarm without cycling through the patrol deck? Every time an alarm is deactivated a new patrol destination should be taken from the patrol deck. At least according to my rule book. Unless we misread something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
Microbadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: L.A. Lakers fanMicrobadge: San Francisco 49ers fan
dirkjan82 wrote:
How can you make him go from alarm to alarm without cycling through the patrol deck? Every time an alarm is deactivated a new patrol destination should be taken from the patrol deck. At least according to my rule book. Unless we misread something.
He only draws a new patrol card if there aren't any more alarms to visit. Once all the alarms are deactivated, then he will draw a new patrol card and proceed as normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls